• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Picked up a couple of large age stated EC12 and a couple OWAs today. I was pleasantly surprised to find the OWAs at the ABC store in Castle Hayne.

Going bourbon shopping this weekend. Doubt I will find OWA but plan to pick up a couple bottles of EC12.

I tried it two or three years ago. My family lives in the region where it is distilled and they drink it semi-regularly. At least when they are not drinking Black Velvet. I thought it had a lot of heat for a lower proof whiskey, but that is all I can remember. It didn't make me want to jump and buy a bottle.

Thanks for the info! Have you tasted Bernheim, any comparison? I like wheated bourbons and wheat whiskey so always looking to try something different.

Thanks for the info! Have you tasted Bernheim, any comparison? I like wheated bourbons and wheat whiskey so always looking to try something different.

Wheat whiskey is such a different animal than wheated bourbon. Wheated bourbon has a sweetness that I enjoy very much, but that sweetness does not come from the wheat. It is because the wheat does not overpower the sweetness of the corn like the rye does. Wheat whiskies, to me, tend to fall a little flat because I keep looking for that sweetness in my mind and it just isn't there.

Wheat whiskey is such a different animal than wheated bourbon. Wheated bourbon has a sweetness that I enjoy very much, but that sweetness does not come from the wheat. It is because the wheat does not overpower the sweetness of the corn like the rye does. Wheat whiskies, to me, tend to fall a little flat because I keep looking for that sweetness in my mind and it just isn't there.

I should clarify. I like Bernheim, haven't really tried or found any other wheat whiskey. I did try one at Stock & Barrel in Knoxville when I went to TN in December. I think it was Brekelen Wheat or something like that. I like the light flavor wheat offers.

I should clarify. I like Bernheim, haven't really tried or found any other wheat whiskey. I did try one at Stock & Barrel in Knoxville when I went to TN in December. I think it was Brekelen Wheat or something like that. I like the light flavor wheat offers.

Oh absolutely...I'm glad you like it and definitely try others. I just meant that post to be about my experience. I have plenty of friends that love a wheat whiskey like Bernheim as a change of pace.

Having said that, I did really like the bottle of Rittenhouse Rye. I was a little hesitant on a rye, but didn't find it as spicy as I would have thought. Still have a bottle of Sazerac I haven't opened.

Having said that, I did really like the bottle of Rittenhouse Rye. I was a little hesitant on a rye, but didn't find it as spicy as I would have thought. Still have a bottle of Sazerac I haven't opened.

Ritt BIB is an entry level rye with the minimum amount of rye necessary to be a rye whiskey (51%). This gives it more of a bourbon quality to me (and is very drinkable - open bottles don't last long!). When you get to the 75% rye and greater is when you really start to get that big rye spice. Now that you know you like it start working your way up the ladder!

I believe that Baby Saz is also around 51% (maybe slightly higher) so it's in that entry level rye space as well.

Found OWA at the Country Club Rd ABC store! Picked up four bottles, left three on the shelf. Went to the Lewisville store first and picked up a couple EC12 and asked, as always, if they had any OWA. Clerk said they got it in and then it went straight back out to the Country Club store. Not sure why. Clerk said Peters Creek had it as well for the Triad area folks looking for it.

Buffalo Trace has been doing a nice job of keeping product in NC of late. Saw a case of OWA on the shelf at the ABC at Millbrook & Glenwood today. Seen it several other places in last few weeks. Also seeing Blanton's again, and they even had some EHT small batch and Elmer T Lee recently in Wake County.

No OWA on Northwest Blvd. Did get a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 year since you guys were talking about it last week

If you haven't had it before open it up and post some tasting notes! Many people think it is a great mid-tier aged bourbon. I've never personally been a big fan of it in the past but I picked up a couple of bottles to give it another try.

I've had it before and I liked it. Its no OWA, but with you guys saying the 12 year might go away...it never hurts to have a bottle on hand.

Had a glass of Hirsch last night at a biz dinner. Don't recall the age. Thoughts on this brand?

Picked up a couple of large age stated EC12 and a couple OWAs today. I was pleasantly surprised to find the OWAs at the ABC store in Castle Hayne.

Where's the ABC store in Castle Hayne? I'm going to be down there this weekend for a fire seminar at Cape Fear CC.

I noticed last night that the bottle of OWA I picked up in Knoxville in December has a slightly different label than what I picked up yesterday. The main difference is at the bottom, what I picked up yesterday says it was distilled and bottled by Buffalo Trace. The bottle from December says distilled and bottled by W.L. Weller & Sons. I don't think there is any real significance to that, but I think I will let the W.L. Weller & Sons sit for a while.

Where's the ABC store in Castle Hayne? I'm going to be down there this weekend for a fire seminar at Cape Fear CC.

A few miles south of Paul's Place on 117. Stopped and had a dog at Paul's...brings back some good childhood memories from growing up and going to Wrightsville.

0f4c318fa167ed82be125cbeccbade48.jpg

Last edited:
Back