• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

‘The Blind Side’ was a lie

But still how did he not know until now?
I think that's a fair question, but there are a couple of reasons I can imagine.

1) The movie came out and blew up right around when he got drafted, so there's a massive influx of money into his bank account and people taking care of paying agents, managers, his taxes, etc. so when his accountant says "ok, everything is squared away here's what we're putting in your account" the avg early 20-something-yo probably wouldn't give it another look. And the Tuohys def aren't going to point it out.

2) At some point he, or someone on his team, wised up to the missing money. Unpacking all of his contracts, payments, endorsement contracts, appearance fees, basically everything he has been paid for the last however many years takes time. Trying to figure what was paid out for the movie takes time too. These are the types of accusations you can't just start throwing around in the media unless you want to get sued yourself.

All of this is to say, a lag of some number of years to realize something sketchy is going on and then some time (maybe years) to piece together what happened and get receipts so you don't sued for accusing the family of stealing from you can account for a lot of time.

I think that's a fair question, but there are a couple of reasons I can imagine.

1) The movie came out and blew up right around when he got drafted, so there's a massive influx of money into his bank account and people taking care of paying agents, managers, his taxes, etc. so when his accountant says "ok, everything is squared away here's what we're putting in your account" the avg early 20-something-yo probably wouldn't give it another look. And the Tuohys def aren't going to point it out.

2) At some point he, or someone on his team, wised up to the missing money. Unpacking all of his contracts, payments, endorsement contracts, appearance fees, basically everything he has been paid for the last however many years takes time. Trying to figure what was paid out for the movie takes time too. These are the types of accusations you can't just start throwing around in the media unless you want to get sued yourself.

All of this is to say, a lag of some number of years to realize something sketchy is going on and then some time (maybe years) to piece together what happened and get receipts so you don't sued for accusing the family of stealing from you can account for a lot of time.

That makes sense to me.

Yeah, super rich people are famously very generous with their wealth and definitely don’t try to screw over other people to make more money that they don’t need
I wouldn't paint with that broad brush. Bob McCreary says "hello" and "you're welcome".

Don't be bitter. It gets you nowhere. Can't have it both ways. Can't praise Mitt Shah and McCreary and then claim all rich people are evil. Life doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
I wouldn't paint with that broad brush. Bob McCreary says "hello" and "you're welcome".

Don't be bitter. It gets you nowhere. Can't have it both ways. Can't praise Mitt Shah and McCreary and then claim all rich people are evil. Life doesn't work that way.
I think there’s room to both be grateful that those specific rich people gave money to support a cause that I care about (Wake sports) and to acknowledge that most people that have that level of wealth are not as generous with their money as they easily could be.

I really wanna know what Michael Lewis knew and when he knew it.
I wonder if the family were the ones pushing the narrative in the movie that Oher was some dumbass who had to be taught football from some Karen and she had to teach Hugh Freeze how to coach.

So the 200 million + the Touhys made from their franchises prior to Oher and they are going to milk a vulnerable kid?

Lol, he pissed his NFL fortune away.....

That's it. You people are suckers to believe the media.
You should go back to lurking

When the movie came out was too young to really notice, was there any sort of negative public reaction to how insanely insulting the stereotypes portrayed in that movie are? Or has that been something primarily noted in hindsight?

Is Deacon Rick dumber than another Deacon Rick we all know? Just asking question.

I think there’s room to both be grateful that those specific rich people gave money to support a cause that I care about (Wake sports) and to acknowledge that most people that have that level of wealth are not as generous with their money as they easily could be.

So, the rich people who support your interests are the "good ones" but the others are not "good". Don't fall into that trap. In my career, I knew many multi-millionaires. You'd be shocked how many give MILLIONS and don't have videos posted about their contributions. But, let's just label them as "evil". Again, life is not that simple.

So, the rich people who support your interests are the "good ones" but the others are not "good". Don't fall into that trap.
I don't see where in deacon14's post he said that he knows McCreary or Shah to be "good."

That wealthy people used their wealth to support my interests doesn't really mean shit for their moral standing. Maybe McCreary and Shah are saints; maybe not. But people that wealthy generally don't become and stay wealthy through altruism.

So, the rich people who support your interests are the "good ones" but the others are not "good". Don't fall into that trap. In my career, I knew many multi-millionaires. You'd be shocked how many give MILLIONS and don't have videos posted about their contributions. But, let's just label them as "evil". Again, life is not that simple.
I didn’t call any of them good or evil man, why are you so defensive about this?

I said that I can simultaneously hold the view that I’m happy that Wake boosters give to Wake and that I think people with a net worth greater than tens of millions of dollars should do less wealth hoarding

I wonder if the family were the ones pushing the narrative in the movie that Oher was some dumbass who had to be taught football from some Karen and she had to teach Hugh Freeze how to coach.
presumably somebody fact checked the book, though, even if Lewis didn't intentionally lie about the narrative in the book to cover his friends' asses.

for example, somebody undoubtedly checked to see if the family actually adopted Oher

good read, regardless of what you think about Whitlock's politics
The thoughtful analysis of the facts you’d expect from a Ball State grad mixed with some determinations about the character of a person he doesn’t know while acknowledging that person had a horrific upbringing.

Seems to me that the factual analysis was solid but why a conclude Oher is lacking as a person?

The thoughtful analysis of the facts you’d expect from a Ball State grad mixed with some determinations about the character of a person he doesn’t know while acknowledging that person had a horrific upbringing.

Seems to me that the factual analysis was solid but why a conclude Oher is lacking as a person?
oh man, Jason Whitlock came to the conclusion that a black person is a piece of shit? No way, that seems way out of character

How do you think they made way more money than they need in the first place?

I think you’d end up surprised at how many people have a ton of wealth, are super generous and you’d never know they have money.

They just aren’t in the public eye

Back