• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Tim Ream is an awful footballer. End of.

He was player of the year for Fulham in its promotion season. I don't know if he's better or worse than Long or Zimmerman or Miazga at center back but I do know he's an awful choice for left back.

there has not been a worse footballer to play for the USMNT than Tim Ream since the early 90s

he is fucking abysmal. nothing he does is impressive in the slightest

This is a good argument.

Leader in the clubhouse has to be Jonathan Bornstein, right? Other names that come to mind: Conor Casey, Ricardo Clark, Robbie Findley, Brian Ching? (lol)

This is a good argument.

Leader in the clubhouse has to be Jonathan Bornstein, right? Other names that come to mind: Conor Casey, Ricardo Clark, Robbie Findley, Brian Ching? (lol)

Curious why Wondo doesn't make this list. He was good at scoring goals against Guatemala, Cuba and Belize at least!

Curious why Wondo doesn't make this list. He was good at scoring goals against Guatemala, Cuba and Belize at least!

I mean yeah, pretty much. I don't count him as top 5 or even top 10 on the WOAT so he wasn't worth listing

This is a good argument.

This list is probably fair* if we're talking about guys that made world cup teams or played in qualifiers. Sadly, there have been numerous guys who were far worse that earned caps in friendlies over the years.

*Bornstein actually played well in the 2010 world cup (no question he was crap before, and crap after).

Scotland was up 3-0 and gave up 3 goals in like 10 minutes to tie 3-3. They would have advanced with the win. Never pulled back, kept attacking up 3-0 and 3-1. Scottish manager pulled a Panama Twins level epic fuck up.

BTW, I saw the Panamanian Twins were back on the bench for the Gold Cup.

Scotland was up 3-0 and gave up 3 goals in like 10 minutes to tie 3-3. They would have advanced with the win. Never pulled back, kept attacking up 3-0 and 3-1. Scottish manager pulled a Panama Twins level epic fuck up.

BTW, I saw the Panamanian Twins were back on the bench for the Gold Cup.

Scotland should have never given up that lead but what a horrible bit of officiating at the end. Official restarted play before Scotland's sub had even entered the pitch leading to the penalty. The penalty retake was comical as well. The keeper was maybe an inch or two off the line, which happens nearly every penalty. Then just 5 minutes extra time after at least that long spent just reviewing VAR that half. Not sure why they've struggled so much with VAR for the women's WC.

Scotland should have never given up that lead but what a horrible bit of officiating at the end. Official restarted play before Scotland's sub had even entered the pitch leading to the penalty. The penalty retake was comical as well. The keeper was maybe an inch or two off the line, which happens nearly every penalty. Then just 5 minutes extra time after at least that long spent just reviewing VAR that half. Not sure why they've struggled so much with VAR for the women's WC.

The whole inch off the line thing should have some context. Apparently all the teams were warned before this tourney that this was going to be a point of emphasis and that all infractions of the rule were going to be enforced strictly. And they remind the goalies before the kicks as well. So in that respect the ref just did what she had been instructed to do (and I do think it was more than an inch). I didn't see it. But I'm told Nigeria's goalie suffered a similar fate in this same tourney in a game. Is that true?

What I think will be more interesting as we move into the one and done phase of the tourney is if a game has to be decided on penalties. How strictly will the rule be enforced then and how much time is it going to take to get through the penalties. It's damn near impossible to stay rooted to that line. Will goalies maybe start off a foot behind the line and hit the line as the ball is being kicked? Do they practice something new like this?

But yeah, she cocked up plenty of other stuff - including ending the game insanely early given how much time was spent looking at TV replays.

It said 4 on the broadcast at one point, though it did take an eternity to show it, might've been when they reset after the equalizer. They ended it right after or maybe not even when it hit 5 minutes. Completely absurd

Never really understood why EVERYTHING had to be VAR reviewed. Seems they could've taken a page out of the NFL's book and only reviewed black-and-white stuff (changing slightly this year with pass-interference reviews). Launching right into reviewing everything was always a bad idea.

VAR was applied well at the men's World Cup but that likely had to do with having such top-notch refereeing. I'm guessing the levels of assessing women's soccer ref performance are not as rigorous

Last edited:
Between the CL and this World Cup I get the sense on twitter that VAR has lost a lot of supporters.

The bottom line: penalties heavily favor the player taking them, not the keeper. Making it even harder for the keeper with silly VAR analysis lessens the game.

Back