• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

As the article noted, contracts are complex in many cases. Decreasing coaches salaries at Wake may require renegotiation of each contract. At Wake any reductions would need to start at the top. Hatch. And work on down.

Do it Hatch. Company C Suites are starting too.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-pay-crisis-right-call-iowa-state/5116446002/

Cutting college coaches' pay during coronavirus crisis is the right call

This is very well said. Academic departments have steadily been dealing with budget issues for years.

“"I’d hope overall athletic directors and presidents would say, ‘We can operate more on a have-to instead of want-to basis,'” said David Ridpath, an associate professor of sports management at Ohio University. “They’ve never as an industry really had to face the scrutiny that a college of business does or a college of fine arts does, but that may change.”

It will have to, if for no other reason than it would be both illogical and morally bankrupt for a university to be cutting everywhere except within the somewhat artificial market for coaching salaries that was created mostly by their lack of collective backbone.”

So if we keep Manning and the coming basketball season gets canceled, does that mean Manning is here for two more years?

Blaming the players is absurd. They signed as 17-year-olds with a guy who clearly can sell a bill of goods. Now they love Wake Forest and don't want to leave. Seriously fuck anyone who wants to blame them for this mess. Chaundee and Olivier are great Deacs and deserve one season under a real coach.

man, if only we had a person in charge of the whole athletic program who had the power to fire an incompetent coach and replace them with a competent one . I know, I know, that's crazy talk.

man, if only we had a person in charge of the whole athletic program who had the power to fire an incompetent coach and replace them with a competent one . I know, I know, that's crazy talk.
Yeah that's made a little bit more difficult by the massive financial uncertainty and revenue decreases that are occurring in the athletic department right now. I seriously don't get what's so hard to understand about that.

Chaundee and Olivier are great Deacs and deserve one season under a real coach.

I mean, so did Travis McKie. They won’t get it, unfortunately. Fuck John Currie!

There is a real horseshoe effect when it comes to the “blame the players” faction on here.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-pay-crisis-right-call-iowa-state/5116446002/

Cutting college coaches' pay during coronavirus crisis is the right call

Golly a ray of logic in a crazy world. It is the right thing to do, but I would guess it would be a cold day in Hell before DFL would agree to anything so helpful to the whole university. I could see all other coaches signing on and DFL saying "hell no" I want every frigging dime I am owed. After all I only have several million in the bank and my stock portfolio has taken a real hit!" Don't see DFl donating $5.0 million dollars to help the city like Drew Brees did!

Is there any update on how the negotiations with Manning are going?

Too bad Brandon Childress is short and not as skilled as Danny Manning.

almost posted this as its own thread --- https://padailypost.com/2020/04/04/stanford-cuts-pay-for-top-administrators-as-it-trims-budget/ -- Stanford administration initiating pay cuts --- there is the potential for a re-rating of the expenses at academic institutions. Have thought this before, so it likely is off, but the bubble in college costs has the potential to burst. This has implications across institutions.

This is one of the early dominoes. I expect to see this happen at every college. Iowa State did 10% in athletics. Now Stanford is doing 20% in academic administration. The cuts could eventually reach 50% in some places. Some upper level administrators could take 75% cuts and would still be making hefty salaries. Many would still be making more than state governors.

Back