• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2020

This team has been frustrating to watch since the opener against Seton Hall. They will hit some home runs but if they don’t they need 3 hits to score. We have not shown the ability to string a number of hits or at least good ABs together. This team is going nowhere. In a few weeks it will be about boosting numbers for draft status.

miraculous they didn't get swept. what it comes down to is players change but losing coaches like walters remain. almost cost them the game yesterday taking out catcher and replacing him with an inept defensively in the ninth. that's how you have one winning season out of 10 with comparable players to the rest of the league

players play scared (walks, errors, blowing leads, etc) and i think that's directly attributed to the culture walters exudes. its almost like he expects to lose and the players feed off that. wish they'd fire him and hire a new young coach

Somewhat sad and embarrassing to have put the $ into the stadium and facilities and have to watch baseball like this....

Didnt happen. 11-0 in the 6th. I tried to be optimistic yesterday but underneath felt this was more likely.

Feel now like well get smoked regularly by the better ACC teams....at State will likely be real ugly...

You do realize UL was preseason #2, now 6th, State is now 7th and LBSU is 18th?!?! Maybe we give this year's team a chance to develop before you bury them. Front loaded schedule sucks.

players play scared (walks, errors, blowing leads, etc) and i think that's directly attributed to the culture walters exudes. its almost like he expects to lose and the players feed off that. wish they'd fire him and hire a new young coach

wut? Walter is not a very scary guy. If you’ve been around him, you would know that. He also doesn’t expect to lose in the slightest. I think he’s overly confident that his team will win, year in year out.

The team lost the series to the #6 team in the country. It happens. We need to win the midweek games now (Coastal will be tough, they always are). Wake will start winning some conference series, I don’t doubt that. I think we’re overreacting a little bit. It was a bad showing today, but I think they’ll improve because of it.

wut? Walter is not a very scary guy. If you’ve been around him, you would know that. He also doesn’t expect to lose in the slightest. I think he’s overly confident that his team will win, year in year out.

The team lost the series to the #6 team in the country. It happens. We need to win the midweek games now (Coastal will be tough, they always are). Wake will start winning some conference series, I don’t doubt that. I think we’re overreacting a little bit. It was a bad showing today, but I think they’ll improve because of it.

not scary, just always negative. paces up and down dugout like a nervous wreck, know guys how have played there say puts everyone on edge

fascinated with playing the L R matchup game with guys who flat out stink, pitchers year after year walk too many guys and team fades in crunch time. the players change in that time period but the coach remains

Highly ranked #7 state lost 2 of 3 at unranked UVA.

Not against us who they get at home. State is a rowdy full supportive venue. Best of the Big 4. I don't think we'll win 1 with the way we're playing...

Unless you have been in that clubhouse, in the dugout, or on the field with Tom Walter, or any of the coaches for that matter, how can you say "Walter is not a very scary guy.."? What you see in interviews or in any personal/fan/booster interactions with Walter is a public persona. Do you really think the way he presents himself publicly and in the media is the way he really is to his players? Do you think he is a super nice guy to his players because he donated a kidney to a recruit 10 years ago? Deacs86 is 100 percent right. Walter is not "scary" but he makes everyone nervous in that dugout because he's a finger pointer and doesn't make players relax or feel comfortable, he blames them for everything they do wrong…. him and his associate Head coach Bill Cilento who current and former players have told me has 3-4 favorites he likes on the team and that he just shits on the rest of the guys and bullies them around. He takes credit for Wake's offensive success but Cilento is a fraud as a hitting coach.

Hmmm... Not a good report. You seem to have a firsthand opinion.
He "doesn't make players relax or feel comfortable, he blames them for everything they do wrong…."

Is 'blames' the operative word? Learning, correcting, and accountability would seem to be part of a common improvement process.

Yes, "blames" is the operative word. I've been told not a whole lot of constructive coaching and correcting. Just a whole lot of finger pointing. And I don't have a firsthand opinion. I have close ties to several current and former players, let's just leave it at that.

not scary, just always negative. paces up and down dugout like a nervous wreck, know guys how have played there say puts everyone on edge

this is a better response than i was expecting. don't know the inner workings, but definitely not implausible that there's not a winning culture.

Realistic question, if He hadn’t donated a kidney, is he coaching wake forest rn? Worried that a fellow wellman crony like Currie won’t judge off results and will never hold Walter accountable for his record based solely off kidney (not taking anything away from his act) point is it shouldn’t increase his job security

Back