• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Doctors were prosecuted, but not women.

This construction of the rule falsely assumes that doctors are necessary condition to terminate a pregnancy. The rule is for the protection of the baby, not the mother. I doubt the proffered distinction matters in any way to the child.

This construction of the rule falsely assumes that doctors are necessary condition to terminate a pregnancy. The rule is for the protection of the baby, not the mother. I doubt the proffered distinction matters in any way to the child.

I just answered the question that was asked with a factual statement.

Question for those who know more than I - under current state laws, if a doctor performs an illegal abortion (use jhmd's example at 39 weeks), what is the typical punishment under current laws? And is there any kind of punishment for the woman under current laws? I know this will vary by state, but I'm curious if there is a "typical" structure.

I just answered the question that was asked with a factual statement.

I know that, and you are correct, but doing things incorrectly in the past is not a sufficient reason to continue doing them that way in the future.

Question for those who know more than I - under current state laws, if a doctor performs an illegal abortion (use jhmd's example at 39 weeks), what is the typical punishment under current laws? And is there any kind of punishment for the woman under current laws? I know this will vary by state, but I'm curious if there is a "typical" structure.

This is the essence of my question, too. If you wish to skewer Trump for his politically convenient adoption of a pro-life stance (and let there be no doubt that Chris Mathews ate his lunch), I won't stop you. But the political vulnerability in enforcing the "new" law is counterbalanced by not enforcing the current law in the second and third trimester. We just sort of wave our collective hands and wish the issue away.

In terms of semi-analogous precedent (lower case "p"), if a shooter (to ease our sensibilities, let's make him a poorly educated white Presbyterian from the foothills of South Carolina) walks into a gas station and opens fire with an ASSAULT WEAPON (is there another kind?) purchased using the GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE and kills a mother carrying a 39 week old baby right-challenged clump of tissues in her womb, and both mother and not-yet-born-child not-child die on the scene, that gets charged, tried and convicted as two homicides all the time.

If the same mom unlawfully terminated her own pregnancy without a doctor, that's play-on? I swore I had been assured that current left-leaning doctrine styled itself as the antidote to back-alley abortions.

If mom has the right to unilaterally terminate her pregnancy at any time for any reason on demand, then why does it matter which instrumentality she employs? If my friend Numbers hadn't retreated to his safe space, I would point out that that is ideologically inconsistent.

Last edited:
How frequent are abortions at 38 weeks+?

I legitimately don't know, but I would guess that they are astonishingly rare.

jhmd wastes an astonishing amount of time writing long posts that say nothing that no one reads anyway

Probably very few because women who don't want to keep their baby can terminate their pregnancies prior to viability. That's the essence of the compromise. It's morally messy, but I will grant you more efficient. Lots of bad things are.

Posted for general information. http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/03/donald-trump-illegal-abortions-punish-women-221391

The anti-abortion group March for Life, one of many organizations to rebuke the billionaire, said his comments ran afoul of the core tenets of the anti-abortion movement.
“Mr. Trump’s comment today is completely out of touch with the pro-life movement and even more with women who have chosen such a sad thing as abortion,” said Jeanne Mancini, president of the March for Life Education and Defense Fund. “No pro-lifer* would ever want to punish a woman who has chosen abortion. This is against the very nature of what we are about. We invite a woman who has gone down this route to consider paths to healing, not punishment.”
The anti-abortion movement in recent decades has tried to avoid the perception that it is “punishing” women for having abortions. Instead, it has focused on penalties for the physicians who provide them, such as imposing medical or legal restrictions on their practice. In some rare situations, women have faced charges associated with abortions they have attempted on their own.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-...l-abortions-punish-women-221391#ixzz44aG5csVi
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

*The spokesman for March for Life later clarified "Well there's some crazy ginger in North Carolina ranting otherwise on a message board, but I guess having orange hair makes you as crazy as having orange skin."

Posted for general information. http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/03/donald-trump-illegal-abortions-punish-women-221391

*The spokesman for March for Life later clarified "Well there's some crazy ginger in North Carolina ranting otherwise on a message board, but I guess having orange hair makes you as crazy as having orange skin."

Your quotation was one sentence(1) too long for your point. You should do a better job editing what you copy and paste.

(1) "In some rare situations, women have faced charges associated with abortions they have attempted on their own."

From the CDC:

In 2010, most (65.9%) abortions were performed at ≤8 weeks' gestation, and 91.9% were performed at ≤13 weeks' gestation. Few abortions (6.9%) were performed at 14–20 weeks' gestation, and even fewer (1.2%) were performed at ≥21 weeks' gestation.

I imagine the number for 30+ weeks would be infinitesimal. Third trimester starts with the 28th week. Viability is debatable and certainly a fluid concept, but I think most people would agree that it is somewhere between 21 and 27 weeks, so let's call it 24 for the sake of argument. The better hypothetical for my question is probably something like an abortion at 25 weeks. Still very small numbers, but more realistic than 38 weeks.

A woman had sex yesterday afternoon. The sperm fertilizes the egg. Today, she drives in the HOV lane to work. She gets pulled over and ticketed for not having 2 people in the vehicle.

This is fun.

God didn't forbid abortions in the Bible. In some cases they were encouraged. You people think you are better/smarter than God? Blasphemy!

God didn't forbid abortions in the Bible. In some cases they were encouraged. You people think you are better/smarter than God? Blasphemy!

The Bible is a living, breathing document. It says what I need it to say, which can vary wildly between issues as I may from time to time require. Let's not be constrained but what it actually says. Sure, you're reading the Ten Commandments, but you're not reading the penumbra of the Substantive Thou-Shalt-Not-Covet Clause. Or something.

Good point. When I consider this clause, I have determined that God wants me to force my wife to have an abortion if she cheats on me. Thanks, God!

The Test for an Unfaithful Wife
11 Then the Lord said to Moses, 12 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘If a man’s wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him 13 so that another man has sexual relations with her, and this is hidden from her husband and her impurity is undetected (since there is no witness against her and she has not been caught in the act), 14 and if feelings of jealousy come over her husband and he suspects his wife and she is impure—or if he is jealous and suspects her even though she is not impure— 15 then he is to take his wife to the priest. He must also take an offering of a tenth of an ephah[c] of barley flour on her behalf. He must not pour olive oil on it or put incense on it, because it is a grain offering for jealousy, a reminder-offering to draw attention to wrongdoing.

16 “‘The priest shall bring her and have her stand before the Lord. 17 Then he shall take some holy water in a clay jar and put some dust from the tabernacle floor into the water. 18 After the priest has had the woman stand before the Lord, he shall loosen her hair and place in her hands the reminder-offering, the grain offering for jealousy, while he himself holds the bitter water that brings a curse. 19 Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, “If no other man has had sexual relations with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you. 20 But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband”— 21 here the priest is to put the woman under this curse—“may the Lord cause you to become a curse[d] among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. 22 May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries.”

“‘Then the woman is to say, “Amen. So be it.”

Good point. When I consider this clause, I have determined that God wants me to force my wife to have an abortion if she cheats on me. Thanks, God!

If you like that, you'll love modern day Islam.

it either is a child or it isn't. If you believe that life begins at conception, then it does.

If you believe that life begins at viability, then it does.

If you don't believe that life occurs by the point of viability (does that make this late arriving crowd "Neo-birthers"?), then you do not agree with the holding of the seminal (sorry...) case on the defining issue of the last 100 years of Supreme Court jurisprudence. Welcome to the extreme.

no one but God knows when a person becomes a person:

"As you do not know how the spirit comes to the bones in the womb of a woman with child, so you do not know the work of God who makes everything.” (Ecclesiastes 11:5)

Back