• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Had two sets of parents in town a week ago and wasn't sure what to cook - called a local butcher and they had tri tip ready to go. So good, so easy. Now everyone wants to buy a smoker.

Doing my first overnight Friday of pork and brisket for Saturday's tailgate and it's going to dip into the low 20s.....why am I doing this?

Going to try and seal up as much as possible and hope I don't have temperature issues - my #1 concern every time

Doing my first overnight Friday of pork and brisket for Saturday's tailgate and it's going to dip into the low 20s.....why am I doing this?

Going to try and seal up as much as possible and hope I don't have temperature issues - my #1 concern every time

Here is a tip for you. Don't live in a place where it gets down into the low 20s in early November.

i like to smoke ribs (usu. St. Louis cut pork spareribs) because they don't take as long as bigger cuts and are delicious when done right. However my last couple attempts on my new smoker have not come out well. The one I'm using is basically 2 hours at 300, then foil for one hour, rest 15, put back on to glaze for 30. the ribs have been coming out somewhat burned and generally overdone, so much so that I didn't bother with the last step on my last attempt because they clearly didn't want more heat.

Next time I'm thinking I'll do 2 hours at 275 before the foil and see what happens. Thoughts? Anybody here have a foolproof recipe?

What type smoker are you using?

An offset similar to this. The firebox doesn't have the greatest seal around the middle so I'm going to attack it with titanium exhaust wrap and high temp sealant

Here is a tip for you. Don't live in a place where it gets down into the low 20s in early November.

It's going to break a record low, which is a whole two degrees lower from the record low in Winston-Salem (which will also threaten a record low). Coldfront going to cause near-record lows all along the region

Last edited:
i like to smoke ribs (usu. St. Louis cut pork spareribs) because they don't take as long as bigger cuts and are delicious when done right. However my last couple attempts on my new smoker have not come out well. The one I'm using is basically 2 hours at 300, then foil for one hour, rest 15, put back on to glaze for 30. the ribs have been coming out somewhat burned and generally overdone, so much so that I didn't bother with the last step on my last attempt because they clearly didn't want more heat.

Next time I'm thinking I'll do 2 hours at 275 before the foil and see what happens. Thoughts? Anybody here have a foolproof recipe?

I once tried the 3/2/1 method and completely overcooked the ribs. I cook everything between 250 and 275, and just adjust the time based upon what I'm smoking. For ribs, I'll do them for an hour and a half, then foil them with apple juice and butter for another hour. I never cook them over 3 hours total.

An offset similar to this. The firebox doesn't have the greatest seal around the middle so I'm going to attack it with titanium exhaust wrap and high temp sealant

Another option would be high heat fiberglass insulation. That's what I used when I insulated my firebox, and its worked very well. Some people just drape it over the firebox for added insulation. As long as the wind isnt blowing very hard, you should be able to compensate with additional fuel.

Prime rib off the smoker was aight
8f8acbff5a074a8c7d046191cf1e6373.jpg

5bb9ec34ada77a893505f02397c53d4a.jpg

Funny, we did a Prime Rib roast on a green egg, with twice baked potatoes and spinach as well a few days ago. It was ridiculous.

Funny, we did a Prime Rib roast on a green egg, with twice baked potatoes and spinach as well a few days ago. It was ridiculous.

Nice! Very happy with how it turned out - was my first time doing a PR.

So....the time has come to sell my reverse flow stick burner. I'm working on repairing some thin places on it now, then will put it up for sale along with the tailgate trailer. Have no fear though, I'll be coming back with something better, but it means I'll have to smoke with my Weber Summit for a while until I can get the other built.

I'm baffled that something like that doesn't exist yet. I wonder how well it works, considering almost every grill/smoker is essentially a Faraday cage. I'll buy in on the second or third iteration of this thing for sure.

That's either

1) A legit cool kickstarter thing
2) They haven't worked out how not to torch the device

I mean, the reason that doesn't exist isn't because nobody's ever thought of it. It's because designing an affordable transmitter that your blazing hot grill won't fry to a crisp after a few dozen uses is difficult. Especially when you combine it with enclosing it in a steel box.

I'm always wary of kickstarter things that are obvious ideas with extremely difficult technical hurdles.

Ha, it took them 3 years, but I finally received an email that the Meaters have shipped. They allowed me to trade my original offer of the block and two probes into two of the Meater +, which is a newer version with extended WIFI range. I'm looking forward to finally giving these things a test drive this weekend.

Ha, it took them 3 years, but I finally received an email that the Meaters have shipped. They allowed me to trade my original offer of the block and two probes into two of the Meater +, which is a newer version with extended WIFI range. I'm looking forward to finally giving these things a test drive this weekend.

Looking forward to your report

Is it pretty easy to smoke on a Kettle? Would like to foray into it but don’t want to have to buy a smoke without having tried it a few times.

Is it pretty easy to smoke on a Kettle? Would like to foray into it but don’t want to have to buy a smoke without having tried it a few times.

Yeah; you're really just setting up lit charcoal on one side of the grill and putting your meat on the opposite side.

How did they work out?

I ended up not smoking or grilling anything with them last weekend, but I did link them to the app. The block and the probe links separately, which I suppose is a function of the extended range. We're doing steaks tonight, so I'm hoping to give them a shot.

Having family over (approx. 20) for my MILs 50th next Saturday, what should I throw on my BGE?

Back