• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

If you guys want to hold out false hope, go for it. All we have is a semi feel good story going for us. POY/COY. Big turnaround. But we don't have the Q1 wins necessary to make the field. It's that simple. If we get in, which we won't, it would be because someone flat out just wanted Wake in versus a team with better resume.

#1 Bracketologist over the last 3 years just posted an update:

Bubble Watch
Last Four Byes: Miami, Michigan, Wyoming, Notre Dame
Last Four In: Rutgers, SMU, Indiana, Xavier
First Four Out: Wake Forest, VCU, Oklahoma, Dayton
Next Four Out: BYU, Virginia Tech, UAB, Texas A&M

Note: he posted this before the North Texas loss and the aTm win

also note - say what you will about Xavier, but right below us (according to consensus) are VCU and Dayton, and if they both win today, at least one of them will vault above us (because they then play each other). That team will also then be one win away from a bid-stealing autobid.

What is the team doing right now? Are we practicing? From the little I know about Forbes it seems like he would want to move past that game as quick as possible. I can’t believe this is how this great season is going to end….

If you guys want to hold out false hope, go for it. All we have is a semi feel good story going for us. POY/COY. Big turnaround. But we don't have the Q1 wins necessary to make the field. It's that simple. If we get in, which we won't, it would be because someone flat out just wanted Wake in versus a team with better resume.

Unfortunately this is more or less right. The only real hope we have is that SMU and Wyoming lose tonight in a way that hurts their metrics and we somehow get compared to the two of them for the last spot or two. They also largely lack wins and could maybe be behind us on all the metrics as well. Pretty much all the power conference teams have a better collection of wins.

What is the team doing right now? Are we practicing? From the little I know about Forbes it seems like he would want to move past that game as quick as possible. I can’t believe this is how this great season is going to end….

Good question. Whatever happens, this team will have played one game in about 2 weeks.

Feasting on some steak. Where have you been?

I am losing interest in the NCAA tourney by the minute.
I find it total BS that 4 days of games are more important than the entire season.

Go Friars and Coach Battle. I know why he did not want the job but he would have been a better HC than Dino for WFU.

I have a source who is connected to the selection committee. She/he says there is a lot of Wake discussion.

I find it total BS that 4 days of games are more important than the entire season.

Go Friars and Coach Battle. I know why he did not want the job but he would have been a better HC than Dino for WFU.

I'm with you that it sucks ending this way after an exciting season, but if we were "next 4 out" or something like that going into the ACCT, we would want an opportunity to win a few to get off the bubble. It's the way it always has been, and always will be.

We have two Q1 wins -- the only teams Lunardi currently has behind us or in the First Four that have four+ Q1 wins are Xavier (2-8 in their last 10), BYU (who has a Q4 loss) and Oklahoma who has had an insane amount of opportunities in the Big 12, and who I highly doubt is a bubble candidate without a win over Texas Tech tonight.

So we are not talking about a large difference. When the margin is so small obviously other factors come into play, including our higher ranking in the metrics than many of these teams.

I still wouldn't be at all surprised if we got left out -- I've been saying that all along, including before the BC game. To say that we have a 0% chance however is not realistic given who we're competing against

I'm with you that it sucks ending this way after an exciting season, but if we were "next 4 out" or something like that going into the ACCT, we would want an opportunity to win a few to get off the bubble. It's the way it always has been, and always will be.

and it is that way largely because the ACC led the way with the concept of the conference tournament champ being the champion

What makes you say the 4 days is more important bit? It's part of the season and counts towards the whole resume, but the games aren't necessarily more important (recency bias probably does play a little role in human decision making if we are being honest).

I've officially talked myself back into thinking Wake still has a legit chance. Just need to have about ten games go right the next couple days...

What makes you say the 4 days is more important bit? It's part of the season and counts towards the whole resume, but the games aren't necessarily more important (recency bias probably does play a little role in human decision making if we are being honest).

This. Regardless of the "4 days" we lost to Clemson and BC within two weeks of each other.

Back