• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

f8d7098dd3277714ce5b02c281e63bee.jpg

I'm baffled that something like that doesn't exist yet. I wonder how well it works, considering almost every grill/smoker is essentially a Faraday cage. I'll buy in on the second or third iteration of this thing for sure.

That's either

1) A legit cool kickstarter thing
2) They haven't worked out how not to torch the device

I mean, the reason that doesn't exist isn't because nobody's ever thought of it. It's because designing an affordable transmitter that your blazing hot grill won't fry to a crisp after a few dozen uses is difficult. Especially when you combine it with enclosing it in a steel box.

I'm always wary of kickstarter things that are obvious ideas with extremely difficult technical hurdles.
So I purchased a few today via the kickstarter. They're slated to arrive in January.

They've updated their site with some additional information, and it enticed me to buy in.

The butcher didn't have any tri-tip today but did have some teres major steaks (beef shoulder tender)....did a quick google and decided what the hell, why not? Planning on smoking until medium rare with a simple spice rub, maybe a little worchestershire sauce, and see what happens

The butcher didn't have any tri-tip today but did have some teres major steaks (beef shoulder tender)....did a quick google and decided what the hell, why not? Planning on smoking until medium rare with a simple spice rub, maybe a little worchestershire sauce, and see what happens

I've grilled a lot of teres major (like a poor man's filet) but never tried to smoke it. Would love to hear how it turns out. Great underrated cut of meat - just tough to find larger cuts of it at times.

The smoker was probably unnecessary, it was done really fast (lower temps may have been better) but it was really delicious. Ended up a little bit more done than i would have liked, the last piece we cut was more medium rare than pictured. Applied a little worchestershire and did a simple rub of mostly salt, pepper, and garlic powder

11349393_194377710895503_2115379574_n.jpg

Yesterday's butt - probably the easiest one I've done. The kamado wanted to run a little hotter (270) than normal and there was minimal stall, so it hit 208 internal in less than 12 hours.

Looks good! Any pics of your smoke ring? I cook everything at 275. In my experience, its the ideal temperature, especially for my smoker.

Didn't take any other pictures. It was almost game time when I put in the cooler to rest and we just tore it apart during timeouts.

Score!

I just called my distributor and secured a case of tri-tip for this weekend's tailgate. Earlier today he said it would be Monday before they could get any, but he's ordered another truck that will be coming Friday. Best yet, my price is $3.09 per lb. That's the best news I've received in quite some time.

Who are you getting it from now? I want to get one for Christmas for sure.

I got my case from Shuler Meats in Thomasville. I'm going to cook some and freeze the rest. I should have some left over, if 1 is all you want, I'll sell it to you at my cost.

I did smoked tri tip for our Christmas party last year and it was incredibly well received.

Is the reverse sear pretty much universally accepted as the best method for tri-tip, or are y'all using another method?

I've only ever used the reverse sear and it was awesome so I never tried anything else.

I use that same recipe that tsy posted. I also usually place the tri tip in a vacuum sealer and add the marinade to that before sealing it and letting it sit over night.

I picked up a pre-brined corn beef brisket this weekend, going to throw it on the smoker this weekend and see how the pastrami turns out.

Back