• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

Still waiting on Jerry Smith so that we can hopefully schedule all 4 of them for the same weekend.

Good move because Deman said on the premium boards that Jerry Smith is a super secret verbal.

I think Miami showed last year you can be effective with a smaller, guard-oriented line-up. Not that they didn't have bigs they could put in, but they ran a lot of small ball offense. That said, McGusty/Moore/Miller/Wong were pretty good players and I am not saying that our guards will be of the same caliber (but I hope so and won't rule it out). But it can be done.

Miami's guards weren't that small, though. Plus Wong is elite...he could get his shot off from anywhere on the floor and is very athletic/capable of taking it inside against a big.

Good move because Deman said on the premium boards that Jerry Smith is a super secret verbal.

Yea, true. Plus we always have Wayne Ellington as a reasonable, realistic fallback option if for whatever reason Deman's wrong.

arguably our best team frequently played three small guards and got its assed whooped by another team playing three small guards. granted that was almost twenty years ago. but more recent, baylor won it all last year primarily playing a lineup with four small guards.

im sure there are other examples but i don’t watch college bball outside of wake. it’s not ideal for obvious reasons but it’s doable.

arguably our best team frequently played three small guards and got its assed whooped by another team playing three small guards. granted that was almost twenty years ago. but more recent, baylor won it all last year primarily playing a lineup with four small guards.

im sure there are other examples but i don’t watch college bball outside of wake. it’s not ideal for obvious reasons but it’s doable.

Baylor played (height/weight from Kenpom)

Mitchell 6-2, 205, consensus third-team All-American, NABC and Naismith NCAA Defensive Player of the Year, NBA draft pick
Butler 6-3, 195, consensus first-team All-American, NBA lottery pick
Teague 6-4, 195
Vital 6-5, 250; split time with Mayer, 6-9, 225

that is not a lineup of 4 small guards (in the context of WF rolling out three 6-1 guys, two of whom are listed at 163 and 180), and their awards seem relevant

in fact, all four of those "small" guards essentially spent the 2020-21 season beating up guys like Appleby and Williamson

I'm happy for the signings, and waiting for a couple of bigs to roll in.

The transfer guy from South Dakota who had Wake listed in his Top 10 ultimately chose Creighton. Baylor Shierface? I bet he'll go pro and just giving his hometown Creighton some shine.

Guys, Coach is not going to play 3 of them together very much if ever at all. Give it a rest.

There's nothing wrong with position designations.

For instance, last year we needed a point guard.

Our guards were not interchangeable and the 2 SG (davien and alondes) did a good, but not great job of getting the ball up the court. Way too many bad turnovers.

He'll, even Laravia started bringing it up. But not real well.

Plus that's just a visual and for fun. Everyone understands we can go big or go small etc.

Baylor played (height/weight from Kenpom)

Mitchell 6-2, 205, consensus third-team All-American, NABC and Naismith NCAA Defensive Player of the Year, NBA draft pick
Butler 6-3, 195, consensus first-team All-American, NBA lottery pick
Teague 6-4, 195
Vital 6-5, 250; split time with Mayer, 6-9, 225

that is not a lineup of 4 small guards (in the context of WF rolling out three 6-1 guys, two of whom are listed at 163 and 180), and their awards seem relevant

in fact, all four of those "small" guards essentially spent the 2020-21 season beating up guys like Appleby and Williamson

I'm happy for the signings, and waiting for a couple of bigs to roll in.

Yeah, those guys were all built like linebackers, shot lights out, and played elite offense and team defense. Mitchell especially was ridiculous and had quicks taking it to the hole that you just don't see often in CBB.

Carr seems like a stretch 5 and solid long term replacement for Walton and Sy.

Dom Welch is 6-5, 205, 4-year starter, very high minutes, grad transfer, one year eligibility, 12 point, 6 reb, 2 assist

Last edited:
He's a big (6-5) guard, in the portal and also NBA draft. Would be a grad transfer. Shot threes well (37%) but not much else. Only 1/3 attempts were from 2 in his career. Didn't get to the line much (about 1 per game). Good rebounder for a guard (6 per game). 1:1 A/TO ratio.

Austin Arians 2.0 as a high side?

Back