• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The new rules for tipping

If you're a competent tipper at a bar, it'll pay for itself by the end of the night.

Tipping is dumb. That said, we seem to be completely stuck with it. I am a generous tipper and follow pretty much all these rules, but tipping a bartender more because he's pouring a Sculpin instead of a Bud Lite is ridiculous. I tip $1 for each beer. I tip @20%+ of the total check if I'm drinking cocktails because that actually requires skill.

I am not a fan of tipping for counter service at Moe's and other fast casual places. The people behind the counter are not servers and have to make at least minimum wage by law. They are assembly line workers. I don't tip the guys who made my car.

The only argument I ever hear against this is "but then I'll get shitty service", even though this kind of system works literally everywhere else in the world.

The problem with this argument is that no waiter in the world has gotten a shitty tip and thought, "I wonder if my service did not meet their expectations. Perhaps I should reevaluate my approach next time. "

The reaction is always, "What a cheap asshole."

The real question this thread evokes is, "Does cow tipping actually exist or is it an urban legend?"

If you try to tip a cow over, wouldn't it wake up?

The problem with saying it would just be built into the price is that for the most part the job remains the same if the bill is cheap or the bill is expensive. You take an order, you bring food. You get a beer you give it to me. It doesn't matter if the food was 50 dollars or 10 dollars, the beer was 3 dollars or 10, it's the same action. The only time you can argue otherwise is if the action changes like making a craft cocktail etc..

ehhh if you've not experienced a completely different level of service at a great restaurant, i guess i could see where you're coming from, but there are definitely places that the difference in price and quality of food is also reflected at the service level

ehhh if you've not experienced a completely different level of service at a great restaurant, i guess i could see where you're coming from, but there are definitely places that the difference in price and quality of food is also reflected at the service level

but at Olive Garden i should pay a bigger tip if i ordered an entree instead of just soup and a salad?

If you're a competent tipper at a bar, it'll pay for itself by the end of the night.

I've found this to be true with haircuts as well. My barber passed over the holidays (RIP Lowell) so I've been lazy and going to Sportsclips near my house. A 6.00 cash tip before payment has landed me a free haircut, half off haircut, free MVP upgrade, and multiple holes punched on their rewards card each time I've gone so far.

I've found this to be true with haircuts as well. My barber passed over the holidays (RIP Lowell) so I've been lazy and going to Sportsclips near my house. A 6.00 cash tip before payment has landed me a free haircut, half off haircut, free MVP upgrade, and multiple holes punched on their rewards card each time I've gone so far.

i feel like JHMD but let's not forget our asterisks on the word free, here

if you leave huge tips all night for the bartender and they throw you a 'free' drink, it's not really free. you just feel better about padding homeboy's income

i feel like JHMD but let's not forget our asterisks on the word free, here

if you leave huge tips all night for the bartender and they throw you a 'free' drink, it's not really free. you just feel better about padding homeboy's income

Indeed

but at Olive Garden i should pay a bigger tip if i ordered an entree instead of just soup and a salad?

What if you have an unlimited card? How do you judge from what amount to tip?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...se-are-the-basic-rules-you-should-know-about/

Tipping in America has officially gotten out of control when you need rules for 16+ different situations on how, when, and why.

Why are owner's expecting tips? They don't make less than minimum wage.

Why is a bartender who pours an expensive beer expecting more than when he pours a Bud Light?

Does <2 minutes of effort putting my order in a plastic bag worth 15% of the order?

this. if you're at a fancy beer bar the quality o service is different.

I'm conscious of (and basically follow) almost everything on that list, but I've never tipped a barista. Is that standard?

I make my own coffee 98+% of the time, so I don't order out much. When I do, it's always straight coffee and not something complicated (excepting a place that pours over or french presses).

i tip baristas at the coffee shop across the street from my house because my americano will be ready by the time i order it if there's a line.

It's not just free drinks, but preferred service and a lifetime of friendship.

for the record, i always tip and tip well because the service industry sucks balls. i just hate tipping.

It's not just free drinks, but preferred service and a lifetime of friendship.

how much time are you spending at this bar?

Here's another instance of something more challenging to comprehend if you've not experienced it, but being a regular and having the bartender know you and hook you up is an experience worth the extra $$$ from the outset. Don't delude yourself into thinking it's free, but the perks are great.

for the record, i always tip and tip well because the service industry sucks balls. i just hate tipping.

Eh, it depends on what phase of life you're in. If you're waiting tables as an under 25 year old and it's a temporary gig (seasonal, especially), it can be pretty fun. Perhaps it helps if you're irresistibly good looking.

If you're over 25 and you work at a low-end/chain, time to move on.

Sure, you're paying for VIP service at your [whatever]. I can comprehend that, as MiNdBlOwInG as that is (it's not). I feel like that's a separate conversation from "what do i do when i got to a new restaurant or pick up a coffee"

Back