• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 NBA Thread - Preseason (and WNBA Finals talk)

something tells me that KAT isn't gonna play with a bunch of anti-vaxxers after what he's gone through

I was thinking as a free agent with old KD and old Harden who will both still be elite.

The NBA has plenty of powerful and legitimate superstars. It also has Ben Simmons.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/09/25/ben-simmons-76ers-trade-demand/

That is a great take down. Player empowerment works to the point of shitty players feeling like they have more power than they should. But I blame the broader NBA landscape for trying to convince people Ben Simmons is an elite player.

That is a great take down. Player empowerment works to the point of shitty players feeling like they have more power than they should. But I blame the broader NBA landscape for trying to convince people Ben Simmons is an elite player.

Broader NBA landscape? #1 draft picks usually are considered elite players

Broader NBA landscape? #1 draft picks usually are considered elite players

If they show it on the court. Simmons is good but he’s never been as elite as people want him to be. As far as #1 picks go, he’s not THAT much better than Wiggins yet it’s generally understood that Wiggins is limited and doesn’t have an all-star profile. There was a huge push to make Simmons out to be something he wasn’t. After the Hawks series, people just stopped pretending. I think that led to less coddling him overall.

If they show it on the court. Simmons is good but he’s never been as elite as people want him to be. As far as #1 picks go, he’s not THAT much better than Wiggins yet it’s generally understood that Wiggins is limited and doesn’t have an all-star profile. There was a huge push to make Simmons out to be something he wasn’t. After the Hawks series, people just stopped pretending. I think that led to less coddling him overall.

he also dated a Jenner

Ph, the guy was named first team all-defensive team and an all-star while being the second best player on the best team in the NBA. He had a bad series. Not even a really bad series, just a bad one. Every time a Doc-coached team blows a playoff series, he throws a mercurial star under the bus (e.g., Paul George, Blake Griffin) and the media/trolls bathe in the narrative all off-season. It doesn't make it particularly accurate.

I understand the urge to pile on (and Simmons certainly isn't doing himself any favors here from a PR perspective), but, c'mon man, the dude more than showed he was an elite NBA player on the court. He is, by literal definition, elite relative to his peers.

I was thinking as a free agent with old KD and old Harden who will both still be elite.

We'll find out on Tuesday whether those guys are vaxxed. Knowing what I do about the guys on the Nets, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if KD, Harden, and Griffin (in addition to Kyrie) are all "vaccine skeptics" in some form or fashion. KAT lost 7 family members, including his mother to COVID.

The Knicks, on the other hand, are 100% vaccinated.

Ph, the guy was named first team all-defensive team and an all-star while being the second best player on the best team in the NBA. He had a bad series. Not even a really bad series, just a bad one. Every time a Doc-coached team blows a playoff series, he throws a mercurial star under the bus (e.g., Paul George, Blake Griffin) and the media/trolls bathe in the narrative all off-season. It doesn't make it particularly accurate.

I understand the urge to pile on (and Simmons certainly isn't doing himself any favors here from a PR perspective), but, c'mon man, the dude more than showed he was an elite NBA player on the court. He is, by literal definition, elite relative to his peers.

That’s the hype I’m talking about. I’ve never thought he was elite. He’s good. He’s just not elite and he has a flawed game. I don’t see why he gets more hype than someone like Kris Middleton who is also a #2 player on a top team.

I don’t think it was simply a bad series. It was a disaster. The Hawks pulled off a quicker rebuild than the Sixers and guys causal fans never heard of outplayed Simmons. It was so bad that the NBA community actually rethought the prevailing narratives about Simmons.

Khris Middleton is also elite FWIW

I mean, it's a disaster, but it's classic Doc. It doesn't say anything about the Sixers, Simmons, Embiid, etc. It's Doc Rivers-in-action. Doc tricked Clippers fans and NBA haters into thinking Paul George was washed, too. Pumped to see if Ben Simmons can back like that in a less shitty locker room (sorry Townie - you'll get to fire him in a couple years, but probably not sooner cuz he'll throw the rest of the team under the bus on his way out first).

Kyrie is skipping Nets media day today due to NYC COVID-19 vaccine requirements.

It's an interesting topic, do you think Ben is good enough that he can be the #2 on your team and your team can win a championship?

BTW Tobias Harris was the second best player on the Sixers for long stretches of last season, he continues to be underrated as a player. He also disappears in the playoffs at times. Same with Danny and Seth, both players who can win you a game but weren't consistent enough as secondary scoring options to take you from contender to champ (I guess Danny has been that before, but he's certainly not now).

I don't think Simmons is irredeemable as a #2 from a talent perspective, but from a chemistry perspective it seems pretty bad

Official 2021 NBA Draft - Training Camp starts Tues/Preseason starts Sunday

Sure. Put him on the Hawks and he’s the close #2 and that’s a championship team.

Townie, have you seen the JJ Redick interview with Thybulle? It’s on YouTube. I saw the clip about Simmons and it was good.

Last edited:

not yet, no

also i think it was FYC or another hornets fan, forget who, but commented on my post about not wanting to ship maxey or thybulle to get a better return for simmons, saying that's a recipe for mediocrity

i thought about that a decent amount since then, and i genuinely think there are certain players you love so much that regardless of how good they are or how well they fit or what they could fetch in return that you'd never want to see them go. i am 100% of the way there with matisse. he led a photography camp in philly last weekend, taking photography enthusiasts around the city to various locations with sixers team photographers and other pros teaching workshops, trying techniques, showing lighting setups, etc. he's a colossal nerd, but i am obsessed. he's such a thoughtful and fun young player, and i really hope he plays his whole career in philly.

I don't think that's just about love. If you have a young elite wing defender on a reasonable contract, why get rid of him? The only "problem" with Thybulle is that it's tough to play him and Simmons together.

Back