• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Looking for some dry rubs that yall like. If it's make it yourself that'd be good. Or your favorite thing to put on a whole chicken.

Last edited:
Also not DIY, but I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub.

I've enjoyed the basic rubs found on the Virtual Weber Bullet site if you're looking to make something yourself.

Ribs and ABTs on the Weber smoker, cold beer in hand, Vintage NASCAR throwback coming on in a few hours. Happy Labor Day Murica!
39b4add6d7263799efe15121a7b3faba.jpg

Do yall boil sausages before you smoke em?

I do if I'm grilling but I prefer smoking them raw. It does make it harder to cook evenly.

Boiling in beer? Cooks em through, adds flavor, then a good sear to finish. My go to for grilling.

Preferably not pre-packaged stuff, generally because it's mostly all pre-cooked. You can get some decent packaged stuff, but I prefer going to the meat counter and getting bratwurst or something interesting if they have it like lamb sausage w/harissa or apple gouda pork sausage (both available last time I bought).

Definitely agree with going to a butcher and getting a blend they recommend. Since I use a stickburner, I have to stick with strong flavored sausages, otherwise the smoke flavor tends to overpower the natural flavors.

for anyone who mists their BUTTS with apple juice... last smoke I chopped up a habanero from the garden and simmered it in the juice first. Added a new sweet-spicy dynamic

Smoking about 10 lbs of chicken leg/thigh quarters tomorrow with Applewood. Any suggestions? I'm expecting about 2 hours at around 250 degrees.

That sounds about right. I cook mine for an hour and a half at 275. Are you going to take the skin off and rub the meat or just dust them?

That sounds about right. I cook mine for an hour and a half at 275. Are you going to take the skin off and rub the meat or just dust them?

I was planning on trimming the fat a little and dusting them with a rub with skins on and adding a light coating of BBQ sauce after hour 1. What do you think?

I want the Weber Summit S-470, but I can't hardly justify the price. Is there another serviceable and cheaper gas grill that I could also use as a smoker?

I was planning on trimming the fat a little and dusting them with a rub with skins on and adding a light coating of BBQ sauce after hour 1. What do you think?
Definitely life the skin and put some rub between it and the meat. Otherwise, all your flavor will be only on the skin.
I want the Weber Summit S-470, but I can't hardly justify the price. Is there another serviceable and cheaper gas grill that I could also use as a smoker?
I am not qualified to comment. I was looking for a cheap gas grill and got a Summit. I've not regretted it since. I got mine at casual furniture world, and any problems I've had, they put me in touch with a Weber warrant tech and it was fixed asap.

Looking for some dry rubs that yall like. If it's make it yourself that'd be good. Or your favorite thing to put on a whole chicken.

The single best preparation for a whole chicken involving an actual fire is a beer can chicken. Ten dollar contraption at the Depot set over indirect heat and three hours or so at 225 (directions highly searchable) and you're good to go. Rub the outside with whatever you've got in your pantry (I use S&P, garlic salt, paprika and some green herb to give it a little color) and---this is the most important part---"plug" the cavity at the neck of the chicken (the portion over the open beer can) with either half of an apple, lemon or onion, so as to create a modified "seal" over the cavity, so the cooking liquid and steam has to boil out through the meat.

The trick is making sure you've got a tall enough grill to be able to stand the chicken vertically. Obvs', your standard Webber kettle grill won't work.

Back