• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The new rules for tipping

There's a fine line between "perks" and "stuff you basically paid for in advance via huge tips"

Here's another instance of something more challenging to comprehend if you've not experienced it, but being a regular and having the bartender know you and hook you up is an experience worth the extra $$$ from the outset. Don't delude yourself into thinking it's free, but the perks are great.

Absolutely. Consistently tip well on a weekly basis and suddenly you get served as soon as you sit down, free apps and your NFL Sunday bucket has 8 or 9 beers instead of 5.

There's a fine line between "perks" and "stuff you basically paid for in advance via huge tips"

Fine, but that line doesn't really matter if you're enjoying your experience more.

but at Olive Garden i should pay a bigger tip if i ordered an entree instead of just soup and a salad?

Yes. Servers and bartenders are often evaluated on their overall tip percentage, especially relative to their peers. If you tip the same on a $15 check as you would on a $30 check, the server looks bad, just because you didn't feel like forking over an extra $3, regardless of their service or your experience. Again, reason #658 why everyone should spend at least some time working in one of these industries.

Also, don't eat at Olive Garden.

Y'all overstating how much extra tip is needed to be a VIP, especially at the neighborhood bar.

Ironic that people who hate tipping always demand less tips and higher wages for employees. But plenty of places do this already and have a ban on tipping, and the result is that generous tippers pay less and the cheap folks are forced into paying more.

I think a lot of people who hate the practice of tipping, hate it for the emotional and structural reasons, not the damage it does to their own wallet.

Yes. Servers and bartenders are often evaluated on their overall tip percentage, especially relative to their peers. If you tip the same on a $15 check as you would on a $30 check, the server looks bad, just because you didn't feel like forking over an extra $3, regardless of their service or your experience. Again, reason #658 why everyone should spend at least some time working in one of these industries.

Also, don't eat at Olive Garden.

this is clearly insanity. the customer is not responsible for how their evaluated by their boss or peers. i'm not ordering apps and 'zerts so the server gets extra kudos at the end of the night.

tipping servers and bartenders well is part of the deal if you want to be a grownup and do nice things, IMO. It's also a nice way to help out people you actually appreciate, like the neighborhood bar keep.

this is clearly insanity. the customer is not responsible for how their evaluated by their boss or peers. i'm not ordering apps and 'zerts so the server gets extra kudos at the end of the night.

tipping servers and bartenders well is part of the deal if you want to be a grownup and do nice things, IMO. It's also a nice way to help out people you actually appreciate, like the neighborhood concubine.

I know how you get down.

I tip fairly generously based on the idea that whoever I'm tipping is working harder than I am and they can use the extra $5.

do you $1/beer tippers count the beers on a cc receipt?

I don't think I could ever show my face to be a regular if I tipped $1 per beer on a credit card receipt.

Lots of other countries don't have tipping at all. They simply include "service fee" and taxes in the price of a meal. If you leave extra, they are unhappy.

I was recently in Japan and at one establishment a guy left a 100 yen coin (worth about a dollar). The server took off after him to give him the coin. Our Japanese hosts told us that leaving a tip was an insult to the servers.

Back