• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

I feel that holding the door for fellow man is instinctive, rather than a learned behavior, regardless of what part of the country you live in.

That seems doubtful. That wouldn't explain the common perception that holding the door open for people is a southern thing or at least more prevalent in the South.

Either the trait is learned or the perception is learned, both of which support my point.

That seems doubtful. That wouldn't explain the common perception that holding the door open for people is a southern thing or at least more prevalent in the South.

Either the trait is learned or the perception is learned, both of which support my point.

You don’t really seem to have a point to support. You also seem to be arguing with a brick wall. I’ll join GTB and check my way outta this thread.

You don’t really seem to have a point to support. You also seem to be arguing with a brick wall. I’ll join GTB and check my way outta this thread.

and if you are still unclear on this particular point a thirty second google search reveals a new book that backs me up! https://books.google.com/books?id=AtckDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA289&lpg=PA289&dq=southern+hospitality+and+lost+cause+mythology&source=bl&ots=7aSp2fEe0z&sig=A_-EgCnbZ9y8R_0LmRnHtUjK-zM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihzJnKuJvXAhXEwiYKHQjLD_gQ6AEIMjAB#v=onepage&q=southern%20hospitality%20and%20lost%20cause%20mythology&f=false

I was just spitballing a theory based on general knowledge, turns out I was arguing a scholarly theory. This guy's going to be crushed when he finds out it's bullshit though.

Last edited:
my mom's name is Robert E Lee

Well that only further strengthens my point, doesn't it?

If your grandparents were so eager to honor a Confederate general that they bucked gender norms when naming their daughter then of course the rules on hospitality learned in your household were tied up with southern exceptionalism.

Another case of people not bothering to read my admittedly lengthy posts. I'll try and summarize here. I don't think any of these statements are controversial but let me know if I'm wrong.

1. Holding the door for people is a nice thing to do. People should do it more often.

2. Some women feel uncomfortable or even unsafe when men hold the door for them. This is especially true if the man is a stranger, they are alone, it's at night, it's where they live, etc.

3. When members of a group with less social or political power tell members of a more politically and socially powerful group that certain things make them feel uncomfortable or unsafe, or that certain injustices are happening to them, the latter group should listen and take them at their word.

4. The source of the cultural difference in holding the door for women is, at least in parts of the South, tied directly to notions of patriarchal chivalry that grew out of, or was perpetuated by, the romanticism of the civil war and the antebellum south.
It took 393 posts to conclude holding the door open for people is a social injustice. Your so cool and hip RC.

My sister-in-law is from Ohio and men did it there when she was growing up. I guess General Sherman picked up the habit from the southerners he interacted with and brought it back home.

It took 393 posts to conclude holding the door open for people is a social injustice. Your so cool and hip RC.

That seems like a pretty stupid conclusion. Do you have anything to back it up? I admit that I haven't read the whole thread so I must have missed both the discussion and the conclusion that holding the door open for people is a social injustice.

My sister-in-law is from Ohio and men did it there when she was growing up. I guess General Sherman picked up the habit from the southerners he interacted with and brought it back home.

People can learn behavior from completely independent sources. Crazy concept I know.

Personally, I'm in the camp that "Southern hospitality" is a myth, but it is clearly a pervasive myth. So even if the behavior is innate rather than learned (again I doubt it), belief in the myth is certainly learned.

More importantly Sherman was too busy winning a war to take cotillion lessons from traitors and he was smart enough not to go back to fucking Ohio once the war was over.

People can learn behavior from completely independent sources. Crazy concept I know.

Personally, I'm in the camp that "Southern hospitality" is a myth, but it is clearly a pervasive myth. So even if the behavior is innate rather than learned (again I doubt it), belief in the myth is certainly learned.

"Southern Hospitality" doesn't have to be a real thing in order for door holding to be more common in Alabama than it is in New Jersey.

More importantly Sherman was too busy winning a war to take cotillion lessons from traitors and he was smart enough not to go back to fucking Ohio once the war was over.

You pulled a Sherman with all the hot takes you've dropped on this thread.

Of course not. But that would suggest the behavior IS learned, contrary to Creamy's assertion.

Yeah, that's correct. Sorry creamy, you're wrong. But, boy has this thread take a turn for the dumb. Boys will be boys, I guess.

Man, this went from a really good, albeit testy, thread to a complete dumpster fire. RC looking very [Redacted]-like.

Back