• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

The madness has arrived. The store I usually go to has an annual allocated stock lottery around this time of year. This year due to way increased demand, they have split the lottery into two days with 300 people signed up for each day.

I'd be just as happy with a good store pick, so I'm not gonna do that this year.

Bringing this rum post back up, as I've been trying different aged rums lately, and had one that is as close to a whisky as I've ever had in a rum. Foursquare Port Cask Finish. The oak really comes through, and it is not as sweet as most other rums. I guess their distiller (Richard Steale) is known as being a rum purist and eschews added sugars and other outside ingredients. At only $40, I definitely recommend giving this one a shot. Another that I really like is Plantation 20th Anniversary XO, although it is more sweet.

http://thefatrumpirate.com/foursquare-rum-distillery-port-cask-finish

https://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2016/07/the-lowdown-on-rum-with-richard-seale-master-distiller-foursquare-rum/

I picked up a bottle of Mount Gay XO last year and I am really enjoying it.

Anyone ever had Midsummer Night's Dram? Had a couple of pours last week. Blended, seasonal Shakespeare-themed rye whiskey: I really enjoyed it. Didn't realize it was like $200 a bottle.

large_MWNDhr2017trimmed.png

My local liquor/wine store was finally able to get a bottle in for me - picked it up this evening. Cost me $95. I like High West rye, and I've wanted to try this one for a while, so I was determined to track down a bottle.

polished off bottles of Pappy 15, Weller 12 and Michter toasted barrel rye on a buddy's dock last night. First time I've had the Michter's, great stuff.

Lucked up and got a bottle of WLW this weekend. I've been sitting on a bottle of Weller 12 and have had Weller SR and OWA already. Looks like I'll be doing a Weller tasting at Christmas, if not sooner!

My advent calendar was delivered yesterday. My favorite part of the xmas season.

I got my Advent calendar last week. (Japanese Whiskies) I'm not waiting on Advent to start tasting it.
I'm keeping a spread sheet of all the Whisky/Whiskey that I have sampled. Including everything in my Advent calendar I am now up to 555 different whiskies total. :dancindeac: (Most of my 555 whiskies are Scotish single malts.)

For some reason, my hometown has been flooded with George Stagg of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection but I have passed on it twice in hopes of finding the Weller. No dice so far, but still hoping to find one before its over.

For some reason, my hometown has been flooded with George Stagg of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection but I have passed on it twice in hopes of finding the Weller. No dice so far, but still hoping to find one before its over.

uhhhh you should buy some!

Ah, the first day of Jesus whiskey, one of my favorite days of the year. This year I’m doing the “That Boutique-y Whiskey Company” calendar. Up first:

833c19f6bf36b692e975a9a95e10da78.jpg

This is really nice. Leathery and oaky, but not an oak bomb like some older whiskey can get. Tropical fruit, a little sweet and a little peppery like a red hot. Really smooth. And decent enough heat to let you know she’s there. A great way to start.

Tonight’s baby Jesus whiskey:

788f3d5a2817743dc5fa6ce1512f72bb.jpg

This one is way different than last night. Very light in color, almost clear. Quite smokey, but more like bacon than peat.l for me. There are almost hints of bbq sauce, and maybe apple cider vinegar. Got a little burn to it and a little spice. Interesting and still good, but I’m not rushing out to but a bottle.

Back