• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

The rule is if she is "challenging" for the ball. By just making the run she is "challenging" for the ball. You can literally see her trying to play the ball. It isn't the defender's fault that she gets to the ball before Lloyd can. As soon as Lloyd makes a play for the ball the ball is dead. In addition, VAR should never have to sort that one out. She was that offside. No need to keep the flag down there. VAR shouldn't have to sort that one out and the fact VAR failed to sort it out only calls the use of VAR into question all the more. The logic if the play unfolds any other way is that the defender should (a) have to know Lloyd is offside, and (b) to be completely safe would have to decide not to touch the ball and let Lloyd play it. And that is just ass backwards in every possible way.

errr, not exactly what Law 11 states about being guilty of offside when in an offside position

Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched
by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched bya team-mate orinterfering with an opponent by:preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball or*The first point of contact of the ‘play’ or ‘touch’ of the ball should be usedOffside98clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball orgaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponentwhen it has:rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponentbeen deliberately saved by any opponent

not letting me edit for some reason...

anyway

Lloyd never interfered with Sweden's #3. The last time #3 saw her was before the ball was even played. So she is going to make that play on the ball regardless if Lloyd is onside or not.

Lloyd never touches the ball and never comes near the #3 while she made the poor clearance attempt.

So Lloyd didn't...
A) play the ball
B) challenge for the ball
C) attempt to play the ball which impacted her opponent's ability from playing the ball, or
D) make any action that would have prevented her opponent from playing the ball

offside position but not offside.

point being, that goal plays out the same way whether Lloyd is a couple feet back or not. That Swedish defender was always going to attempt to clear a ball sent into her area. Lloyd never came close to interfering with her ability to play the ball.

This isn't even close for me after watching the replay a few times.

England's U-21 team which is mostly made up of premier league players just lost 4-2 to Romania despite having nearly 80% possession.

point being, that goal plays out the same way whether Lloyd is a couple feet back or not. That Swedish defender was always going to attempt to clear a ball sent into her area

If there's no VAR though maybe the Swedish defender stops and raises her arm to bring attention to the fact that Lloyd was offsides. Then she would have been because the ball would've reached her

If there's no VAR though maybe the Swedish defender stops and raises her arm to bring attention to the fact that Lloyd was offsides. Then she would have been because the ball would've reached her

lol as if a player thinks about VAR as the ball is being played into their area

I think has spurred an overall change in that players appeal less because they figure VAR will redress any offsides wrongs

I’ve never taken a PK in a World Cup round of 16 match that ended 1-1 after extra time so I’ll abstain

Not too high, too hard.

major-league-fans.gif

I’ve never taken a PK in a World Cup round of 16 match that ended 1-1 after extra time so I’ll abstain

I took a penalty in a U13 State Cup tournament semifinal, so I feel more than qualified to address any concerns.

What happened? I'll be sure to give an informed AND accurate opinion.

Another very questionable penalty retake in the Gold Cup. One of Guyana keeper's feet appeared to be on the line still. Such a stupid thing to focus on.

And US sends out the same XI against TnT.

as long as a keeper isn't jumping off their line before the ball is struck it is so pointless to care

really no advantage to it

Back