• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

Last night sucked. Was following the Wake score while at JPJ. God I hate Duke. And the whole of this team doesn't add up to the sum of its parts. They should regularly crush UVA. Their bigs are too athletic for UVA's bigs. And you put Banchero on Gardner, and he has 4" on Gardner making it extremely difficult to shoot over him. Then just stay in the faces of the guards. Then whoever Stattman is guarding, you take him off the dribble. And you don't have to double anyone. Easy, right? Ratface had to call 3 TOs to yell at his players for leaving the UVA guards wide open from 3. The body of Kihea Clark was taken over by the ghost of Richard Morgan for a half. They just kept giving him open 3s and let UVA stay in the game until the final second. I don't think this Duke squad has a ton of heart, and I stand by my prediction that they don't survive the 1st weekend of the dance. That said, I think Ratface outcoached Tony in the 2nd half. First, Tony kept Franklin out too long in the 2nd half with 3 fouls. You're going up against a superior team with much better talent. They were regularly abusing Stattman and Caffaro - and started Caffaro who was woeful against Duke's bigs. And you're playing 4 on 5 with Stattman in the game. Then K started doing O for D subs with > 3:00 left, and he was getting mismatches on the offensive end. Griffin, who had 3 points for the first 36:00, got 10 in the last 4:00 because Tony first had Shedrick on him, then Stattman and finally made the correct adjustment with 1:00 left by putting Shedrick on Banchero and Gardner on Griffin. But it was too little too late. Stick a fork in UVA, but I just don't see Duke doing a lot of damage in the tourney.

#4 in ACC tourney is not lost yet.

We need to beat Louisville and State.

Need Tarholes to lose 2. I think it is possible with Dook and Cuse remaining for them.

I hate relying on other teams.

WF’s first opponent this year, William and Mary, lost to Northeastern tonight 62-28. Yes, WM scored a total of 28 points in 40 minutes of basketball with a 30 second shot clock

WF’s first opponent this year, William and Mary, lost to Northeastern tonight 62-28. Yes, WM scored a total of 28 points in 40 minutes of basketball with a 30 second shot clock

My other alma mater. They're 1 of only a few DI hoops schools who have still yet to make the NCAA tourney. Wake played at W&M while I was there so I went to the game. Chris King had a break away at 1 point and just finger rolled it in. A kid behind me screamed, "God damn it King, dunk on us. At least when Duke came here last year, they had the decency to dunk on us." Kinda summed up athletics at W&M.

Kentucky C Oscar Tshiebwe is on the short list of favorites to win the Naismith Award for college basketball POY this season. As a 22 year-old junior with such accolades, it would seem obvious that Tshiebwe is headed to pro basketball next year, but apparently not. In light of the new NIL rules, Oscar's "agent" apparently has a mult-million dollar NIL offer in hand if Tshiebwe returns to Big Blue. Given that Oscar is a projected second round pick in the NBA draft (2nd round picks get limited guaranteed deals at best), it appears that money may keep Tshiebwe in Lexington for another year. Didn't take long for college athletes in football and basketball to go from being "exploited" to getting better financial deals to play for their college team than to play professionally: https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/oscar-tshiebwe-could-earn-multimillion-dollar-nil-deal-with-return-to-uk/

Last edited:
Kentucky C Oscar Tshiebwe is on the short list of favorites to win the Naismith Award for college basketball POY this season. As a 22 year-old junior with such accolades, it would seem obvious that Tshiebwe is headed to pro basketball next year, but apparently not. In light of the new NIL rules, Oscar's "agent" apparently has a mult-million dollar NIL offer in hand if Tshiebwe returns to Big Blue. Given that Oscar is a projected second round pick in the NBA draft (2nd round picks get limited guaranteed deals at best), it appears that money may keep Tshiebwe in Lexington for another year. Didn't take long for college athletes in football and basketball to go from being "exploited" to getting better financial deals to play for their college team than to play professionally: https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/oscar-tshiebwe-could-earn-multimillion-dollar-nil-deal-with-return-to-uk/

Hopefully we can get something attractive like this set up for LaRavia.

Not saying anything about any individuals, but I wonder if these sorts of deals are going to lead to (even more) academic fraud to keep these players eligible.

Shades of the 50's and 60's when the story was players weren't leaving certain schools for professional sports because "they didn't want to take the pay cut."

But he was successful at UNC-W. He started out strong at NCSU and been in decline ever since. Is it recruiting or strategy?

But he was successful at UNC-W. He started out strong at NCSU and been in decline ever since. Is it recruiting or strategy?

Maybe both? COVID came up a few times but then you look at Wake and what Forbes has done in 1 year.

I think it's worth noting that in this case, Tshiebwe just doesn't have the kind of skill set that makes the first round very likely for him. He's an undersized center who isn't particularly agile and can't shoot (yet). This seems like a situation where returning to college works for both parties, and it's cool that in 2022 you can get paid to do so!

It's both. Keatts system worked well at UNCW because he was able to recruit better athletes than most of the other teams in the Colonial Athletic Conference. So, the trapping pressure defense was very effective at the level. In the ACC, State recruits, at best, at the middle of the conference level, and ACC level players are much better at exploiting that defense (also the coaches have learned to prepare for it, after facing it year after year). Also, to be fair to Keatts, the loss of Manny Bates in the first minute of the first game was devastating for State. He may have been the best shot blocker in the conference, and they had no one else on the roster that could defend the paint. So, if you beat the trap, you are getting a layup against the Pack. Even when State had better players under Keatts, it seemed like the players tune him out as the season goes on (their power rating regressed almost every year). Keatts is a yeller, and that act wears thin after awhile. That program is trending into the abyss. That said, would love to see NC State play the game of their season on Saturday against UNC.

Not saying anything about any individuals, but I wonder if these sorts of deals are going to lead to (even more) academic fraud to keep these players eligible.

LOL. I'm sure that will never happen. Perish the thought.

VT/Miami - I think if VT wins this they'll be 8-1 in last 9.

VT pulls it out when they were down 4 with less than 30 sec left. They are rolling.

And that's a Quad 1 win, I believe.

Rolling is a bit strong, beat up on the weaklings of the conference and just got dusted at home by UNC a week ago.

But a big swing in the standings, looking like Miami the most likely foe in the 4/5 now if we can win out

Back