• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

51a8f99bb4a8ed317a20abb7fb642e15.jpg

Did ok for first try.

I'm making a pork shoulder today.... I have an eastern NC vinegar sauce. Do any of you guys suggesting mopping it ay all as I cook or just adding at the end once it's pulled?

I've seen conflicting opinions

I am trying out this new cajun bandit door on my wsm, seems to have way way way less leakage

I'm making a pork shoulder today.... I have an eastern NC vinegar sauce. Do any of you guys suggesting mopping it ay all as I cook or just adding at the end once it's pulled?

I've seen conflicting opinions
Dry rub before and during, mop afterwards and during the resting. The sugars in the dip will caramelize much too early if you start out mopping.

my old cheapo char-broil is literally dropping rusted off pieces into my yard. and i got a bonus. so i'm about to replace it with a separate gas grill and smoker/charcoal grill. I'm pretty committed to buying a Weber Genesis gas grill. I'm having trouble deciding on a charcoal grill/smoker. Primo is American made and the oval design offers 2 zone cooking. Big Green Egg is the gold standard smoker but expensive as hell. Weber Smokey Mountain has some advantages, but it's a dedicate smoker, not a dual purpose charcoal grill/smoker. Kamado Joe seems to be a solid competitor on the price/features scale but may not be as versatile as the Primo. thoughts?

I've got different friends who swear by each of the three ceramic smokers. My advice, find the best deal and take it. Also get a remote air flow controller and you'll be set.

Looking into it more, it seems to me that if I get a BGE or Kamado Joe, they may not do such a great job at grilling steaks and chicken and so forth because they can't really do two-zone heat (which is something I use all the time on my gas grill). Realistically, therefore, I'd only use them for smoking and I'll definitely have to buy a gas grill to go along with it. That's kind of always been my plan, but looking into the Primos is making me rethink it. The oval shape supposedly enables good two zone cooking and I might be able to go all-charcoal and do without the gas grill altogether, or get a much smaller/less expensive gas grill than the Genesis to use occasionally.

I've been smokin a lot lately. I'm a Weber Kettle purist, though. Here's a few photos. I have a bunch more, but I still haven't transferred my photos from my old phone.

Bacon-wrapped and injected pork loins
9OVqSnc.jpg

Brined and rubbed spatchcock chicken
cAEZhGX.jpg

Some AK salmon my buddy caught and brought down honey soy siracha glaze
YPlyMnS.jpg

Brined and rubbed turkey
8tzq7dB.jpg

Ribs
51VMd0H.jpg

Oysters - these damn things take on SO much smoke. Very complementary.
87vYllT.jpg

Half deer loin - reverse sear
F4lcgO6.jpg

Last edited:
Planning on doing a brisket this weekend while I brew two batches of beer. Y'all have me reconsidering tri tip. Never done one. Any pointers?

Planning on doing a brisket this weekend while I brew two batches of beer. Y'all have me reconsidering tri tip. Never done one. Any pointers?

Easiest shit in the world to smoke...serve with chimichurri

People will love you

Search for it a few pages back in the thread. I detailed the reverse sear technique, which is easy and produces amazing results. Your toughest part of the whole process will most likely be finding the tri-tip at the store.

Back