• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I was dusty hunting in the back of my closet a couple of weeks ago and came across this one...I remembered you loved it!

I don't even love it as much anymore now that I've tried other things, but at $50, it was really good and an unbeatable value for an 18 year old single barrel.

thought this might interest you guys.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nine-in...lving-wild-turkey-pappy-van-winkle-1429636255

By TRIPP MICKLE
April 21, 2015 1:10 p.m. ET
5 COMMENTS
Law officials in Kentucky have busted a bourbon-theft ring and recovered more than $100,000 in stolen bourbon, including hard-to-find Pappy Van Winkle and several barrels of Wild Turkey.

A grand jury in Franklin County, Ky. on Tuesday indicted nine people involved in the ring, according to the sheriff’s office.

The local sheriff’s office said it uncovered the ring after receiving a tip and seizing barrels of bourbon stolen from Davide-Campari SpA’s Wild Turkey distillery in Lawrenceburg, Ky. It said the group also was involved in the 2013 theft of about 200 bottles of the rare and wildly popular Pappy Van Winkle bourbon made by Sazerac Company Inc.

Eighteen barrels of bourbon were seized in total, in addition to 25 bottles of Pappy Van Winkle.

To have one incident involving stolen bourbon “was amazing and it was a fluke,” said Pat Melton, Franklin County’s sheriff. “To have a second case blow everything wide open is significant. It’s captured the hearts and minds of people all over the country, especially bourbon enthusiasts.”

Mr. Melton said he expects distilleries across the state to review their security measures to prevent theft in the future.

“You don’t lose this much bourbon and not make changes,” he said.

Write to Tripp Mickle at Tripp.Mickle@wsj.com

I was dusty hunting in the back of my closet a couple of weeks ago and came across this one...I remembered you loved it!

307ede4a66b6865396caa9219e628256.jpg

One of my absolute favorites. So devastated I did not know of its discontinuation in time to load up, as well.

I don't even love it as much anymore now that I've tried other things, but at $50, it was really good and an unbeatable value for an 18 year old single barrel.

Devastated mostly for the reasons stated here. I could get it for $40 in PA. It was an unreal deal.

I picked up a bottle of Col. E.H. Taylor Small Batch last week to mark the end of tax season. It might be my new favorite. I need to go back and pick up a couple of bottles of they still have it.

I picked up a bottle of Col. E.H. Taylor Small Batch last week to mark the end of tax season. It might be my new favorite. I need to go back and pick up a couple of bottles of they still have it.

I got a bottle of this as a gift a few months ago - good stuff. As an aside, are you busy leading up to April 15? 99% of our clients extend, so we have very little stress in April. October on the other hand . . .

I got a bottle of this as a gift a few months ago - good stuff. As an aside, are you busy leading up to April 15? 99% of our clients extend, so we have very little stress in April. October on the other hand . . .

For some reason the partners at my firm hate extending returns of any kind.

I've already amended 3 returns due to corrected 1099s or late K-1s.

For some reason the partners at my firm hate extending returns of any kind.

I've already amended 3 returns due to corrected 1099s or late K-1s.

Last post on the bourbon thread about taxes, I promise, but damn. I don't know how anyone with any kind of alternative investments files on time. Those K-1s usually don't come out until the extended deadline for partnership returns in September. We tend to file gift tax returns on time (but don't stress if it doesn't happen) just to start the statute running, but nothing pretty much nothing else.

Back to the topic at hand. A few months back I was looking for something to replace Beam white label as my go to cheap bourbon mixer. I stumbled across Mattingly and Moore for $16 a handle, and haven't looked back. Its distributed by Heaven Hill. I wouldn't want to ever drink the stuff straight, but it goes well with Coke or Cheerwine, and is much easier on the pocket.

20976.jpg

"And then I think by law it will have to be destroyed."

I don't understand this at all. Why can't it be given back to Buffalo Trace?

Back to the topic at hand. A few months back I was looking for something to replace Beam white label as my go to cheap bourbon mixer. I stumbled across Mattingly and Moore for $16 a handle, and haven't looked back. Its distributed by Heaven Hill. I wouldn't want to ever drink the stuff straight, but it goes well with Coke or Cheerwine, and is much easier on the pocket.

20976.jpg

I will have to give it a try. I have always looked for something other than Beam to mix with coke. Makers works fine but I feel like I am paying double what it is worth and I really don't care much for Beam. I used Larceny last fall and it was ok.

I will have to give it a try. I have always looked for something other than Beam to mix with coke. Makers works fine but I feel like I am paying double what it is worth and I really don't care much for Beam. I used Larceny last fall and it was ok.

Evan Williams BIB. $26 for a handle instead of $16, but you get the added benefits of higher proof (100 vs 80) and good enough to drink straight.

Last edited:
dryflynew.jpg

Anyone had this? They also have a cask strength available. Thinking about ordering a bottle to try.

I don't understand this at all. Why can't it be given back to Buffalo Trace?

My amateur line of thinking was that if a product meant for consumption falls into the wrong hands at any point, it would be considered compromised (regardless of whether or not its contents had been tampered with).

Also... the sheriff choking up in his bourbon-heist presser was so deliciously KY.

dryflynew.jpg

Anyone had this? They also have a cask strength available. Thinking about ordering a bottle to try.

I tried it two or three years ago. My family lives in the region where it is distilled and they drink it semi-regularly. At least when they are not drinking Black Velvet. I thought it had a lot of heat for a lower proof whiskey, but that is all I can remember. It didn't make me want to jump and buy a bottle.

Back