• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

“Inside WakeyLeaks” from The Athletic

I’m late to this party, but what a terrible take. Let’s all move on and make sure we don’t upset any of the big boys. Stay in our place. Kids may have had their chances at furthering their football careers ruined, coaches were clearly questioning their own competence, kids may have been hurt. How many times did Wolford get hit when he wouldn’t have? How might that have affected him in the long term physically or brain damage wise? What effect did he have on the confidence of these kids? And they are kids. This jerk was affecting innocent kids, who usually were underrated and underrecruited- and working their asses off, wondering why they weren’t good enough. Those are our fellow alums. Fuck Elrod. I wish Wake did half of what it did for him for many of the football players who graduated from Wake that I know are still holding down barely above minimum wage jobs, but still watching every game and saving up to go to a bowl game. This guy should have a reminder of this every day of his life.

I can also confirm that the players hated McCartney. He was always an asshat who obviously didn’t give two fucks about WF or the guys who gave their bodies for him.

Johnson grass is a perpetual outlandish troll. Ignore is helpful.

I don't post often but as someone in the industry felt compelled to say that this is one of the most ignorant posts I've seen on the board. Go look at any t50 university (e.g., MITIMCo, HMC, DUMAC, UVIMCO). They are almost always run by "independent" management companies so they can shield liability and pay market rate salaries and bonuses and go after the best talent, independent of college hiring practices. In Verger's case they also were trying to attract capital from schools with smaller endowments to increase AUM and maintain access to the best outside managers. I have no inside information on whether that was successful versus firms like Commonfund but that was purpose, not hiring a shill like Elrod.

As someone in the higher education industry, I know.

I'm not saying Wake created Verger specifically to give Elrod a job. I'm saying it's a weird coincidence that Wake got on board with a trend that aspirational peer universities started well before 2014 and started with a crony hire you could argue ended up costing the university money and at the very least damaged the reputation of the football program. I seriously doubt an ex-QB coach was the "best talent" to be first director of business management. Seems like he was either unqualified or they made up a job for him.

Again, Elrod really screwed up. It was immoral what he did. I was wrong to assume this was fake news initially. It turned out it wasn't fake news.

None of that, however, changes the reality that more protocols should have been put in place to prevent this. Now that we have learned Elrod wanted to continue coaching and we cut him off, we (namely Wellman) should not have given him such access to assist his buddies in the hopes of getting more jobs.

Changing the subject to one of the following does not take away from my point:
(1) But Elrod was really evil.
(2) But you have red hair and you are cocky
(3) But you initially didn't believe the reports
(4) But you were under the wrong impression Elrod didn't want to continue coaching
(5) But you're an asshole
(6) But this really sucks
(7) But we really suck
(8) But Wes Miller sucks and Steve Forbes just won the ACC (or at least the improvement award)
(9) But ManMan really is smart
(10) But you must be a racist
(11) But you are at the British Open, so your silence means you are wrong

Pro Tip- if you don’t want to be called racist, stop calling a Black student who attended the same university as you, and who has already positively impacted more people than you will in your lifetime, stupid, on a public message board.

Again, Elrod really screwed up. It was immoral what he did. I was wrong to assume this was fake news initially. It turned out it wasn't fake news.

None of that, however, changes the reality that more protocols should have been put in place to prevent this. Now that we have learned Elrod wanted to continue coaching and we cut him off, we (namely Wellman) should not have given him such access to assist his buddies in the hopes of getting more jobs.

Changing the subject to one of the following does not take away from my point:
(1) But Elrod was really evil.
(2) But you have red hair and you are cocky
(3) But you initially didn't believe the reports
(4) But you were under the wrong impression Elrod didn't want to continue coaching
(5) But you're an asshole
(6) But this really sucks
(7) But we really suck
(8) But Wes Miller sucks and Steve Forbes just won the ACC (or at least the improvement award)
(9) But ManMan really is smart
(10) But you must be a racist
(11) But you are at the British Open, so your silence means you are wrong

you left out "you're an ambulance chaser who advertises on billboards"

you left out "you're an ambulance chaser who advertises on billboards"

Yes, I realized that after my post. I also left out such "Tier 3" school/alum arguments such as:

(1) You went to Duke Law School. So you suck.
(2) Cameron Indoor is a dump
(3) K is a cheater
(4) You are fat.
(5) You haven't been laid in 2 hours
(6) You are short
(7) You wear shorts
(8) We loved finishing last in the Prosser era. When the Joel "rocked"

Yes, I realized that after my post. I also left out such "Tier 3" school/alum arguments such as:

(3) K is a cheater
(4) You are fat.
(6) You are short
(7) You wear shorts

You live in Greensboring and think it is a dope place to live. 🤣

(3) K is a cheater
(4) You are fat.
(6) You are short
(7) You wear shorts

As an avid, non-senior golfer, you play golf from the white tees.

ive never seen his billboards, but did shoot one interesting interview with him. I couldn't stop staring at the incredibly good looking blond assistant he had videotaping our video interview.

Love my visits to Greensboro when I can get there these days. Gonna be even less frequent if the ACC ends, Wake and Duke end up in the So Con, and the Wyndham gets purged trying to make up to the Saudis.

Not to worry, I'm sure you all have other pot shots to take at all the other towns I reside these days as well.

Love my visits to Greensboro when I can get there these days. Gonna be even less frequent if the ACC ends, Wake and Duke end up in the So Con, and the Wyndham gets purged trying to make up to the Saudis.

Not to worry, I'm sure you all have other pot shots to take at all the other towns I reside these days as well.

ACC will be around for 12+ more years, unless somebody with good lawyering skills can crack the Grant of Rights.

Imagine the hubris, even full blown narcissism, to think people shit on Greensboro because you live there.

Back