• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: WF plays the most under-performing program - Duke Wed. 7 pm ACCN

So what if we take JUCO’s? Who has a problem with that? I don’t see people criticizing that (now that Wellman - Mr Culture - is gone.)

The issue with directly taking JuCo grads is Wake academic side not accepting the majority of credits earned by JuCo students. Thus JuCo students who transfer to Wake after completing two years at JuCo find that their credits are not accepted and they are academically ineligible. .

Players like Manman, who come to Wake as grad students, don't gave their undergrad credits Subject to individual review. The institution granting the bachelor's degree is considered to have properly vetted any credits transferred to that institution.

As long as the bachelor's degree granting institution is properly accredited, Wake accepts their degree.

The issue with directly taking JuCo grads is Wake academic side not accepting the majority of credits earned by JuCo students. Thus JuCo students who transfer to Wake after completing two years at JuCo find that their credits are not accepted and they are academically ineligible. .

Players like Manman, who come to Wake as grad students, don't gave their undergrad credits Subject to individual review. The institution granting the bachelor's degree is considered to have properly vetted any credits transferred to that institution.

As long as the bachelor's degree granting institution is properly accredited, Wake accepts their degree.

I understand that. I was responding to DR’s suggestion that Wake fans don’t like to admit we take JUCO’s while, at the same time, hinting that they are unworthy (for which he offers Williams’ interview as evidence.) My real point is that we’re not all pompous a-holes.

I understand that. I was responding to DR’s suggestion that Wake fans don’t like to admit we take JUCO’s while, at the same time, hinting that they are unworthy (for which he offers Williams’ interview as evidence.) My real point is that we’re not all pompous a-holes.

Wake used to take JuCos as about 10% of incoming students each fall. Apparently no more.

Clemson has been to the Sweet 16 and the ACC Championship game since we have. They also have been to more NCAA tournaments than us the last 20. Way more.

And the last 30 years before that the schools are fairly similar in NCAA appearences and sweet 16.

Clemson basketball is horrific historically. They are commiserate with us over the last 50 years and way better the last 15.

The only P5 schools that are arguably as bad as us historically are Northwestern, Oregon State, & Ole Miss.

"commiserate?"

Last edited:
Alondes Williams played two years of JUCO basketball. It’s ok, you can say it out loud Wake alums. Isn’t it great he did? Just because he then went to Oklahoma or toured Paris or Rome doesn’t make him any less of a former JUCO player.

Let’s get 6 of them next year. If 1 turns out like him, it was well worth it.

But No, Wake alums, you can’t pretend we don’t take JUCO players. He’s a JUCO player. Own it. It’ll be ok.

Nobody here has expressed any issue with a grad transfer student that previously attended a JUCO, except you.

Can you explain your comment about his interviews?

DR was a big Trumper/MAGAt until Jan 6. He’s familiar with dog whistles. Man man is every bit as intelligent and articulate as Harry Giles, who not only doesn’t have a college degree, but didn’t graduate from high school. Kevin Strickland has long sold cars for a living with his Duke degree. So fuck that typical Duke condescension. If DR doesn’t like our losing hoops tradition, fat (really just a taller version of DR without red hair) JUCO coach, our tractor pull arena and our dumb JUCO players, why does he lower himself to attend the games and call himself a WF fan?

I assume you are talking about Alondes Williams? He transferred to Wake after two years at Oklahoma. Can you explain your comment about his interviews?

Is anyone else totally embarrassed when DR says “We?” Not very subtle in his elitism is he?
Just pull his card and send him on to Ohio.

I love JUCO players. And grad transfers. No judgment at all about them. Put the best players on the floor. Duke isnt doing things any different than we are on the academic side. In this era, that’s what this is. This isn’t about student athletes.

Pilchards original post says we do it differently than Duke when it comes to “student” athletes. That’s not accurate. We will now take anyone at anytime who can play basketball. And it’s the smartest thing we have done in a long time when it comes to mens basketball success.

Will that be enough? Of course not. We have to do everything Duke, Gonzaga, Villanova are doing to have a real chance to to win over an extended time. That’s the formula for small, private schools to win and build a lasting successful program. Proper stadium, dynamic coach, basketball priority over other sports.

As for Alondes, I have no clue what his academics grades were in JUCO nor what classes he is in now. Call me judgmental if you wish, but my prediction is that a kid with 2 years at JUCO & 2 years at OU and a degree didn’t exactly choose Wake Forest for it’s one year highly technical grad program. If I’m wrong about that with Alondes and he is getting some other real degree that we offer at Wake & that is the main reason he is here, then I’m wrong. He sure picked the perfect fit for his basketball career given the playing time and ACC exposure we had available—which was a really smart thing to do at this point & clearly will net him millions now.

DR was a big Trumper/MAGAt until Jan 6. He’s familiar with dog whistles. Man man is every bit as intelligent and articulate as Harry Giles, who not only doesn’t have a college degree, but didn’t graduate from high school. Kevin Strickland has long sold cars for a living with his Duke degree. So fuck that typical Duke condescension. If DR doesn’t like our losing hoops tradition, fat (really just a taller version of DR without red hair) JUCO coach, our tractor pull arena and our dumb JUCO players, why does he lower himself to attend the games and call himself a WF fan?

Oh yea cause we weren’t interested in Harry Giles at all. Only duke would recruit a kid like that. Get real.

And you are dead wrong about my politics and who I voted for. Hell I’m a registered Democrat. But why let truth get in the way of attacking the guy you want out? I’m going nowhere. I want Wake Forest basketball to succeed. In order to do that, someone has to be honest and admit we have not be good stewards of this program and why. Until others do so, there will be no opportunity to make the wholesale changes we need for sustained success.

Oh yea cause we weren’t interested in Harry Giles at all. Only duke would recruit a kid like that. Get real.

And you are dead wrong about my politics and who I voted for. Hell I’m a registered Democrat. But why let truth get in the way of attacking the guy you want out? I’m going nowhere. I want Wake Forest basketball to succeed. In order to do that, someone has to be honest and admit we have not be good stewards of this program and why. Until others do so, there will be no opportunity to make the wholesale changes we need for sustained success.

Ron Wellman is gone dude. Get on board the Currie/Forbes bus and quit ya bitching about old news and his bad hires. You are not cheering for this year’s success, just rehashing your same tired arguments with yourself. Too pathetic to pity.

Come on, DR. You were a part of the largest crowd in history for Trump’s inauguration. You were on that Trump train for at least 3 years. At least you finally saw the light.

I love JUCO players. And grad transfers. No judgment at all about them. Put the best players on the floor. Duke isnt doing things any different than we are on the academic side. In this era, that’s what this is. This isn’t about student athletes.

Pilchards original post says we do it differently than Duke when it comes to “student” athletes. That’s not accurate. We will now take anyone at anytime who can play basketball. And it’s the smartest thing we have done in a long time when it comes to mens basketball success.

Will that be enough? Of course not. We have to do everything Duke, Gonzaga, Villanova are doing to have a real chance to to win over an extended time. That’s the formula for small, private schools to win and build a lasting successful program. Proper stadium, dynamic coach, basketball priority over other sports.

As for Alondes, I have no clue what his academics grades were in JUCO nor what classes he is in now. Call me judgmental if you wish, but my prediction is that a kid with 2 years at JUCO & 2 years at OU and a degree didn’t exactly choose Wake Forest for it’s one year highly technical grad program. If I’m wrong about that with Alondes and he is getting some other real degree that we offer at Wake & that is the main reason he is here, then I’m wrong. He sure picked the perfect fit for his basketball career given the playing time and ACC exposure we had available—which was a really smart thing to do at this point & clearly will net him millions now.

DR, you have missed the point completely and soundly defeated a bunch of strawmen with your counter-arguments. The point wasn't that our student-athletes are so much better than theirs - the point was that the media continually treats Duke as if they are some bastion of academics, when they are not. As you point out, they do everything they can to win - academics be damned. But if you listened to the media you would think that all their athletes are Rhodes Scholars.

On the performance side, no one made any kind of argument that our program was any good or in any way comparable to theirs - yet you went off denigrating our performance in recent years, as if we all were unaware that we have sucked for a while now. Again, the point being made was a different one - that, despite how strong their program has been, over the past decade or so their actual performance has lagged their expected performance (measured by quality of recruiting class) by a mile. And everyone knows that recruiting rankings are an inexact science so some variability should be expected - but, under-performance to that degree over that many years is surprising. Point being - if K is such a great coach (motivator, Xs and Os, etc.), you would think their performance would be more closely aligned with their talent level.

Hey did you guys know our basketball arena is too big......:couch:

I hope dr and I live long enough for Wake and/or Winston to build a new arena in the ordinary course of events. Will be hilarious to read all the "They finally got smart and listened to me" posts.

JJ Redick was a McD AA game MVP, 2 time ACC POY, NPOY, considered the greatest college shooter of all time. He was a journeyman shooter who started just over half his games and averaged 12.8 ppg. I wouldn’t say he overachieved.

Definitely didn't overachieve based on his college career. For a dook player he overachieved because he didn't give up like most of them when the 'mystic' of dook basketball doesn't follow them to the NBA. Maybe that's why the ones that leave earlier have tended to have the most NBA success, they haven't been coddled by refs for 4 years only to find out NBA refs don't give a crap if you went to dook. Also grown men who are competing just to stay in the league only care if what you do helps keep them in league, again they don't care if you were ACC POY, these guys have to play hard to stay in the league, whereas dook players are used to just being on a highly ranked team where there are others that can step up.

That’s probably the best theory for Duke failures in the league.

Donald Ross can you please just STFU, everything you say is dumb and annoying.

Back