• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2020

I’ve heard from players that Walters is the most distant coach ever. “You can count on one hand how many conservations I had with him in the fall, dude is like a robot” Players have no clue where they stand on team. Hitting coach isn’t very intelligent from what I can gather.

Really hope you guys are making this up. I’ve been to multiple games every season, and this doesn’t seem accurate. Most games you can hear just about everything he’s saying if you sit on the 3rd base side. He seems encouraging to all the guys, and wants them all to succeed. I can’t speak for Cilento. I could understand him being an overhyped coach. Walter speaks very highly of him, but what he’s doing now isn’t working great. His players have a terrible plate approach. Cilento is considered the hitting coach, so he works extensively on the offensive side of things. So far, I think everyone agree John Hendricks has done a very solid job in his time at Wake. The pitching staff has improved greatly. We will see how well he recruits, but it looks like they have a very good pitching class coming in next year. Excited for Hendricks.

it’s not so much he wants them to succeed (obviously) as it is he wants to micromanage and paralysis by analysis. The constant critiquing and yelling every single pitch is sometimes unbearable especially when nobody is in the stands

came across this the other day, think this speaks volume to Walters awkward relationship with players. How is that supposed to make a young player feel when they basically read they are going to be used as cannon fodder. why didn’t he just stop after “win”. I’ve seen him soeak
Negatively before about other players.

Walter on Meany (February 2020)
"John has been a wonderful addition to our club. He is one of those players who does the little things that don't show up in a box score but help a program win. He's our fourth catcher and will spend most of his time in the bullpen saving wear-and-tear on Tinsman, Muntz and Simoneit."

Sounds like deacs86 has an axe to grind. You are saying you have insider info on Walter’s relationships with players, but what you are describing is not at all how things actually are. Coach Walters is very much a players coach. All the things you described would match the previous baseball coach more. The coaches can’t hit for the players and they also can’t swing at strikes for them. If the guys get going like they did last year, this argument becomes useless. And who’s to say they don’t get the offense going this week?

Sounds like deacs86 has an axe to grind. You are saying you have insider info on Walter’s relationships with players, but what you are describing is not at all how things actually are. Coach Walters is very much a players coach. All the things you described would match the previous baseball coach more. The coaches can’t hit for the players and they also can’t swing at strikes for them. If the guys get going like they did last year, this argument becomes useless. And who’s to say they don’t get the offense going this week?

Did you play for him?

Tyler Witt started bottom of the 5th with us leading 4 - 2. He faced 9 batters, gave up 2 runs on 3 hits and two walks. Score: 4 - 4.

Tyler Witt started bottom of the 5th with us leading 4 - 2. He faced 9 batters, gave up 2 runs on 3 hits and two walks. Score: 4 - 4.

And next reliever (McNamee?) gives up homer to 1st batter to give them a 5-4 lead....

8-4 Coastal in the 6th. We are perennially the most underachieving team in college baseball.

This will be two years in a row where we were ranked preseason where we will end up staying home. Whatever Walter is doing isn't working.

We had the ACC POY returning and 2 Preseason All Americans. This is a joke.

Update: 10-4 now, still in the 6th. Got to that "improved pitching"...

Score after 6 innings: 4 - 10, Coastal. We used three relievers in that inning. McNamee and Myers were ineffective. Hearn faced two batters and got them out. I'm giving up on this one...

Wake closes campus for the spring, says students should not return to campus if possible

Wake closes campus for the spring, says students should not return to campus if possible

Not all Ivys are closed.

Back