• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Where RJKarl is everyone's professional reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
was actually talking about Kundera this past weekend and was surprised to find that he is still alive

has anybody read any of his more recent stuff?

i haven't been accused of being pretentious for a while which is suspicious, maybe i've been too busy being annoying on the tunnels, but i'm giving that up til the election

so anyway here goes

if someone asked what my favorite book was i used to say Infinite Jest, but someone said people who pick that only do so because they want to sound smart and a younger me would have been very upset by that but i think current me would say at least partially i like the book because it makes me think or flatters me into thinking i'm smart for liking it

but i'm not really sure what a good answer to that question is unless you wholly don't GAF what other people think of your answer

it's kind of like the question "what kind of music do you like" that can just throw me into utter panic unless i reflexively say "i like lots of stuff"

"pretty much everything except rap and country and classical"

"country plus rap equals crap"

I think my answer to favorite book is 100 Years of Solitude, but I'd rather talk about the best book I read from the last three or six months

my favorite books are the Silmarillion, The Guns of August and Sailing Alone Around the World

now I can talk about my least favorite book -- The Alchemist -- for as long as you want

just read The Topeka School which was great and am reading Tell No One, a nonfiction about the Troubles that my brother in law gave me for xmas that i can only read like 20 pages of at a time because it's fucked up. before that i'd had a hard time getting into a book for a while and kept kinda picking up books and putting them down except i'd read some grisham or king or something just for something to read. my attention span sometimes does that.

i think the best book i've read since i got out of college is All The Light We Cannot See

Moby Dick totally rules, and may be *the best* book i've ever read, but also isn't one i'm rushing back to read again

just read The Topeka School which was great and am reading Tell No One, a nonfiction about the Troubles that my brother in law gave me for xmas that i can only read like 20 pages of at a time because it's fucked up. before that i'd had a hard time getting into a book for a while and kept kinda picking up books and putting them down except i'd read some grisham or king or something just for something to read. my attention span sometimes does that.

i think the best book i've read since i got out of college is All The Light We Cannot See

Moby Dick totally rules, and may be *the best* book i've ever read, but also isn't one i'm rushing back to read again

hey i read a book that townie read and said was good ! my day keeps getting better

i, too, love Moby Dick. also big sur

"pretty much everything except rap and country and classical"

A friend of mine is 85 years old. He's been a professional high level musician for over 65 years. According to him, there are only two kinds of music- good- the stuff you like and bad- the stuff you don't. He says any other categories are a waste of time. :)

i like kerouac a lot less than i did in high school when i thought doing speed and writing books was the absolute coolest thing imaginable

Anyone ever read any Lewis Norman?

If I wanna seen smart I’m gonna say Blood Meridian is my favorite book.

If I wanna be honest I’m gonna say It is my favorite book.

I remember reading To the Lighthouse in high school and that as required reading to a 16 year old was excruciating. It would go on as the least favorite thing I’ve ever read but I do wonder if that perspective would change with a reread years later.

Haven't read Big Sur, but need to. Read Dharma Bums pretty recently and loved that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back