• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I’m at the outer banks this weekend, staying in a single family cottage. It is truly baffling to see how many people are staying together at the gigantic mini hotels masquerading as cottages. There is a 12 bedroom house a couple doors down that has 7 cars in the driveway that are all third row SUVs. That many people breathing and eating and drinking together in a house for a week cannot be a good thing.

My old school district has one year-round school. It reopened on Monday to a bunch of fanfare. By Thursday they had their first COVID case and by Friday they were closed. The same school district started football practice on Monday and by Thursday had stopped practicing because of two cases.

Any school district in the US that thinks they will be able to conduct in-person classes is fooling themselves. The same goes for private schools - they will be happy to take your tuition money, but they’ll be switching to virtual classes quite quickly.

How far along in the progression do we think the disease is at this point nationally. 4 million confirmed cases is what 20-40 million actual cases so you're like 5-10% of the way through the population at this point? We're probably starting school in spring 2021 because this thing will make its way through the population by then.

Where was that? You’d think it would have made the national news.

My old school district has one year-round school. It reopened on Monday to a bunch of fanfare. By Thursday they had their first COVID case and by Friday they were closed. The same school district started football practice on Monday and by Thursday had stopped practicing because of two cases.

Any school district in the US that thinks they will be able to conduct in-person classes is fooling themselves. The same goes for private schools - they will be happy to take your tuition money, but they’ll be switching to virtual classes quite quickly.

Where?

Went to a coffee shop this morning. An old white guy with a polo came in the wrong way (the doors are clearly marked for entry and exit) without a mask on (also clear signs that masks are required). The staff told him he needs a mask to be inside. He raised a stink but they held firm. I yelled “just wear the mask” at him as I was getting in my car. He shot me a middle finger. Felt good.

Went to a coffee shop this morning. An old white guy with a polo came in the wrong way (the doors are clearly marked for entry and exit) without a mask on (also clear signs that masks are required). The staff told him he needs a mask to be inside. He raised a stink but they held firm. I yelled “just wear the mask” at him as I was getting in my car. He shot me a middle finger. Felt good.

Then everyone clapped.

J/k good job

Nice work, Karen.

I made the mistake of clicking on the Tunnels Coronavirus thread, in which every other post seems to be about Trump. All politics aside, is this thing as big of a deal as the media is making it out to be? It seems like a more contagious, slightly more powerful, but shorter, version of pneumonia. I'm not sure where that ranks on things to be worried about unless you are over 75 or so or have preexisting respiratory problems. That said, if it is more serious than that then we should definitely take it seriously - but it is difficult to know how much of what the media reports is actually concerning. This gives the smell of their typical pending milkwich snowstorm school closings that ends up being 45 degrees and sunny.

This is aging like a fine wine.

Non politically, I wonder if there might be a reason why certain people wouldn’t want to accept this as true.

Added caveat that I have no personal expertise to determine whether it is, but the author seems to have pretty good credentials.

Yeah, all those doctors who aren’t giving it to their patients definitely hate Trump more than they like saving their patients’ lives

Back