• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Wishful thinking, I think. We actually learned some of the lessons on being prepared for pandemics during the SARS, H1N1 and Ebola out breaks and then quickly forgot them.

i hear ya, but this is in on a totally different scale

my test came back negative and I'm kinda bummed, to be honest

Sorry you don't have coronavirus Juice.

You may actually have it, but not enough of it yet to test positive.

I'm at a Sheetz in Colefax. Downtown Greensboro, 99% of people I see have masks on. At this Sheetz, it's gotta be one in five or worse that have a mask. Huge cultural thing. Bananas.

Sorry you don't have coronavirus Juice.

You may actually have it, but not enough of it yet to test positive.

right

the delay in onset of symptoms and the lag in testing -- plus the presence of false negatives -- makes a negative test kinda meaningless

I'm still supposed to quarantine anyways

i hear ya, but this is in on a totally different scale

my test came back negative and I'm kinda bummed, to be honest

Glad your test was negative.

H1N1 could have been on the same scale, but I guess with it being a flu vaccines were closer at hand than with a completely novel virus. Anyway, I am not optimistic that the US will be forward thinking and prepare for the next one. Wildlife disease ecologists have been warning for decades that virus's will jump from wild animal populations and cause major problems globally for humans. Fuck, HIV is from wild primates in Africa, Ebola is from African bats, and Flu originates in birds...we've been through this before and seem to quickly forget any valuable lessons. I expect our leadership will blame China and the WHO and do nothing to change the way we operate.

last night's coordinated HCQ social media disinformation campaign was impressive

I mean, Dr. Rudy Giuliani himself weighed in!

I'm at a Sheetz in Colefax. Downtown Greensboro, 99% of people I see have masks on. At this Sheetz, it's gotta be one in five or worse that have a mask. Huge cultural thing. Bananas.

Yeah, I saw a similar result in a Wawa in Chester, VA. Urban/less urban seems to be the sharpest divide in terms of mask wearing, in my experience. The downtown Kroger in Richmond has a store security guy that will chase non-mask wearers down.

Yeah, I saw a similar result in a Wawa in Chester, VA. Urban/less urban seems to be the sharpest divide in terms of mask wearing, in my experience. The downtown Kroger in Richmond has a store security guy that will chase non-mask wearers down.

FWIW, Carteret County has been pretty good with masks indoors based on my experience over the past week or so.

I noticed the same thing walking around downtown Columbia versus rural South Carolina.

That is correct. None of the well-designed trials have shown a benefit of hydroxychloroquine.

A guy I know recovered from COVID about two months ago. He posted about the "frontline doctors" and talked about how his doctors gave him hydroxychloroquine and he was grateful. I understand that people who took it and recovered believe they recovered because of it, but that's what the research is for. It's frustrating the people don't get that.

That is correct. None of the well-designed trials have shown a benefit of hydroxychloroquine.

A guy I know recovered from COVID about two months ago. He posted about the "frontline doctors" and talked about how his doctors gave him hydroxychloroquine and he was grateful. I understand that people who took it and recovered believe they recovered because of it, but that's what the research is for. It's frustrating the people don't get that.

Well I asked my cousin about this study, and his responses were:

"There's a reason we don't do much clinical work in Brazil. On the good side, finally, someone did a randomized trial so that the baseline severity was well matched. But it was an open label study, which means both the doctor and patient know what drug they were on. Here are the two that disqualify the study: 1) 50% of patients in all groups were on HQC and/or AZT within 24 hours of starting the study. Think about that, 50% of patients that you randomize were on the drugs before you randomize them. 2) They allowed up to 14 days of symptoms prior to enrollment. The Yale guy and everyone else told us before march that we needed to start treatment within 4 days. This has been further qualified to 24-48.

This is where the Yale doctor is exactly right, many people do/did not want to study the potential of a therapeutic fairly. When you do undisciplined studies and have a bias, it's junk science. But also think about my first point, in second world countries 50% of patients with symptoms are getting these drugs and Americans are not, in a large part because people made it political. The Yale doctor did a nice job of explaining the flaws in many of the early studies in many of the early studies, but did not cover this one. He also mentioned a large share of the patients in developed and developing nations started receiving HQC with AT or doxycycline in MArch. I can only imagine how many tens of thousands of lives could have been spared in the US, if patients and doctors were not deterred from prescribing them. Many of those front line doctors took either or both drugs for months in the hopes they would be protective or prophylactic.

The Yale doctor is right, everyone with a positive COVID test and symptoms and/or risk factors should be offered HQC. If they progress, they should get IV remdesivir.

Well I asked my cousin about this study, and his responses were:

"There's a reason we don't do much clinical work in Brazil. On the good side, finally, someone did a randomized trial so that the baseline severity was well matched. But it was an open label study, which means both the doctor and patient know what drug they were on. Here are the two that disqualify the study: 1) 50% of patients in all groups were on HQC and/or AZT within 24 hours of starting the study. Think about that, 50% of patients that you randomize were on the drugs before you randomize them. 2) They allowed up to 14 days of symptoms prior to enrollment. The Yale guy and everyone else told us before march that we needed to start treatment within 4 days. This has been further qualified to 24-48.

This is where the Yale doctor is exactly right, many people do/did not want to study the potential of a therapeutic fairly. When you do undisciplined studies and have a bias, it's junk science. But also think about my first point, in second world countries 50% of patients with symptoms are getting these drugs and Americans are not, in a large part because people made it political. The Yale doctor did a nice job of explaining the flaws in many of the early studies in many of the early studies, but did not cover this one. He also mentioned a large share of the patients in developed and developing nations started receiving HQC with AT or doxycycline in MArch. I can only imagine how many tens of thousands of lives could have been spared in the US, if patients and doctors were not deterred from prescribing them. Many of those front line doctors took either or both drugs for months in the hopes they would be protective or prophylactic.

The Yale doctor is right, everyone with a positive COVID test and symptoms and/or risk factors should be offered HQC. If they progress, they should get IV remdesivir.

I disagree with a lot of what your cousin said. First off, you don’t randomize to create equal baseline severity, you do it so that there isn’t an unknown factor that disproportionately affects one group more than the other. Second, if hydroxychloroquine worked, we would likely see some signal of benefit in the well-designed studies, and we have not.

Because there has been no benefit seen, a very small, but loud, group has moved the goalposts - well, it needs to be started earlier (first 4 days, first 24 hours, prophylactically, etc) or it needs to be combined with azithromycin or it needs to be combined with azithromycin and zinc, etc.

One of the arguments of the Yale scientist is that the death rate dropped in a region of Brazil around the time they received a shipment of hydroxychloroquine. Obviously a ton of other factors could have influenced that, and actually the death rate also dropped in the US when we greatly decreased our use of hydroxychloroquine.

I posted an article about the quack frontline doctors and a doctor friend of mine responded that she gives hydroxychloroquine to patients from time to time and wondered how it became politicized.

I responded that part of it is simple. Politicians and political actors keep bringing it up. Why is there so much interest in this one drug? Why does it keep resurfacing? Why can’t they just let it go and let doctors prescribe it when they see fit?

because to not mention it means that there is nothing anyone can do other than (gasp) be sensible and wear a mask.

I don't even think Palma's cousin is real, its like a split personality of Palma where Palma is sending emails to himself and then responding to said emails.

my brother's test came back negative despite living and working 24/7 with his infected wife

what a weird disease, man

Back