• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

you sure you're qualified to give that opinion?

giphy.gif

I don't know much about soccer, so I'm coming to the board for the answer to this question: Why does Rapinoe start? From what I've seen she makes shit passes, doesn't seem to hustle and can't finish shots. Kinda like when we tried to play Wambauch her last time playing, it was obvious she was slower than all the other girls. Makes me wonder if its just because rapinoes been around a while.

She's still a skilled player with a lethal shot and can hit good crosses. Hasn't been very good today, but she's still dangerous.

Love Tobin Heath's attitude, and skill to match. Take players on and beat them.

Naeher continues to be less-than-inspiring. She's punched or deflected a couple shots it seems like she could/should have caught. Her distribution is not great out of the back.

We really seem to have lost the thread of this game since the second goal. Less possession, too sloppy.

Basically same thing happened in Australia-Brazil and they gave it. At least they're consistent.

Though if truly consistent Chile's goal against us shoulda counted too

VAR has been the story of the tournament, unfortunately.

Lloyd clearly impacts the play from an offside position, has to be disallowed

The introduction, and expansion, of video replay has slowly started to bastardize the rule book, and now officials don't know how to interrupt their own rules.

Here's my shocked face.

100% that should have been called back, Lloyd was offside and her challenge on the ball impacted the play, as it led to it falling to Heath, who then scored.

I've been a USSF official for about a month, and can easily tell you that one.

VAR has been the story of the tournament, unfortunately.

didnt see Aussies v Brazil

but Chile's goal against us had a person distracting the GK and taking her attention away from the ball

Lloyd was in an offside position but that defender makes the same play on that ball with her there or not and Lloyd was not interfering with the defenders LOS

I don't have a problem with that not being called offside.

didnt see Aussies v Brazil

but Chile's goal against us had a person distracting the GK and taking her attention away from the ball

Lloyd was in an offside position but that defender makes the same play on that ball with her there or not and Lloyd was not interfering with the defenders LOS

I don't have a problem with that not being called offside.

The bigger issue is that Lloyd wasn't originally flagged for being offside because now that VAR exists the linesmen have been told to keep their flags down on tight calls and let the video sort it out later. In a game without VAR, almost every linesmen would have flagged and gotten the play blown dead. Which would be correct.

Not entirely sure about that, Bill. Not sure in the AR would call it since she didn't touch the ball. I understand your point, but in real-time so many ARs only call it when the player either touches it or is actively interfering with a defender trying to play the ball. Just being around the ball or in the area doesn't always get a flag, VAR or not.

Either way, I think our response since the goal has been poor. Far too passive, not controlling play anymore.

Naeher continues to be less-than-inspiring. She's punched or deflected a couple shots it seems like she could/should have caught. Her distribution is not great out of the back.

We really seem to have lost the thread of this game since the second goal. Less possession, too sloppy.

One of the things I've noticed over the years about women's soccer is that there don't seem to be nearly as many elite keepers as there are in the men's game. We were spoiled by having Solo for so long. But her play declined in that last Olympics, and she let in 2 extremely soft goals against Colombia. Once her play started to deteriorate, Ellis and the powers that be took the opportunity to get rid of her difficult ass. But yeah, Naeher makes me nervous, and Harris wasn't any better when she's been in there. Good thing our back 4 are solid.

Fair point cville. And before Solo we had Briana Scurry, so we had a pretty unprecedented stretch of very solid goalkeeping at the national team level.

Not entirely sure about that, Bill. Not sure in the AR would call it since she didn't touch the ball. I understand your point, but in real-time so many ARs only call it when the player either touches it or is actively interfering with a defender trying to play the ball. Just being around the ball or in the area doesn't always get a flag, VAR or not.

Either way, I think our response since the goal has been poor. Far too passive, not controlling play anymore.

The rule is if she is "challenging" for the ball. By just making the run she is "challenging" for the ball. You can literally see her trying to play the ball. It isn't the defender's fault that she gets to the ball before Lloyd can. As soon as Lloyd makes a play for the ball the ball is dead. In addition, VAR should never have to sort that one out. She was that offside. No need to keep the flag down there. VAR shouldn't have to sort that one out and the fact VAR failed to sort it out only calls the use of VAR into question all the more. The logic if the play unfolds any other way is that the defender should (a) have to know Lloyd is offside, and (b) to be completely safe would have to decide not to touch the ball and let Lloyd play it. And that is just ass backwards in every possible way.

As for the team, Sweden has shown you can press this team. You don't even have to be as athletic as the US to do it successfully. I hate to think what this D might look like if the team ever falls behind against a team, has to throw more bodies forward and has to deal with a decent counter attack.

DM, I agree with what you're saying but I'm not arguing whether it should be offside. I'm simply saying that based on watching a lot of soccer at every level, many ARs wouldn't necessarily raise a flag there, whether there's VAR or not. I'm aware of what the rule says, I'm just making an observation on how it seems to be called.

My *guess* would be that they decided the defender makes that play whether Lloyd is there or not. Their rationale being Lloyd didn't impede her ability to make the play, or alter it in any way, because the defender took a stab at a dangerous ball going into the box. i'm not saying that's right, and I'm not saying it wasn't offside. That's just my guess.

I still believe, pretty strongly, that the old way of calling offsides was far better. You're in an offside position when the ball gets played and make a move towards the ball or attempt to play it, you're off. No "challenging" or interfering. No waiting until you touch it. You're off. This new thing where a long ball gets played and a player who is clearly off can sprint down the field after it and there's no call, forcing defenders to make the sprint...only to find out 40 yards later when they touch it that it's off...is moronic.

Back