• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

My dad has one and absolutely loves it. Rarely uses his bigass Lyfe Tyme smoker anymore.

Ole Hickory...thank me later

Don't have 5 grand

$_57.JPG

Have a buddy that loves his traeger

I knew someone that sold them and loved having one. They stopped selling them when production was moved to China. I have a friend purchased a Louisana Grills smoker and loves it. Ironically they are made in Canada.

Nah but it looks dope. Not much cooking surface for the $.

Did you end up getting one? They have started shipping them.
Yeah, I got in on one of the two probe orders. I've not received it yet though. The last I heard, they were closer and hoping to get them shipped out by the early summer.

Just got another update from meater. Looks like a July delivery date.

Tsy, what do you cook on? Any experience with Jambo pits? My dad is actually the one looking. He thought the Braten 1000 looked good - wants something that he can use to grill or smoke. I think Jamie Geer (Jambo) just makes smokers.

Tsy, what do you cook on? Any experience with Jambo pits? My dad is actually the one looking. He thought the Braten 1000 looked good - wants something that he can use to grill or smoke. I think Jamie Geer (Jambo) just makes smokers.
I've got a home made, reverse flow stick burner based upon the same model as a Jambo. I had access to an old kerosene tank and am pretty handy with a welder, so I decided to make my own. I've heard great things about Jambos, but the only model I know anything about is his reverse flow stickburner, which is not good for grilling.

How much would your dad be smoking on a regular basis? If its only going to be for a handful of people, with the occasional larger party, I'd suggest looking into a ceramic smoker. I love my stick burner, but unless I'm cooking for 20+ people, its just not economical Whenever I'm doing just one shoulder or a few racks of ribs, I end up using my Weber Summit with the smoker box attachment.

I've got a home made, reverse flow stick burner based upon the same model as a Jambo. I had access to an old kerosene tank and am pretty handy with a welder, so I decided to make my own. I've heard great things about Jambos, but the only model I know anything about is his reverse flow stickburner, which is not good for grilling.

How much would your dad be smoking on a regular basis? If its only going to be for a handful of people, with the occasional larger party, I'd suggest looking into a ceramic smoker. I love my stick burner, but unless I'm cooking for 20+ people, its just not economical Whenever I'm doing just one shoulder or a few racks of ribs, I end up using my Weber Summit with the smoker box attachment.

I think he mostly wants something for grilling with the option to use as a smoker. He already has a BGE and a gas grill, so he is looking for something different that will be fun to cook on.

Brewing beer and smoking a pork butt today.

Got a ~6.5 lb butt on the smoker just before 9, been holding steady around 260, hoping for a solid 8-9 hr smoke.

Meat temp getting to 150, so anticipating a stall soon.

I'm watching the first episode of Cooked on Netflix and I feel like there are some glaring errors.

Taking advantage of being back in Jacksonville and firing up the smoker. Putting on a pork shoulder and some ribs today.

Anyone use a cinder block pig cooker? Saw one last weekend at a pig picking and was impressed with the simplicity, functionality and low cost. Made from nothing more than stacked cinder blocks and rebar.

That is what I started out cooking on. We have one built down in a shed by the river, covered with tin. Works great, but highly inefficient.

Back