• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

f2b0c2217941647c28010a791e208cb2.jpg

0d1a19c59be1f7f346b443796e537781.jpg

Did two pigs with my buddy, from Ole
Hickory Pits, for Breckenridge's 25th Hootenany.

Put a small (~4.25lb) butt on the smoke this morning around 1130. Trying out my new Maverick thermometer for the first time. I had two cheap wireless thermometers I used to monitor grill temp and meat temp before, I like having one that can do both. Holding steady around 240 right now.

I just have a Weber kettle I use for right now and ended up running the wires under the lid, hopefully I don't destroy the wires on the first run.

I am hesitant to make the modifications I've seen online to run the wires out of the grill; either cutting a notch in the kettle or drilling a hole and adding a grommet. Anyone have any experience with any of the mods or just smashing the cables? With my cheap thermometers I just ran them under the lid and had no problem over the course of the last few years.

The lid on my smoker weighs close to 50 lbs and I've been running mine under the lid for 3 years now with no problems.

What worries you about drilling the hole in your lid?

Just not something I've done before and I've seen some people concerned with chipping the enamel or whatever coats the outside of the grill. I will likely continue just running the cables under the lid. If it fails quickly then I will try something once I get a replacement, if not then I'll keep on trucking like this.

Currently in the stall at 165, been there for close to an hour. Good thing its just me and my old lady that will be eating this tonight and plenty of beer to persevere through.

Had some John Lewis brisket today. Absolutely delish as advertised

Just not something I've done before and I've seen some people concerned with chipping the enamel or whatever coats the outside of the grill. I will likely continue just running the cables under the lid. If it fails quickly then I will try something once I get a replacement, if not then I'll keep on trucking like this.

Currently in the stall at 165, been there for close to an hour. Good thing its just me and my old lady that will be eating this tonight and plenty of beer to persevere through.

Check with Weber, you may be able to buy an enamel touchup kit. If so, that would alleviate one of your concerns. Drilling the hole through the metal itself isn't that difficult.

Bought some Asian cut spare ribs at the international farmer's market. They cut the spare ribs into about 2 inch strings, so the cut runs most of the entire length of the rib cage, but is only 2-3 inches wide. Seasoned them with Myron Mixon's rub and finished with Momofuku Ssam sauce instead of bbq. Pretty damn good. I like the ssam sauce much better in cooking, since its pretty rich/strong to just use as a condiment.

Check with Weber, you may be able to buy an enamel touchup kit. If so, that would alleviate one of your concerns. Drilling the hole through the metal itself isn't that difficult.

Also, I would imagine if you taped where you were going to drill, this would help eliminate the enamel chipping.

Decided to do brisket, ribs, and chicken today. Had my fiancée make the rub.

The brisket has been on for 2 hours and I'm going to put the ribs on and she says, "Don't you make a run with brown sugar?"

Yeah. This one.

Oh.

I didn't clean my shitty Brinkman after my last smoke (December?) and it was understandably pretty disgusting. I hit it with oven cleaner, scrubbed, sprayed some 409 and scrubbed some more until all the stickiness was gone. A good amount of paint peeled away in the cleaning process.

I plan on putting a good fire in it Friday night before doing my first smoke of the season on Saturday. Am I going to kill everyone?

Nah you good. I always leave the grease on mine until the next smoke, then use a propane flame thrower and a heavy duty brush to clean it off.

What is the best source for quality meat in Winston? I've had good luck at Costco of all places but am wondering if there is a better option.

What kind of meat are you looking for, and in what quantities? For small amounts, I get my meat exclusively from Costco. For tri-tip, I get it from Olde World Meat Market off Hwy 150. For larger quantities I get it from Shuler Meats off Business 85 in Thomasville, but you have to buy it by the case from Shuler.

Thanks, I will definitely check out Olde World Meat Market. Per their website they are moving to a new location next week.

What kind of meat are you looking for, and in what quantities? For small amounts, I get my meat exclusively from Costco. For tri-tip, I get it from Olde World Meat Market off Hwy 150. For larger quantities I get it from Shuler Meats off Business 85 in Thomasville, but you have to buy it by the case from Shuler.

I had issues getting tri-tip from Olde World Meat Market for Father's Day. I called about a week ahead to order it, young man answered and said no problem. The next day, a lady called and said she didn't know why the young man took the order because they cut the tri-tip off the sirloin and they already had sirloin and couldn't get more in that would go to waste just to give me tri-tip. I blinked a few times, said OK and called Ogburn Station. Guy there said he would get it for me, but it turned out being just a roast. :noidea:

Planning on smoking a pork shoulder on my weber charcoal grill tomorrow. Only smoked ribs on there before. Tips/advice appreciated

Do it just like the ribs. 275 degrees, top vent wide open, throttle the bottom to control temp. Probably want to use the snake method. You'll have to add fuel eventually, so try to plan for that.

Smoked a 9lb shoulder on my slightly modified cheap barrel smoker last weekend. Same as usual I can get a good 6 maybe 7 hours of smoking until having to reload which is a pain in the butt so I finish it in a stoneware covered roasting pan in a 225 oven for another 5-7 hours. I use a rack to raise it off the bottom of the roasting pan so it doesn't stew. When the meat temp gets around 190 I turn the oven down to 200 and let it sit for another hour or so. Comes out buttery tender. Used apple wood chunks this time and although I was pretty good I think I like using hickory better.

I haven't done one myself, but have had it before. It has been a few years, so can't say I remember how it was prepared exactly, but it was tasty.

I would think smoking it like a tri-tip, then reverse searing on the grill would be the way to go.

Back