• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The new rules for tipping

DistrictDeacon

Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...se-are-the-basic-rules-you-should-know-about/

Tipping in America has officially gotten out of control when you need rules for 16+ different situations on how, when, and why.

Why are owner's expecting tips? They don't make less than minimum wage.

Why is a bartender who pours an expensive beer expecting more than when he pours a Bud Light?

Does <2 minutes of effort putting my order in a plastic bag worth 15% of the order?

In trumps America there will be no tipping! Also I agree bartenders are the worst of all when all they are getting is a beer. If there was a cooler out I'd gladly get it myself.

In trumps America there will be no tipping! Also I agree bartenders are the worst of all when all they are getting is a beer. If there was a cooler out I'd gladly get it myself.

Especially if they're popping a cap off instead of pouring from a tap.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...se-are-the-basic-rules-you-should-know-about/

Tipping in America has officially gotten out of control when you need rules for 16+ different situations on how, when, and why.

Why are owner's expecting tips? They don't make less than minimum wage.

Why is a bartender who pours an expensive beer expecting more than when he pours a Bud Light?

Does <2 minutes of effort putting my order in a plastic bag worth 15% of the order?

If you pay $3 for a BL and tip $1, or pay $6 for a Ballast Point and still tip $1, no bartender is going to balk. You should still remember that they're making less than $3/hour, so if they're friendly and provide you with good service, why would you purposely stiff them just to prove a point?

I am of the strong opinion that everyone should work in the service or retail industry for at least six months of their life. Seems like most people who are dicks about tipping never worked a day of their life in a service industry.

That said, I'm also of the opinion that tipping is ludicrous. Pay service workers a livable wage and remove the need for tipping altogether. The only argument I ever hear against this is "but then I'll get shitty service", even though this kind of system works literally everywhere else in the world.

/rant

I'm conscious of (and basically follow) almost everything on that list, but I've never tipped a barista. Is that standard?

I make my own coffee 98+% of the time, so I don't order out much. When I do, it's always straight coffee and not something complicated (excepting a place that pours over or french presses).

I'm conscious of (and basically follow) almost everything on that list, but I've never tipped a barista. Is that standard?

I make my own coffee 98+% of the time, so I don't order out much. When I do, it's always straight coffee and not something complicated (excepting a place that pours over or french presses).

I don't typically tip baristas because I just get coffee. If I got a oreo pumpkin skinny latte with extra whipped cream and extra syrup, sure.

The shit that bugs me about delivery is the tip on top of a delivery charge. I still do it, but the delivery charge seems to be a fairly recent phenomenon

The shit that bugs me about delivery is the tip on top of a delivery charge. I still do it, but the delivery charge seems to be a fairly recent phenomenon

Didn't they add the delivery charge when gas prices were high? Just like the airlines, they forgot to remove them when gas prices lowered.

Provision Company in Southport, North Carolina, FTW.

Just look at the numbers: Waiters in the District make an average of $27,360 a year, according to a report issued last year by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Anyone who’s paid rent in this city knows it takes a lot more than that to live comfortably here.

I'd be interested to know how much of that is straight cash homie as opposed to reportable compensation. That is probably about $35k in normal wages (though that could be a lot less now than when I worked in food service given the plethora of people who pay with plastic now).

Take out tipping/fast food tipping is stupid. They put my food in a bag and handed it to me, tough shit. The local grocery store does the same thing x10 bags and never expects a tip.

I normally tip 20-25% while dining unless the wait staff is just terrible. Then I try to factor in if they're short staffer or if the worker is just lazy/bad at their job.

Crap, Townie thinks I'm cheap.

I'm all for tipping. I'm tired of business using tipping as a method to not pay their employees fairly.

The way I see it, we'd be paying for it up front if we weren't on the back end. There are some places around town here that do the fair wage no tipping thing, and it just means their prices are 20-25% higher. I'm fine either way.

All states should do what CA does. Servers must be paid minimum wage.

The way I see it, we'd be paying for it up front if we weren't on the back end. There are some places around town here that do the fair wage no tipping thing, and it just means their prices are 20-25% higher. I'm fine either way.

And I agree. I want everything fair and on the up-and-up, taxes paid, etc.

I'd be curious how many servers get a small tip and think "Wow, I need to improve my level of service" rather than "That table was cheap." The "level of service" argument seems ridiculous.

Employers should pay their employees for doing their job. Pay shouldn't depend the extent to which customers adhere to a complicated uniquely American cultural practice.

I never give a tip if I order only one bottle of beer at a bar.

The problem with saying it would just be built into the price is that for the most part the job remains the same if the bill is cheap or the bill is expensive. You take an order, you bring food. You get a beer you give it to me. It doesn't matter if the food was 50 dollars or 10 dollars, the beer was 3 dollars or 10, it's the same action. The only time you can argue otherwise is if the action changes like making a craft cocktail etc..

Back