• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

The majors can certainly do whatever they please. They won’t remain as important if half or even a 1/3 of the worlds top players aren’t included.

Same with OWGR. It will become a joke if it isn’t actually ranking the worlds top players.

The majors can certainly do whatever they please. They won’t remain as important if half or even a 1/3 of the worlds top players aren’t included.

Same with OWGR. It will become a joke if it isn’t actually ranking the worlds top players.

The OWGR has rules for any tour to have events qualify for ranking points. IIRC, one of those rules is that tour must have at least a one year track record. Another criteria is the size of the field (obviously winning an event with only 48 players is a different test than winning an event with 156 players), another criteria is the number of holes for the event. If LIV wants OWGR play legit full field events where players can attempt to qualify for the tour, play events with legit fields and cuts. Play 72 hole events. There is a reason why a group of 16 golfers can't randomly play 18 holes and ask for OWGR ranking points. The LIV Tour as presently constituted is merely an exhibition with closed fields and tricked up rules. There is a reason why OWGR points are given to the McManus Pro-Am or the Hero World Challenge, even though those events have elite fields. They are exhibition events.

There is a reason why OWGR points are NOT given to the McManus Pro-Am or the Hero World Challenge, even though those events have elite fields. They are exhibition events.

There were all kinds of rules that existed for all kinds of reasons. They change.

We can debate sports washing, has the MBS's regime changed etc. But sort of a separate point, isn't all this money being shelled out stealing from the Saudi citizens? Not hearing that brought up much

We can debate sports washing, has the MBS's regime changed etc. But sort of a separate point, isn't all this money being shelled out stealing from the Saudi citizens? Not hearing that brought up much

Depends how you look at it. In a way it is, but at the same time you can make the argument that it is being invested for the long term so that when the switch from oil happens their economy is diversified away from being reliant on solely pumping oil so they don't fulfil the "my grandchildren will be riding camels" prophecy.

Let's assume Saudi Arabia is all butterflies and sunshine. Now look at LIV, only without the human rights component (which should be significant). It would still be a government with endless money paying absurd amounts of money to mostly washed up and otherwise non-competitive players for 54-hole shotgun events where Greg Norman throws a handful of beers to 7 fans. Is that good for golf, or anyone other than those getting paid? Maybe that question doesn't matter anymore (rules change, of course), but I don't think it would be good.

Throw back in the Saudi component, and no, it's terrible for golf.

Of course it’s terrible for golf.

And the PGA Tour made it much worse and still is. Let them have their events. They will anyway.

Like the continued existence of the Joel Coliseum, one could debate if some other approach would have worked. But one cannot debate that the PGA Tours plan failed miserably.

DR, have you considered building your own basketball arena and offering Wake a few hundred million dollars to play in it?

DR, have you considered building your own basketball arena and offering Wake a few hundred million dollars to play in it?

No but if I had a few billion I would.

Good idea too because then I could actually create the proper arena rather than trust others to do so with my money.

Depends how you look at it. In a way it is, but at the same time you can make the argument that it is being invested for the long term so that when the switch from oil happens their economy is diversified away from being reliant on solely pumping oil so they don't fulfil the "my grandchildren will be riding camels" prophecy.

They need to give Phil $100 million to get the golf business going in their country? Yeah, not buying that at all.

Of course it’s terrible for golf.

And the PGA Tour made it much worse and still is. Let them have their events. They will anyway.

Like the continued existence of the Joel Coliseum, one could debate if some other approach would have worked. But one cannot debate that the PGA Tours plan failed miserably.

I would respond to this but the ease of it is starting to feel like bullying and I feel kind of bad for the guy, his despicable mindsets aside.

As for the topic of LIV, really good players are incredibly plentiful. These knotheads that go take the LIV money will just simply not be missed and they will be forgotten and therefore it doesnt hurt the PGA Tour. Some other Tour player will shoot 64 to win on Sunday and win 3 of his next 5 PGA Tour events and then another and then another. All while the DJs, Sergios, and Stensons of the world play a handful of these LIV country club dogfight scrambles and nobody notices and even remembers them. And they all know it and traded that - which is their right - for a big check. But they are not relevant golfers anymore. Every single year known players drop off leaderboards and are replaced by others and the PGA Tour doesnt fold. And that's because its the Tour that has the history and the best players and the depth.

the PGA probably wouldn't be so aggressive on LIV if Norman and Mickelson didn't run their mouths about how shitty the PGA is and LIV is coming after them

i feel like LIV actually set the tone for the PGA and LIV not being able to co-exist

They need to give Phil $100 million to get the golf business going in their country? Yeah, not buying that at all.

It's sportswashing and they want to create the impression that Saudi Arabia is modern and safe place to travel to and do business with. You do that by associating yourself with widely known people. Is that a shitty thing to do? Yes. Are they actually a modern society rather than a tyrannical religious state? No. Are they overpaying? Yes. Will it work? Maybe.

How do you know if they are the world's top players if they aren't regularly competing against the rest of the world's top players?

How do you know if they are the world's top players if they aren't regularly competing against the rest of the world's top players?

Haha it's like the BCS. " PAAAWLL, the computers really like Talor Gooch. You can't keep him out, PAAWWLL!"

Seems like they could have sportswashed by partnering with the DP or Asian tours but they wanted to take down the PGA Tour instead.

Seems like they could have sportswashed by partnering with the DP or Asian tours but they wanted to take down the PGA Tour instead.

Bingo. DP World wanted to partner to help the Challenge Tour get more money (minor league to DP). Saudis passed.

They did make a big investment in the Asian Tour

Looks like new additions are Stenson, Charles Howell III, and Jason Kokrak, per NLU Twitter

Not sure who is targeting players for LIV, but if LIV is capping fields at 48, they have enough Washington General types in the LIV camp already. PGAT isn't losing sponsors and ratings over the defections of Pat Perez, Charles Howell III and Jason Kokrak. "Got to stop what I am doing, Charles Howell III is making a run at Ian Poulter". Don't think so.

Back