• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

That might be the case in January, but right now there is actual interest in the various games.
Wake
ND
UVA

The games have big implications for those 3 fan bases. Given the chance to watch games that affect our seeding I'd be doing that.

This is perfectly valid, but the increased interest from Wake, ND, Miami, UNC, and Duke fans is probably offset by massively decreased interest from all the ACC teams with no real postseason aspirations.

I don't disagree with your original point that scheduling all the games simultaneously is annoying. I just think it's a pretty niche fan that is actually negatively affected by that (that niche fan happens to be a lot of us who care enough about a team in contention to post on this message board).

This was referenced by Stan during the post-game discussion on Saturday. He didn't specifically mention Bally but indicated that quite a few fans reached out to say they were listening to the radio broadcast because they couldn't watch the game on TV.

Anyone know how many years are on the Bally contract? Crazy that they can't negotiate or don't want a contract with the popular streaming services.

Much discussed, Bally/Sinclair bought Fox Sports from ABC which included this contract. There was little problem with it when it was on Fox, but Sinclair want's more money from the providers to carry Bally.

Even if the contract is up, who is buying this block of games? I thought I read somewhere that Bally's had no other bidder. The games would have to be absorbed either into the ESPN/ACCN deal, which limits the number of slots for games or someone like CBS or Fox take them over, when they have deals with other leagues that they get to choose from top games in those leagues.

If the Bally contract goes, I wouldn’t be surprised to see an ESPN+ tier of games.

I will turn on any ACC game that I get at least to see if it’s interesting. Now that I care about basketball again.

This is perfectly valid, but the increased interest from Wake, ND, Miami, UNC, and Duke fans is probably offset by massively decreased interest from all the ACC teams with no real postseason aspirations.

I don't disagree with your original point that scheduling all the games simultaneously is annoying. I just think it's a pretty niche fan that is actually negatively affected by that (that niche fan happens to be a lot of us who care enough about a team in contention to post on this message board).

This is true, the marginal value is probably low. Doesn't explain weeks that we have games stacked in both the early and late slots. And on Saturday's they certainly manage to spread them out all day, for the most part.

The regional sports networks need the programming that these games offer. Most of these regional sports networks that were owned by FOX and are now owned by Bally exist to show 162 baseball games (plus spring training). They really hurt for programming between October to March. College basketball is a perfect fit on the calendar, and it draws enough viewers so those networks can sell ad time for Tac Sunglasses and ED Meds.

And, as discussed earlier, there are MLB, NBA and NHL fanbases that can't get their home team's games.

If ESPN had wanted these games, they probably would have them. I don't think we've seen the dook/NC, UVA/dook type of games showing up on Bally's.

And just remember ESPN has locked up the national contract on cornhole so Bally's can't fill with those.

Wow - that clip is heartbreaking. Sorry dude - but life's a bitch sometimes ...

Dan Hurley just got T'd up on a pretty suspect decision and then after calming down he was thrown out for telling the crowd to make some noise. Absurd officiating in what has been a great game.

giphy.gif

Miami-Pitt: nothing to see here. Or Iowa-Mich St. for that matter.

ETA: good thing there are 5 ACC games tomorrow night. No need for options tonight.

Last edited:
I disagree. I've been there. One thing guys always say they miss is the comradery of a team. That is a guy who realizes he won't have that again.

If his answer would have been closer to that thought, e.g "my guys" or "team mates" the clip wouldn't have gotten so much notoriety.

Supposedly Lundardi moved us to the 10 seed. FWIW.

Glad we've pushed all the current threads off the front page.

The computers/KP are pissing me off this year. They usually love the Badgers, but absolutely hate them this year for some reason (I assume it just comes down to winning close games). Sitting at 25th right now in KP with 7 quad 1 wins (as many as anyone in the country), a 22-5 record against what KP has as the 12th toughest SOS in the country. They've beaten Houston (6 in KP, neutral), Purdue (13, away), Iowa (15, home), Oh. St. (21, home), St. Mary's (22, away) -- all of which are ahead of them in KP.

Thankfully, most of the bracket projections have them as a 3-4.

Back