• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Any more details on this? Sounds awesome.

Unfortunately no. Filled up my smoker with pork butts for the church and didn't have room to squeeze on the corn beef brisket. I am smoking it this weekend and will report back.

I picked up a pre-brined corn beef brisket this weekend, going to throw it on the smoker this weekend and see how the pastrami turns out.

So this turned out really good I thought. I took a few samples over to the Halloween party I went to and everyone liked it. A bit salty on its own, but I imagine piled on a sandwich with various toppings would fix that.

So this turned out really good I thought. I took a few samples over to the Halloween party I went to and everyone liked it. A bit salty on its own, but I imagine piled on a sandwich with various toppings would fix that.

Good to hear. Gonna keep an eye out for it to see if I can make one myself. Time and temp recs?

Pics or it didn't happen.

Good to hear. Gonna keep an eye out for it to see if I can make one myself. Time and temp recs?

Smoked it around 230/240 until it reached 195. I put it on at 10 PM Friday night and it was done around 2:00 PM Saturday I think?

Pics attached...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 0
Anybody ever smoked oysters? We're going to try a few on Thanksgiving. Any tips or tricks for a novice?

Anybody ever smoked oysters? We're going to try a few on Thanksgiving. Any tips or tricks for a novice?

Whole oysters or on the half shell? If cooking whole oysters, its not too bad but cooking them on the half shell lends to drying them out very easily. I've done them whole before, using a wet burlap bag to insulate them and they turned out great. Something similar to this, but on the smoker.

http://www.bunkycooks.com/2013/02/how-to-prepare-a-lowcountry-oyster-roast/

Just finished dry-brining our turkey for Thanksgiving. Going to smoke it in the Cookshack, definitely appreciate that our butcher spatchcocked it for us.

Following this recipe - the write-up is pretty convincing:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/11/the-food-lab-step-by-step-guide-smoking-turkey.html

Enjoy. I've smoked turkey 3 years in a row; just smoked 2 x 12 pound birds this past Saturday that turned out great. I used mostly apple wood with a bit of cherry.

ETA: here's a picture of one of my smoked birds.

ab6a616680dcfaef9867229f886bbefb.jpg

Last edited:
Smoking 3 boneless turkey breasts. Thinking of wrapping in bacon or at least throwing a few slices on top to help keep them moist. We are brining them also.

Smoking 3 boneless turkey breasts. Thinking of wrapping in bacon or at least throwing a few slices on top to help keep them moist. We are brining them also.

Bacon might help. I'd forgo the bacon and cook them as if I were roasting them, but with smoke. Run the smoker at roasting temp (325-375) to cook them similar to what you'd do in the oven. They'll cook fast and won't be oversmoked or dried out.

Bacon might help. I'd forgo the bacon and cook them as if I were roasting them, but with smoke. Run the smoker at roasting temp (325-375) to cook them similar to what you'd do in the oven. They'll cook fast and won't be oversmoked or dried out.

Thanks!

Whole oysters or on the half shell? If cooking whole oysters, its not too bad but cooking them on the half shell lends to drying them out very easily. I've done them whole before, using a wet burlap bag to insulate them and they turned out great. Something similar to this, but on the smoker.

basically just don't shuck them first, and [if you're not using a burlap bag] once they start to open up take em out pretty quickly

it's a different approach to a typical smoke where it's ok to open the smoker several times

overcooking is the enemy

we do this every new years now - so good

basically just don't shuck them first, and [if you're not using a burlap bag] once they start to open up take em out pretty quickly

it's a different approach to a typical smoke where it's ok to open the smoker several times

overcooking is the enemy

we do this every new years now - so good

Awesome. Most recipes that were popping up on Google involved shucking them first and that had me a little nervous so this sounds much better.

re-reading my note, i was unclear

in a traditional smoke, you don't want to open the smoker more than once

with oysters, you should be taking them out right after they open, so multiple opens of the smoker is ok

Smoking short ribs and chicken tomorrow. Any suggestions on time for either and/or good rub recipes?

Smoked a pork shoulder today for 6 1/2 hours. 24 hour dry rub I came up with and 2 different basting liquids alternating each hourish. Came out pretty good.

Back