• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How millennials killed American cheese

Am I the only one that just says fuck it and throws feta on everything?

Froot-Loop-Dressing-2aw.jpg

What's wrong with feta? I guess it's like the American cheese of non-american cheeses?

What's wrong with feta? I guess it's like the American cheese of non-american cheeses?

I've stayed away from commenting on this thread because anything I've got to say would merit a "dickhead" tag, but don't worry about Feta. Good Feta is FAR from being the American cheese of anything. It's a standard for me and I always have it on hand, especially to make a default quick and "healthy" dish I make.

this is a great book

nytcover%20260w.jpg

basically shows that a lot of the stuff we think we're eating we're not. and it shows how for a lot of things (like cheese, olive oil, etc), other countries have much stricter laws regarding ensuring the real thing is what you're buying, but the US is quite lax on a lot of that. I blame the boomers in power -- they could do something but don't.

Meh we don't need government regulations on this. If you can afford it you should be able to have purchasing power to buy "real" stinky aged cheddar which nobody actually enjoys but pretending you do gives social douchbaggery bonus points.

If your broke you should have options to cheaper alternatives, as long as they are marginally safe to eat. BTW cheep American cheese tastes better than 95% of all other cheeses.

Meh we don't need government regulations on this. If you can afford it you should be able to have purchasing power to buy "real" stinky aged cheddar which nobody actually enjoys but pretending you do gives social douchbaggery bonus points.

If your broke you should have options to cheaper alternatives, as long as they are marginally safe to eat. BTW cheep American cheese tastes better than 95% of all other cheeses.

yeah that's not it at all. due to lax labeling laws and unscrupulous producers, you often are not eating what the label says you're eating, no matter what price you paid. it's especially bad with seafood, and the only way to really know what you're eating is to buy the whole fish or see your fishmonger break it down for you.

Wrong, Parmesan overpowers and ruins great pasta.

woof, your second epically bad take

yeah that's not it at all. due to lax labeling laws and unscrupulous producers, you often are not eating what the label says you're eating, no matter what price you paid. it's especially bad with seafood, and the only way to really know what you're eating is to buy the whole fish or see your fishmonger break it down for you.

woof, your second epically bad take

As someone who lives in the rural Yadkin Valley area, the statement including the phrase " your fishmonger" made me giggle uncontrollably for about 3 minutes.

Wrong, Parmesan overpowers and ruins great pasta.

As someone who lives in the rural Yadkin Valley area, the statement including the phrase " your fishmonger" made me giggle uncontrollably for about 3 minutes.

well then whatever fish you're buying at Lowe's Foods or whatever probably isn't what it says it is

well then whatever fish you're buying at Lowe's Foods or whatever probably isn't what it says it is

No argument there. I wish I had access to consistent, fresh, appropriately labeled seafood.

No argument there. I wish I had access to consistent, fresh, appropriately labeled seafood.

I hope millennial politicians will get into office and demand accurate labeling laws.

I hope millennial politicians will get into office and demand accurate labeling laws.

If they weren't too busy buying all this goddamn artisan cheese, they might have time to run for office.

or realized it's an integral ingredient in many pasta dishes, not just dumped on top

"real" stinky aged cheddar which nobody actually enjoys but pretending you do gives social douchbaggery bonus points.”

Dude has an infant palate. Live a little.

Back