• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really don’t believe that? In Winston-Salem, 5000 of the 55,000 students did not log on a single time from when school went virtual in March until the end of the school year. Not a single time.

To be fair, the article that statistic comes from doesn't really give any background on it.

You're missing the point. 9% never logged in. A whole lot more logged in a couple of times and then said fuck it.

I'm sure that's true, although I have seen no stats telling me how big that low effort number is. Nonetheless the point stands. Because our national leadership is incompetent, we now have to make a choice between optimal education for our least motivated students (who need the most help and resources) and keeping people well and alive. That sucks, it shouldn't have happened this way, and none of the available choices are good.

Stock ticker symbol is OPK, Opko Health. They own BioReference Labs the #3 Covid testing lab in the country. Stock was about $1.50 back in Jan-Feb and they had a couple of good drugs in the Phase 2 to Phase 3 pipeline when I noticed their CEO Dr Frost has been buying up millions of shares on his own and not selling. Then Covid hit and they have been one of the leaders in testing since March. Were doing 40,000 tests at $100 per pop and also thousands of antibody tests per day also at $100 per pop. Earnings were negative for 1st quarter thru March which did NOT include much Covid testing billing. Sock is up over $4 now on its way, I feel to $6 by the Aug5 earnings date when these testings earnings start to hit! For those that know some about shorting, there are also about 120 million shares shorted on this stock out of about 700 mill total outstanding shares and the CEO & President own 200 mill or more shares. So when it starts to rocket up it could start a "short squeeze" of significant portions. Do your due diligence on OPK. I have a significant number of shares and Sept & Dec options also. I look for great things in this Covid stock!

Stock ticker symbol is OPK, Opko Health. They own BioReference Labs the #3 Covid testing lab in the country. Stock was about $1.50 back in Jan-Feb and they had a couple of good drugs in the Phase 2 to Phase 3 pipeline when I noticed their CEO Dr Frost has been buying up millions of shares on his own and not selling. Then Covid hit and they have been one of the leaders in testing since March. Were doing 40,000 tests at $100 per pop and also thousands of antibody tests per day also at $100 per pop. Earnings were negative for 1st quarter thru March which did NOT include much Covid testing billing. Sock is up over $4 now on its way, I feel to $6 by the Aug5 earnings date when these testings earnings start to hit! For those that know some about shorting, there are also about 120 million shares shorted on this stock out of about 700 mill total outstanding shares and the CEO & President own 200 mill or more shares. So when it starts to rocket up it could start a "short squeeze" of significant portions. Do your due diligence on OPK. I have a significant number of shares and Sept & Dec options also. I look for great things in this Covid stock!

Did TheReff turn into a spambot? Not complaining... that might be an improvement.

You really don’t believe that? In Winston-Salem, 5000 of the 55,000 students did not log on a single time from when school went virtual in March until the end of the school year. Not a single time.

World needs ditch diggers too.

Let’s not pretend just because kids are at school they’re learning.

World needs ditch diggers too.

Let’s not pretend just because kids are at school they’re learning.

I can’t tell if you’re being ironic or obtuse here, so I’ll dial back my ire, but they’ve got a hell of a lot better chance to learn if they’re physically in school.

Did TheReff turn into a spambot? Not complaining... that might be an improvement.

Don’t care if you use this to make any money or not & not plugging anything. Just trying to show you a way to make a shit ton of money mainly because of Covid for the next few quarters. Will get back to you though when it hits $10 in the fall.

Then those kids should fail. That isn't on any administrator. That's on kids who are old enough to be accountable.

I can’t tell if you’re being ironic or obtuse here, so I’ll dial back my ire, but they’ve got a hell of a lot better chance to learn if they’re physically in school.

Not necessarily. High schools have plenty of kids who just don't give a shit. At some point in time students need to account for their own actions or inactions. Would it be better to have everyone in school. Yes. Is there going to be a percentage of kids who will suck eggs be it live or distanced learning, yes.

Not necessarily. High schools have plenty of kids who just don't give a shit. At some point in time students need to account for their own actions or inactions. Would it be better to have everyone in school. Yes. Is there going to be a percentage of kids who will suck eggs be it live or distanced learning, yes.

Cool. I mean, I’ve only taught English in a high school for two decades and experienced how ineffective distance learning was at the end of last semester, but you’re probably right here. And those kids who need to be held accountable for their own actions don’t have any extenuating circumstances or rely on the schools to meet basic necessities, especially in the most turbulent time period in the past 80 years or so. Carry on.

mako is an fellow micro old?

Inspired by (in rebellion against?) my wint tweet in that genius townie post, but I'm pretty fucking pissed right now. Maybe it's realer because one of my staff is home sick as hell right now with COVID and her partner just got diagnosed and has serious pre-existing conditions that dramatically increase his risk. Maybe it's the 5 million plus that have lost their employee sponsored health insurance since the pandemic started. Maybe it's the brief the DOJ filed to end the ACA, which, in the middle of a FUCKING PANDEMIC, would end medicaid expansive the gut protections for preexisting conditions, among other things. Maybe in the second brief the DOJ filed to overturn the appeals court ruling striking Medicaid work requirements waivers, even though we have good data that doing so doesn't actually promote work, it just kicks poor people off insurance, again, DURING A FUCKING PANDEMIC. Maybe it's the god damn groundhog day in Houston and Miami of filling hospitals, of 7+ day wait times for test results, and elder care centers without resources or PPE 7 god damn months into this thing. I don't know. But I'm usually pretty chill, and I'm just not fucking chill right now.

My parents asked me to fact check articles from Breitbart and The Epoch Times that they probably got from church friends. Both articles claimed labs in FL are fudging the positive test results.

So Republicans continue to insist the problem doesn’t exist.

Maybe it's the 5 beers, but this got me

5f3e7ac62b38d2df5f99fd5fdf9608f9dd839a5f.png.jpg

My parents asked me to fact check articles from Breitbart and The Epoch Times that they probably got from church friends. Both articles claimed labs in FL are fudging the positive test results.

So Republicans continue to insist the problem doesn’t exist.

1. Republicans do continue to insist the problem doesn't exist
2. Multiple labs in Florida have in fact been submitting only positive test results, which skews the numbers. Nate Silver thinks the impact is not huge (but it definitely, unfortunately, gives air cover to #1)

It doesn’t skew the number of positive tests though. It doesn’t mask the problem at all.

This tweet captures my thoughts. Our testing isn’t good enough for this to matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back