• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Respect & Patriotism vs. Free Speech & Protest

Most of American poor people look like you. Do you consider yourself capable of being a victim of racism?

I've been told people like me and my Asian-American friends are held back by racist or discriminatory affirmative action policy. Was I misled?

I've been told people like me and my Asian-American friends are held back by racist or discriminatory affirmative action policy. Was I misled?

I'll take half and half, heavy on the ice. Don't dv7 this bet.

Guessing geometry wasn't a requirement at UNC. Some weakass proof right there.

Guessing geometry wasn't a requirement at UNC. Some weakass proof right there.

While I consider your "poor" in a number of critical areas, I would not put you in the category when it comes to financial resources. Or facial hair.

Half and half, please.

Call me what you want, I know a poster running away from an argument when I see it.

Oh get over yourself. You don't tell those feel-good lies to your own kids, stop foisting them on the children of others.

While I consider your "poor" in a number of critical areas, I would not put you in the category when it comes to financial resources. Or facial hair.

Half and half, please.

I'm confused. I thought when you said the majority of the American poor looked like me, you were referring to the color of my skin. Not my middle class job or abundant beard.

But I'm glad to know you no longer find Affirmative Action racist. Minor victory.

nobody unilaterally declares victory as often, or with such panache, as jhmd. He just wins so much, I wonder if he gets tired of winning so much. Sad!

Oh get over yourself. You don't tell those feel-good lies to your own kids, stop foisting them on the children of others.

Much the same way you cannot run the country like a business, you also cannot run a government like your own family.

You're right. When my kids blurt out a total non sequitur in response to something I say, I call them on it, in the hopes that they will learn basic reasoning and communications skills. But keep telling yourself you are winning.

a_winner_is_you20110724-22047-1nd3wif.jpg

I'm confused. I thought when you said the majority of the American poor looked like me, you were referring to the color of my skin. Not my middle class job or abundant beard.

But I'm glad to know you no longer find Affirmative Action racist. Minor victory.

Oh, it's definitely racist, which is why you guys get so insecure and fearful when SCOTUS considers just how racist it is. It's doing to a poor job of holding back people who engage in the big three behaviors. Weird, isn't it? It's almost like...oh, nevermind. Team Too Far Gone isn't interested. Good luck convincing poor people what they can't do. Let me know how it turns out.

eta: But before you pivot, how are we coming on that tea?

Last edited:
Much the same way you cannot run the country like a business, you also cannot run a government like your own family.

If you run your family like an overwhelming body of data says you should, you suddenly need the government a lot less. Weird.

Acknowledging structural barriers that some people in society face that other people don't face is not "convincing poor people what they can't do." Sometimes reality isn't as optimistic as some would like, but that doesn't mean ignorance of those barriers is preferred does it?

If you run your family like an overwhelming body of data says you should, you suddenly need the government a lot less. Weird.

This seems like a pretty apolitical take.

The entire paradigm of political dialogue is how to best address problems from a macro level. Your consistent take is "people should just be more responsible." That's not even a policy position, that's just a statement on the human condition.

Acknowledging structural barriers that some people in society face that other people don't face is not "convincing poor people what they can't do." Sometimes reality isn't as optimistic as some would like, but that doesn't mean ignorance of those barriers is preferred does it?

We don't have to choose between ignoring barriers and surrendering to them. We could acknowledge barriers and then talk about ways to actually solve the problems. Change the oil, don't protest its age and filth.

This seems like a pretty apolitical take.

The entire paradigm of political dialogue is how to best address problems from a macro level. Your consistent take is "people should just be more responsible." That's not even a policy position, that's just a statement on the human condition.

What happens when then "macro solutions" cause a whole new set of "micro problems"? How do you convince true believers, cleansed in the elixir of the purity of their intentions, that 50 years into the macro solution, it's a macro failure? Since the data doesn't seem to register, what words would you like to hear?

We don't have to choose between ignoring barriers and surrendering to them. We could acknowledge barriers and then talk about ways to actually solve the problems. Change the oil, don't protest its age and filth.

usually you throw away the old oil, so I guess you support a massive overhaul of the police system

What happens when then "macro solutions" cause a whole new set of "micro problems"? How do you convince true believers, cleansed in the elixir of the purity of their intentions, that 50 years into the macro solution, it's a macro failure? Since the data doesn't seem to register, what words would you like to hear?

It feels like this is one of those times where you think you can just repeat something into truth, as if there has been 50 years of single-party top-down Democratic rule enforcing a welfare state. 50 years is a hefty claim considering it was a Democratic president who decimated welfare in the 90s. I'm not sure if he was changing the oil or a true believer, because it's impossible to follow your empty rhetoric, but regardless, the 50 year failure myth just isn't as strong as you'd like it to be.

Back