• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2020

Matt Antonelli would be a great candidate, young guy and played at wake. Not sure he’s ever managed but has own travel baseball organization and gives instruction videos that are very informative. Knows more about baseball on one finger than Walters.

Scott Daeley, alum, current associate head coach/recruiting coordinator at Georgia. Might make too much money/have his sights on something bigger, but if we make a change, that's where to look. Good dude.

It's all about pitching. Bottom of the 5th, with the score at 4 - 2, we were into a pitching duel. At that point, after walking two and striking out three in the 4th inning, Menendez was relieved, having thrown 77 pitches. The reliever, Tyler Witt immediately gives up a HR to the first batter he faces. We're now up by only one run, and the prospects of our being able to keep this pitching duel going just flew over the fence. Witt continues to pitch and gets the next man out. The next batter, however, doubles into left field. He's faced three batters and given up two extra base hits. It was time, I believed, for a new pitcher. I was also wondering why we had pulled Menendez. Was he unable to pitch further? He looked fine and was pitching well.

Witt continued and walked the next batter. The go-ahead run is now on base. Still no reliever. Witt pitches to the next batter who singles and brings in another run. Game tied! Witt continues pitching. The next batter fouls out. Then, Witt walks the bases loaded. Witt continues pitching! He gets lucky when the batter grounds out to end the inning.

The 6th inning saw us do nothing, offensively, and so we continue to the bottom of the 6th, which is where we totally fell apart. Cole McNamee started on the mound for us. First batter he faced hit a HR! Score now 4 - 5, and time for another pitcher! But, no! Cole keeps pitching until he walks the next TWO batters! In comes Riley Myers to pitch. The very first batter bunts! We badly misplay the ball allowing a run to score with runners left on 2d and 3d. Cole then serves up a pitch which the batter slams for a two-run double. Score now 4 - 8. The game is now probably lost, considering that Lanzilli, Seymour, and Cecere have all drawn the horse collar today. But, Cole continues to pitch. He gets his first out of the inning on another sacrifice, which we play correctly. Then, he gives up back-to-back singles to shortstop, with another run scoring. Finally, Bobby Hearn comes in to pitch with runners on 2d and 3d and one out. Another run scores on a sacrifice fly, and then Hearn strikes out the next batter he faces, to end the inning. Of the four relievers Walter has used, so far, Hearn is the only one who's looked the part. The score is 4 - 10 at the end of 6 full innings.

Hearn pitches the 7th and gives up no runs or hits. Smith comes on to pitch the 8th and sets them down 1, 2, 3. I cannot help but wonder if Menendez could have gone 6, or maybe 5, instead of 4, and Hearn and Smith could have gone 3, or 4. The idea is to use relievers who can get batters out and win, rather than have would-be relievers come in and throw what amounts to batting practice for the opposing team.

Matt Antonelli would be a great candidate, young guy and played at wake. Not sure he’s ever managed but has own travel baseball organization and gives instruction videos that are very informative. Knows more about baseball on one finger than Walters.

I just found out about his videos last week on a Braves’ forum. He has a huge following and a ton of respect. I don’t see us hiring someone with no HC experience, but he needs to be on staff. I appreciate that he wears WF baseball gear in a lot of his videos too.

the SEC has suspended all regular season sports until March 30; would expect to see the ACC act in a similar way

So funny about Antonelli. I have a kid that is a HS baseball player who always tinkers with his swing and hunts for baseball videos 24/7. Last year, he asked me if I heard of a former WF baseball player named Matt Antonelli because his baseball videos are prolific on YouTube.

Baseball just cancelled for rest of the year. Good riddance.

Damn right. I chalk this up to a win in that we won't have to watch anymore games riddled with wild pitches, passed balls, errors, and high volume strikeouts.

Damn right. I chalk this up to a win in that we won't have to watch anymore games riddled with wild pitches, passed balls, errors, and high volume strikeouts.

Sadly I don’t think we saw enough for a coaching change. That’s the only negative.

I wonder how the extra eligibility impacts baseball. Have to think most will still leave if they are getting drafted.

I wonder how the extra eligibility impacts baseball. Have to think most will still leave if they are getting drafted.

Most baseball players with a shot at the MLB draft leave after their junior year; so, the extra eligibility rule for seniors shouldn't have much of an impact on legit MLB prospects.

Most baseball players with a shot at the MLB draft leave after their junior year; so, the extra eligibility rule for seniors shouldn't have much of an impact on legit MLB prospects.

Right. I just wonder how people’s draft stock will be measured without basically this whole season.

I understand the dislike for the way things were going this season so far but I hate it for the players and the coaches. I know one of the coaches personally and he is extremely bummed out.

Right. I just wonder how people’s draft stock will be measured without basically this whole season.

Would guess if. by the middle of May. the crisis abates to the point where games can be played and/or people are allowed to congregate in large numbers, MLB will essentially set up a combine for the top 300 college junior/senior prospects to be tested and play simulated games. Given the situation, would think/hope that the NCAA would agree in advance that participating in the combine would not extinguish the eligibility of any players that elect to not sign after participating in the combine as such a scenario would require insurance in case of an injury during testing.

Back