• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Smoking short ribs and chicken tomorrow. Any suggestions on time for either and/or good rub recipes?

Don't know much about short ribs but I love smoking chicken. Parts or whole?

I use pot herbs (rosemary, oregano, sage) and salt and pepper on whole chicken and a spicy mix for wings or thighs (paprika, chili powder, cumin, coriander, pepper).

Don't know much about short ribs but I love smoking chicken. Parts or whole?

I use pot herbs (rosemary, oregano, sage) and salt and pepper on whole chicken and a spicy mix for wings or thighs (paprika, chili powder, cumin, coriander, pepper).

Parts - mostly just chicken breasts. I have never done either, though the chicken seems more straight forward than the ribs. I was thinking 5-5.5 for ribs, 2-2.5 for chicken if around 235-250F

If it's at 250, chicken will finish quickly so keep an eye on it.

I need to prepare a venison tenderloin tomorrow for the first time. Can anyone with experience recommend smoking vs grilling? I'll probably brine it overnight either way but undecided about best preparation.

Venison is very lean, so smoking over grilling for sure. I treat mine like beef and it comes out marvelous.

I need to prepare a venison tenderloin tomorrow for the first time. Can anyone with experience recommend smoking vs grilling? I'll probably brine it overnight either way but undecided about best preparation.

Def smoke or make sausage and add pork fat

I hope you haven't fucked this up. No need to brine a loin. No need to smoke a loin. Salt and pepper. High heat. Medium rare.

You don't make sausage out of deer loin. It's grilled or seared in a cast iron. Served medium rare. Always.

Whoops read over the tenderloin part. Backstrap and tenderloin are great baconwrapped. I do disagree that grilled is the only way- I've had some good smoked backstrap and tenderloin.

Don't waste is on sausage.

Last edited:
Good morning fellow meat masters. I come to you with some bad news that may become good.

During a very windy day a week or two ago, my barrel got tossed around and bent along the seam. It's a hand me down from the 80s, so it's done its job to get me hooked for a few years. I could probably bend it back in shape, but I think its time for a new guy. I know the weber smokey mountain is the best barrel option, but I'm also debating the full offset smoker with a bit more space. I don't know about the ones on the market and not yet ready to build my own. Looking for some feedback - what say ye?

I have the WSM and am a big fan. Unfortunately I haven't been able to use it recently. It's good for my needs but I'm not hosting big events with it.

I have the WSM 18". Big fan of it and it's never let me down. I've cooked pulled pork for 25+ on the 18" WSM multiple times without issue, so depending on what you like to cook, and how big the parties you cook for are, the knock on size may be overrated. You couldn't do ribs in a single batch for that many people, but that's not a deal-breaker for me.

Tomorrow I'm going to smoke my wings for about an hour and then grill later before game time with my standard bbq rub. I want the crispy skin and smoking wings up to finishing temp generally won't do that so I'll pull them off the smoker before the fat renders off.

a5e4bc25a951475e924e4aca39de16ad.jpg

Experimenting for tomorrow. Weber Honey Garlic rub on the left, Weber Applewood Rub on the right. Smoking with sweet maple.

One of my best buddy's late father had one. He smoked meat for years before his boss bought him a Traeger. He loved it and used it multiple times a week for long and short cooks. Once you get past the stigma of plugging a smoker into the wall, it really is an excellent machine. They're expensive, though.

Back