• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I went to a place called Manifesto last night. Really good spot to get a drink in Kansas City if you are in the vicinity. I tried the Colonel Taylor Single Barrel for the first time and thought it was okay. Also tried a local whiskey called Rieger which was smooth but had kind of a medicine after taste. I have seen it in our liquor stores and they want $40 a bottle. Now I know I don't want to buy it. They had Willet Rye on the menu which I wanted to try, but they were out.

Last edited:
Got a friend who was just at Willet distillery. He was supposed to pick up something good for me. I gave him a $100 budget. Waiting anxiously.

Got a friend who was just at Willet distillery. He was supposed to pick up something good for me. I gave him a $100 budget. Waiting anxiously.

When I visited last month they had Old Bardstown, Johnny Drum, Pure Kentucky and Pot Still available for purchase. Hadn't heard of the first two but do wish I had picked up a bottle of the Pot Still. None of the Family Estate, Rowan's Creek or Noah's Mill was available.

When I visited last month they had Old Bardstown, Johnny Drum, Pure Kentucky and Pot Still available for purchase. Hadn't heard of the first two but do wish I had picked up a bottle of the Pot Still. None of the Family Estate, Rowan's Creek or Noah's Mill was available.

With the Willet Pot Stove I always feel like I would be paying extra for the pretty bottle.

Called all the Mecklenburg stores for OWA, no dice

The Forsyth stores go to switchboatd

Correction: South Park location called me back and they have 7 cases. Stock up!

What is my best bet for finding something high end in the next year? Got that wedding coming up.

What is my best bet for finding something high end in the next year? Got that wedding coming up.

Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch (or Limited Edition Single Barrel).

You could also look for something like the BTAC - William Larue Weller or George T. Stagg. Those might require building a relationship with a local retailer though. If you decide to go that route, you can try to get some Van Winkle stuff also.

Last edited:
Correction: South Park location called me back and they have 7 cases. Stock up!

Yup, the Meck ABC website shows that's the only location with OWA 107. 60 bottles at $27.95 per as of 10 AM this morning.

I've said this before but I'll say it again. If any of you are OGD114 fans, buy it while you can. There are some rumors floating around out there regarding the future of the label.

Enjoying a pour courtesy of a friend this afternoon while watching a little golf and listening to some preseason baseball on the radio.

7a6275e72893b0488d6af19b0c0e3793.jpg

Trying a new one this afternoon. A lot of young corn on the nose along with some vanilla and brown sugar. The older bourbon is evident upon entry. Definitely tastes young mid palate though, with some heat popping up in the finish.

This is a blend of a 9 year sourced rye bourbon and a two year wheated bourbon (Smooth Ambler's own distillate). I'd like to see how this turns out when the wheated bourbon has a little more age.

d1204fd9f10b49a25e101599cd6f5891.jpg

Last edited:
Heard about this a few months ago. Was definitely interested in trying it.

Another new sample courtesy of a friend today. I went with a more structured review this time.

Nose - sweet citrus immediately, faint alcohol, orange, fresh paint (that's a weird one, but it's what popped into my head)

Appearance - gold, would have thought that it would be a little darker at 7yrs, but perhaps it was a lighter char.

Taste - orange off the top (definitely those curaçao barrels), spice, heat, caramel icing, light oak. Definitely has a slight triple sec characteristic to it.

Finish - short to me, lingering orange, slight heat at the end.

6068cf73918cfe280eefd2e869549356.jpg

Last edited:
Someone is offering me a 1.75L of WL Weller 12 yr for $100. Is that a deal I should pull the trigger on?

Back