• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I didn’t listen to the radio show but I’m pretty sure Clawson didn’t say that because he’s not allowed to say that.

I don't know. I know I don't like hearing that we've been outworked for a recruit in some way. And here it didn't even seem like he needed that much. Vandy coach just kept tweeting him occasionally it seems. If we wanted him, and want to retain all our commits, I think we have to keep recruiting them individually all the way through signing day. We should have a protocol for contact, and maybe a centralized message creator to give individual recruiters content and ideas.

LOH MY GOSH!! ARE OYU TELLING ME THAT WE DON'T HAVE PROCESSES IN PLACE TO STAY IN TOUCH WITH COMMITS?!?!? AND THAT OUR STAFF DOESN'T WORK HARD?!??

The kid wanted to go to Vandy...he just needed to come up with some BS to explain his decommitment.

That’s still much more specific than I would expect.

That's really weird phrasing "we'll recruit you better". I doubt that's what was actually said.

Seems like he really wanted to go to Vandy, we didn’t want him, or likely both.

Loh, what prompted Clawson’s comments on recruiting?

Interesting article on recent decommit Jaylen Mahoney https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article217872805.html

1. Why should coaches have to recruit you better after you committed? Isn't that the point of you committing, allowing them to focus on other positions.
2. Seems like he just got up into it.

Clearly speculating here but I see a father's fingerprints all over this decision making process. Very likely, Jaylen went with his gut committing to WF but his Dad, engineer, took his time and steered him to Vandy with an engineering school her prefers over WF's joint venture engineering program with VT. It will probably turn out fine but if my hunch is correct the young man may live with some regret further out in time. Ya never know about these things, never.

Funny that the writer refers to the WF fan base as (in my view) insufficiently rabid to say awful things about the young man without crediting the WF fan base with having some decency and decorum toward future student athletes.

All in all, the writer didn't impress me with his critique of WF. To suggest our folks were lackadaisical in the post commit relationship with the young man is incredible. I don't believe it. WF which is in one of the top 3 toughest divisions in P5 football has to hang onto ALL commits. I suspect a lot of spin in this story and by the father to fit the outcome of the father's decision to steer his son away from WF.

Clearly speculating here but I see a father's fingerprints all over this decision making process. Very likely, Jaylen went with his gut committing to WF but his Dad, engineer, took his time and steered him to Vandy with an engineering school her prefers over WF's joint venture engineering program with VT. It will probably turn out fine but if my hunch is correct the young man may live with some regret further out in time. Ya never know about these things, never.

Funny that the writer refers to the WF fan base as (in my view) insufficiently rabid to say awful things about the young man without crediting the WF fan base with having some decency and decorum toward future student athletes.

All in all, the writer didn't impress me with his critique of WF. To suggest our folks were lackadaisical in the post commit relationship with the young man is incredible. I don't believe it. WF which is in one of the top 3 toughest divisions in P5 football has to hang onto ALL commits. I suspect a lot of spin in this story and by the father to fit the outcome of the father's decision to steer his son away from WF.

Wake has its own engineering program now. Albeit definitely not as established as Vandy but it's no longer just the joint venture with VT.

Kid decided he did not want to be here. Fine hope he is happy at Vandy. I have complete faith in DC and his staff. Better he leaves now than after enrolling. We will find a replacement who WANTS to be a Deac

Interesting article on recent decommit Jaylen Mahoney https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article217872805.html

1. Why should coaches have to recruit you better after you committed? Isn't that the point of you committing, allowing them to focus on other positions.
2. Seems like he just got up into it.

From the article: Mahoney is a laid back guy, not the stereotypical loud and boisterous defensive back, but his mood was a little different recently.

Seeing how most DB's are balck, what is he implying here? Sounds like the author is a rasciost!

So on to the next recruit.

Just a little disturbing that this is the third decommit in a short period of time after the 2019 recruiting class was supposedly complete. Staff has to do more work for 2019 when they could be doing mostly 2020 kids.

Just a little disturbing that this is the third decommit in a short period of time after the 2019 recruiting class was supposedly complete. Staff has to do more work for 2019 when they could be doing mostly 2020 kids.

If we replace them with a better player then I’m fine with it.

Watching today's game, Mahoney would've been nice to keep, but now we need to add at least once good DB because I don't see the answer to our problems on the field.

Anyone know where we stand with Shamar McCollum? Top 3?

IIRC, Les said a few days ago, both sides had mutually agreed to move on.

Watching today's game, Mahoney would've been nice to keep, but now we need to add at least once good DB because I don't see the answer to our problems on the field.

Seems like we have been playing frosh and sophomores at CB for 5 plus years now. I guess we have had a fair amount of attrition at that position. At least Bassey has become an experienced veteran. Henderson could be a compliment, but it seems he has missed more games than played this season and last.

Back