• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2020

Thanks for everything, Conor! I hope you can get some much deserved, albeit unexpected, time off.

My pleasure.

And shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I've got a decent list of stories to work on. Cobbling together a football notebook today and tomorrow. Currie will "probably" be made available next week, as will Clawson, I've been told.

Also was advised I'm "on loan" to the Journal's news desk as needed. Going from paint touches and free throws to armed robberies should be interesting.

My pleasure.

And shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I've got a decent list of stories to work on. Cobbling together a football notebook today and tomorrow. Currie will "probably" be made available next week, as will Clawson, I've been told.

Also was advised I'm "on loan" to the Journal's news desk as needed. Going from paint touches and free throws to armed robberies should be interesting.
Eh, with Manning in charge those are all about the same thing.

My pleasure.

You should do profiles on ogboards’ members and the boards as a whole. That would take more than enough time to get you through the period until sports return!

Conor, in soccer if you are on loan, I think you get a bonus or extra pay. At least they should pick up your rent/mortgage.

Conor, in soccer if you are on loan, I think you get a bonus or extra pay. At least they should pick up your rent/mortgage.

Bonuses? In newspapers? These days?!

I haven't had a good laugh like that since watching Carolina lose by 28.

Bonuses? In newspapers? These days?!

I haven't had a good laugh like that since watching Carolina lose by 28.
Maybe RJ will share some of that $45k he thinks he's going to win from his board bet, Connor.

My pleasure.

Conor, does Mick give you any paint touches on the editorial page or can you get to the free throw line at Ask Sam?

Conor, does Mick give you any paint touches on the editorial page or can you get to the free throw line at Ask Sam?

I can count on one hand the number of times I've even seen ole Mick. His office is in a different part of the office I've been to when: hired/need to visit HR/needed a conference room.

MLB and the MLBPA have reportedly reached an agreement to shorten the 2020 draft to 5 rounds (could be extended to a maximum of 10). Signing bonus would be largely deferred, and undrafted players could be signed for no more than 10K. These changes drastically change the financial incentive to sign with an MLB team this Summer (except to start the path to MLB where the money is big).

This is significant for WF baseball because the Deacs have a ton of players that looked to be drafted this year, but assuming that MLB goes back to the regular draft format in 2021, it would make sense for a lot of college players (and highly regarded recruits) to play in college next year.

Currie will "probably" be made available ??? That is some major league bullshit right there. Currie is not going to talk to any reporter anytime soon, unless he fires manning which we know he is not going to do.

Currie will "probably" be made available ??? That is some major league bullshit right there. Currie is not going to talk to any reporter anytime soon, unless he fires manning which we know he is not going to do.

OG Board freezing cold take for me!

Not to derail a baseball thread for basketball discussion, but I'm still thinking/hoping Currie is made available once a decision on Manning is made. Maybe I'm putting my faith in the wrong place, but that's what Les and I have been repeatedly since before the end of the season.

Thanks Conor! I hadn’t even considered how this could help us keep incoming kids. That new way the money is being paid is a big deal.

My pleasure!

The catcher from Florida sounds like a similar situation to the first baseman who was drafted right before Griffin Roberts, IIRC, in the 2018 draft. They knew they'd lose him. With re-scaled draft, there's a chance they keep him.

Sounds like major leagues are trying to make college baseball into additional minor league teams they don't have to fund. Even though they won't have any control, those would have been 15th - 45th round picks will be playing live games under good conditions. And getting coaching. Those at the highest levels of college baseball probably have better facilities than most current A-level minor leagues.

Sounds like MLB owners are willing to trade zero cost and no control for the cost and control they currently have.

Great article, liked how Walter did not hold back in assessing where he thought each of his juniors would go in the draft. Really insightful.

MLB is going to get away with gutting minor league baseball with the help of the current crisis. Minor league baseball interests had been effective in rallying support for and drawing attention to MLB's money-hungry attempt to slash the number of MILB franchises. As a result, it was going to be really hard for MLB to take that step, and MLB had started to back pedal. All that changed in the last month, congress and the media have their attention on larger issues now, and all pro franchises will be able to legitimately claim large adverse impacts as the result of the crisis. There won't be the same desire to oppose.

It should help the quality of college baseball, but the NCAA has already pushed the season out as it possibly can go (the College W-S now goes deep into June), even so, for the majority of the country baseball in February, March and even April is tough because of nasty/unpredictable weather.

Some great recognition right there.

You can make an argument that Wake has some of the best facilities outside of Major League Baseball and their spring training complexes.

Back