• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

LOL yea Chaundee hes one of the worst coaches in ACC history but sure lets not look at the past, i get Chaundee’s loyalty to Manning but that is a bad take.

"The Deacons are 78-111 and 30-80 in the ACC in Manning’s six seasons at Wake Forest. Their best finish in the ACC was a 10th-place showing in 2017, which is the only season in the last 10 that featured a postseason berth."

Reading those numbers never ceases to make me sick. And Chaundee asks "why". I love Chaundee and I love that he is backing his HC, but my goodness, what kind of bubble are you living in where you don't understand why people are questioning why Manning would be coming back??

Has Currie spoken with Conor yet like he alleged he would? I’ll believe that when it actually happens which I guess is not anytime soon.

Has Currie spoken with Conor yet like he alleged he would? I’ll believe that when it actually happens which I guess is not anytime soon.

Connor referred in a later tweet to a member of the Athletic department that was not as available as Manning.

I hope it’s Currie and it’s because he’s finding some Brinks trucks for the buyout.

"The Deacons are 78-111 and 30-80 in the ACC in Manning’s six seasons at Wake Forest. Their best finish in the ACC was a 10th-place showing in 2017, which is the only season in the last 10 that featured a postseason berth."

Reading those numbers never ceases to make me sick. And Chaundee asks "why". I love Chaundee and I love that he is backing his HC, but my goodness, what kind of bubble are you living in where you don't understand why people are questioning why Manning would be coming back??

Pretty soon there will be a generation of Deacs without a winning season during their lifetime... :(

I'm assuming Currie owes the team an answer by the deadline to declare for the draft in case Sarr or anyone else wants to continue the tradition of leaving early and not getting drafted.

Chaundee doesn't know any better. If he stuck around for a year or two (last year - f u manning and currie) under a competent coach he would have a different opinion. It's one of the things that has most upset me over the last 10 years. The harm inaction and hubris has done to the kids put in the care of the athletic department and the university as a whole.

Seems like the prediction of mass transfers among WF's productive players was off, particularly the part about claiming that a bunch would leave if Manning is staying. WF hasn't played a basketball game in almost a month. This is no sign that a coaching change is in the works. 600+ other D-1 basketball have entered the portal; yet, no WF player that saw significant minutes has entered the portal.

At this point, seems like the big issue among the returning players is whether Sarr returns. Again, almost 100 players have made themselves eligible for the NBA draft (many keeping the option to return to college). Sarr hasn't taken that step. Kind of surprised given that at his size and skill and with the international basketball option, he could make good money next year.

Realize that there is still time for movement, but some predicted a Wichita State level (7 players eligible to return have entered the transfer portal) of exodus from W-S. In retrospect, seems more like baseless speculation rather than sauces...

Pretty soon there will be a generation of Deacs without a winning season during their lifetime... :(

I have 4 kids, the eldest of which turns 12 this year. I haven't even bothered to take them to a Wake basketball game.

Connor referred in a later tweet to a member of the Athletic department that was not as available as Manning.

I hope it’s Currie and it’s because he’s finding some Brinks trucks for the buyout.

I hope so, but much more likely that Currie is avoiding the media because he doesn't want to deal with the fan outrage when he gives whatever excuses he says as to why Manning is coming back. His plan, I would bet, is to just not say anything and hope people get distracted by coronavirus.

Seems like the prediction of mass transfers among WF's productive players was off, particularly the part about claiming that a bunch would leave if Manning is staying. WF hasn't played a basketball game in almost a month. This is no sign that a coaching change is in the works. 600+ other D-1 basketball have entered the portal; yet, no WF player that saw significant minutes has entered the portal.

At this point, seems like the big issue among the returning players is whether Sarr returns. Again, almost 100 players have made themselves eligible for the NBA draft (many keeping the option to return to college). Sarr hasn't taken that step. Kind of surprised given that at his size and skill and with the international basketball option, he could make good money next year.

Realize that there is still time for movement, but some predicted a Wichita State level (7 players eligible to return have entered the transfer portal) of exodus from W-S. In retrospect, seems more like baseless speculation rather than sauces...

Who predicted that?

I hope so, but much more likely that Currie is avoiding the media because he doesn't want to deal with the fan outrage when he gives whatever excuses he says as to why Manning is coming back. His plan, I would bet, is to just not say anything and hope people get distracted by coronavirus.

At this point, I think you are probably right. Anything he says, short of saying we couldn't afford to fire him, will be disingenuous. He knows he can't truthfully say why Manning is staying so it is better to keep his mouth shut. The only thing that gives me pause is that Manning admitted that the "year end review" hadn't been completed. It is slightly possible that Currie is holding out as long as he can to see if the economy bounces back quickly enough if/when things get closer to normal.

Who predicted that?

This is the group of returning WF players that people here speculated/claimed would leave if Manning returned:

Sarr
Chaundee (others disputed this)
Neath
Massoud
Ody
Wright
Wynn

That's 7. That's what Wichita State lost. Isiah Mucius (and some claimed he even might leave) was the only regular player who wasn't a routine subject of transfer speculation. Seems like the hope that WF would fire Manning spilled over into baseless speculation about mass departures if Manning stayed.

So who claimed all of them were going to transfer?

I said Sarr would/should leave either way and go pro.

Wright and Wynn were pretty obvious. I figured Chaundee would be a good grad transfer option if he is graduating. I guess the same would be true of Sarr.

I don’t think I ever predicted any of the freshmen would be leaving. I mean, they knew where the program when they joined.

Back