• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2018

Aiello and Mueller may not get drafted high enough to leave.

Aiello's swing is very long and loopy and teams have figured that out. Will have to fundamentally change his swing to make it at the next level.

Aiello's swing is very long and loopy and teams have figured that out. Will have to fundamentally change his swing to make it at the next level.

Think his production has gone down all of a sudden because his swing is long? No other factors involved?

Sucks because objectively we are an NCAA caliber team, and this weekend validates that almost playing Clemson even. The suspensions, lack of pitching depth and some bad luck have bit us. Not quite ready to throw away this year though. Peluse is the best Sunday starter in the ACC.

Looks like Maronpot will redshirt and come back next year. Might be a net positive for the program. Not an option for Steel or Farish who have already redshirted.

Next years lineup could be pretty damn good. Will need a couple pitchers to step up assuming we lose Griff and Supple.

sounds familiar to basketball for the baseball team---JUST WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR ! lol heard this for ten years enough already

Looked rather bad in those Clemson runs 3 & 4. Did block plate to get 3rd out.

I don't put baseball in the same category as other sports. We had a phenomenal year last year and are dealing with losing a record number of drafted players. I'm salty about the suspensions but the baseball program seems to be on a good path.

OK, understand your update then. -And thanks for all your contributions across the board.

OK, understand your update then. -And thanks for all your contributions across the board.

Appreciate it. I like Muntz, and LOVE Muntz' bat but he still has a ways to go behind the plate if that's where he ends up defensively. I also think Wake has a recruit coming in next season they envision as their next catcher.

Which team would actually draft Aiello in the top 10 rounds? He has struck out probably 30-40% of his at bats.

Appreciate it. I like Muntz, and LOVE Muntz' bat but he still has a ways to go behind the plate if that's where he ends up defensively. I also think Wake has a recruit coming in next season they envision as their next catcher.

Bats are always good no matter position but I take a defensive catcher every time. A good catcher manages the team on the field and buys a lot of strikes for pitchers. Convinced that has a bigger impact on games than a few batting average percentage points at the plate.

Catchers imo should almost be thought of like pitchers when it comes to offense. The impact on the game from the defensive perspective is much more impactful than offensive production. Yeah you will find catchers who can do both and they are starting in the MLB rightly so. But by and large give me a catcher who gets outs on defense any day.

Looks like Maronpot will redshirt and come back next year. Might be a net positive for the program. Not an option for Steel or Farish who have already redshirted.

Next years lineup could be pretty damn good. Will need a couple pitchers to step up assuming we lose Griff and Supple.

Steele will be back though presumably. He's a RS Junior.

Think his production has gone down all of a sudden because his swing is long? No other factors involved?

With video and scouting yes I do think that is why his production is down. Teams can pitch according to the scouting reports and players then need to adjust. Hard to do in the middle of the season when it involves fundamentally changing your swing. Until the end of the season he will hit mistakes. I think this is why you don't see as many scouts at our games - they already know this and have it factored into his draft position. He may get drafted early but it will be because of his projected ability and not based on his production for this year.

Catchers imo should almost be thought of like pitchers when it comes to offense. The impact on the game from the defensive perspective is much more impactful than offensive production. Yeah you will find catchers who can do both and they are starting in the MLB rightly so. But by and large give me a catcher who gets outs on defense any day.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Like to think that I resembled that remark during my playing days as a catcher.

Back