• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

With some of these top teams losing in their conference tourneys we could move up to a 7 seed.

Also pretty hilarious the level of freakout to one upset loss to a BC team that almost beat Miami yesterday. Mentioning Forbes and Manning in the same post???? Writing off the rest of the massive improvement this season???

Grow some brain cells, folks

That loss didn't happen in a vacuum. It's just another in a long list of post-season disappointments. I'd argue big game disappointments. This season saw us competing for 2 bye seeding in the ACC, most conferences wins, biggest ACC turnaround. In those ways it definitely was ahead of any schedule I had in mind for the year. But agree with Ph and others that it doesn't matter much if we aren't building toward anything. And it appears even a brand new coach and set of transfer players can't get past our post season woes. So what BC almost beat Miami. They didn't. BC showed up to play and we didn't. That is the Wake Forest tournament way. That is why people are fed up.

Unpopular opinion but with all the accolades of the football team the ACC Championship was an embarrassment. Both of our COYs failed to prepare our teams to be competitive in big post season games. That is what everyone thinks about when they think of Wake.

If by grace we get to Dayton that would perhaps be the best outcome. We just need to get out of the gate. This team has huge upside. Wednesday is inexplicable and inexcusable.

Forbes needs to take a hard look in the mirror. COY POY blah blah blah Peter Lugers celebrating BEFORE the fucking tournament and get beaten by a 13 seed. No excuse. This is pure coaching and clearly from the opening tip the team was lost WTF? Major face plant.

Our SRs choked, choked. Missing free throws.

As for being on schedule etc. nonsense. College basketball is now a jump ball every year. Look at UNC now. This team had a real chance to be special, and put their fate in the hands of bureaucrats.

If we get a reprieve then this should be the most hyper motivated and aggressive team in the tournament.

ESPN thinks North Texas has a shot at an at-large, they just lost in the C-USA semis.

I can't see them getting in over us unless the committee just decides to punish us because of our OOC SOS. Their only good win was @ UAB, they lost all their other chances to make a legit impression

We just needed a couple things to go our way. Indiana to not have come back down by 17 yesterday and A&M to have lost today. In addition to that, if VPI loses tonight that would cement us in the last 4 in. None of it happened, and we are done. It's not about getting hopes up...It's the reality of it. Our resume is inferior to teams that are leap frogging us.

Some of this is just tragic comedy. Based on the two big results, Lunardi flips us under Xavier as the last team in. I know it won't matter but you can't help feeling like people are messing with us. He went from:

Wyoming
Wake
X
Indiana

To now

Wyoming
Indiana
X
Wake

Just illogical.

ESPN thinks North Texas has a shot at an at-large, they just lost in the C-USA semis.

they do

North Texas is 6-4 against Quad 1+2 combined
Wake Forest is 5-7 against Quad 1+2 combined

Thanks Mean Joe!

We just needed a couple things to go our way. Indiana to not have come back down by 17 yesterday and A&M to have lost today. In addition to that, if VPI loses tonight that would cement us in the last 4 in. None of it happened, and we are done. It's not about getting hopes up...It's the reality of it. Our resume is inferior to teams that are leap frogging us.

A&M and VT having better resumes than us is at best debatable. OK, they both picked up decent wins last night/today, but before that they didn't have realistic at-large cases and were behind us in every bracketologist's mind.

It's a 30-game season, you're overrating the impact one conference tournament game has

feel the need to post an updated SWAG:

Notable competition:

Consensus Safe:
TCU
San Francisco
Memphis
Creighton

Consensus Last 4 Byes:
Michigan - season over; lost to IU
Miami - plays Duke tonight
Notre Dame - season over; lost to VT
Wyoming - plays tonight MWC semis vs. Boise (other 3 semifinalists in MWC are by consensus in)

Consensus Dayton-Bound:
Indiana - vs. Iowa-Rutgers winner, B1G semis, Saturday (2 huge B1G tournament wins)
Wake Forest
Xavier - season over; lost to Butler
Rutgers - B1G quarters 2:00 vs. Iowa

Next 7, in no particular order:
North Texas - Regular-season CUSA champ
SMU - AAC quarters 7:00 vs. Tulsa
VCU - A10 quarters, Richmond, 8:30
VT - ACC semis, UNC, tonight
Texas A&M - vs. LSU-Arkansas winner, SEC semis, Saturday
Dayton - A10 quarters, UMass, 6:00 pm
Oklahoma - Big XII semis, Texas Tech, 9:30

note: if VCU and Dayton both win tonight, they play in the A10 semis and one will reach the championship. Davidson is probably a lock from the A10

Some of this is just tragic comedy. Based on the two big results, Lunardi flips us under Xavier as the last team in. I know it won't matter but you can't help feeling like people are messing with us. He went from:

Wyoming
Wake
X
Indiana

To now

Wyoming
Indiana
X
Wake

Just illogical.

Wake blew their chance of sealing an at-large bid, but I will be shocked if Xavier gets in and Wake doesn't.

A&M and VT having better resumes than us is at best debatable. OK, they both picked up decent wins last night/today, but before that they didn't have realistic at-large cases and were behind us in every bracketologist's mind.

It's a 30-game season, you're overrating the impact one conference tournament game has

yeah, I don't think those teams are necessarily ahead of us yet. could go either way. As I have stated elsewhere, it is possible we are out right now, depending on how the committee views our NCSOS. But as of right now we still have an argument for Dayton.

If VT wins tonight it's hard to find a rationale for them being behind us

North Texas is ahead of us in NET and close to us in KP. It's not like they are in the 60's. We can just add them to games going against us.

Notre Dame can't be feeling great seeing A&M and Indiana win today, two teams that beat ND earlier this year.

If it comes down to Wake or ND, which counts more? Wake winning head to head a couple weeks ago or ND beating Kentucky three months ago?

That loss didn't happen in a vacuum. It's just another in a long list of post-season disappointments. I'd argue big game disappointments. This season saw us competing for 2 bye seeding in the ACC, most conferences wins, biggest ACC turnaround. In those ways it definitely was ahead of any schedule I had in mind for the year. But agree with Ph and others that it doesn't matter much if we aren't building toward anything. And it appears even a brand new coach and set of transfer players can't get past our post season woes. So what BC almost beat Miami. They didn't. BC showed up to play and we didn't. That is the Wake Forest tournament way. That is why people are fed up.

Unpopular opinion but with all the accolades of the football team the ACC Championship was an embarrassment. Both of our COYs failed to prepare our teams to be competitive in big post season games. That is what everyone thinks about when they think of Wake.

Too much myopia. Trust me, no one of a right mind looks at Wake football winning 11 games and their main takeaway from the season is that we sucked in the ACCCG.

We do play opponents, and that opponent was better, Heisman candidate QB, better players and all.

Hiring Forbes seems like a pretty clear break from the Wake Forest way. To have one disappointment in one 40-minute game and then say "nothing has changed" isn't logical. Which I get on some level, we're fans, but I do wish some you would apply at least a little bit of critical thinking

I don't think VT gets in unless they win tonight.

Can anyone compile a single list of games that went against our bubble chances the last few days? This shit is unreal.

After our loss, we got one good result with X blowing their lead right after us. Since then, teams I've rooted for are something like 2-17 (not counting tossups either side), with less meaningful games involving fringe teams UVA and St John's losing the 2 that went our way.

VT buzzer beater over Clemson
UVA by 1 over Ville
Seton Hall came back against Georgetown

Thursday
Indiana over Michigan (FML)
A&M over Florida (was a tossup I guess)
TCU over Texas
St Louis over LaSalle to stay alive
Miami over BC
Creighton over Marquette
Boise St over Nevada
Tulsa over Wichita (less likely SMU loses today)
Colorado over Oregon (tossup, not likely meaningful)
Wyoming over UNLV
Mississippi St over S Carolina
Michigan St over Maryland
Oklahoma over Baylor (ouch)
Villanova over St John's (one less meaningful one kind of went our way!)
VT over ND
UNC over UVA (Probably good)

Today
Indiana again (Really bad)
A&M over Auburn (lol, why not)
La Tech over NT (throw another team in the mix)

Aren’t the one seeds in the NIT just the first four teams to miss the field? That would have to be a certainty if true. Lunardi has Wake as last team in at this moment, but don’t agree being behind Xavier. His comment was IU cemented their spot leaving only Xavier & Wake’s spots up for grabs. I’m not buying Notre Dame, Michigan, Wyoming and Xavier being listed over WF.
All year you hear about the metric rankings and now a collection of teams 20 spots behind Wake all get in first. Yuck

Back