• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

100 greatest video games of all time

Halo I was about as groundbreaking as a video game gets IMHO. Goldeneye back in the N64 days, and when Madden hit the upgraded consoles it was unreal.

I played "Doom" as a kid, which allowed gore and violence into the mainstream even if it had the worst graphics ever.

40-21 is now out. Uncharted 2 at 40. I would bet Uncharted 3 will be in the top 10. And one of my faves, Eternal Darkness at 37. Resident Evil 4 surprisingly checks in at 25.

Thoughts on games likely in the top 20:

Arkham Asylum - generally considered "better" than Arkham City, and City is ranked 32.
Metal Gear Solid - The series already has 3 games on the list, and the original is the "best" of the series.
Pilotwings - Did stuff for the SNES that had never been done before.
SMB3 - Was in The Wizard
Super Mario World - worthy of number 1
Bioshock - Obvious choice
Halo - brought multiplayer mainstream
Goldeneye - still gets play to this day
NFL2k1 - Blew Madden out of the water in terms of graphics
The Last of Us - Probably the best PS3 game ever made
Heavy Rain - if they want to make an "out there" pick, this is the one

Eternal Darkness was an awesome game and an even better idea. Glad it made the list. FFX above FFVI makes me fear that FFVII will be in the Top 5, which will make me completely invalidate the list.

Thoughts on games likely in the top 20:

Arkham Asylum - generally considered "better" than Arkham City, and City is ranked 32.
Metal Gear Solid - The series already has 3 games on the list, and the original is the "best" of the series.
Pilotwings - Did stuff for the SNES that had never been done before.
SMB3 - Was in The Wizard
Super Mario World - worthy of number 1
Bioshock - Obvious choice
Halo - brought multiplayer mainstream
Goldeneye - still gets play to this day
NFL2k1 - Blew Madden out of the water in terms of graphics
The Last of Us - Probably the best PS3 game ever made
Heavy Rain - if they want to make an "out there" pick, this is the one

On Arkham Asylum, really? I always thought Arkham City was considered better. I thought it was better. From their write up for City it sounds like Asylum won't be on the list. Halo was already on the list, but Halo 2 will definitely be there. And I would put NFL 2K5 in instead, as I think that's the best Football/Sports game ever made.

I preferred Arkham Asylum because I think the tight narrative focus does the game more justice than the open world style of City, but I don't think that is a majority sentiment.

One game everyone has been forgetting that will likely show up tomorrow is Super Metroid. I think Red Dead Redemption will also show up then. I have doubts that there will be any sports games in the top 20, though. Just doesn't seem like that kind of list.

Good to see Ico and Rez make the list.

I'd almost forgotten how fun Metroid Prime was.

I'm not sure Red Dead will make it. I think it's certainly worthy - I think it's certainly better than all of the GTA franchise - but it doesn't seem like they are valuing open world games that highly. Fallout 3 came in at like #92. If RDR is on there, what about Skyrim and Oblivion?

i think morrowind was slightly better than skyrim and both were way better than oblivion. Morrowind really set the bar for solo-open world RPG. Skyrim/Oblivion built on that. kind of like the Mario 64 situation.

Morrowind also arrived in a time when it was still ok to make a difficult videogame. now publishers dumb games down for broader appeal, which makes sense. just a little disappointing.

Last edited:
People get too nostalgic for Morrowind. Skyrim blows it out of the water. But even if I'm wrong - and I probably am - they're both worthy in the same class as Fallout 3, which was ranked tragically low.

I was hoping to see Crash Bandicoot appear on this list somewhere, but I SERIOUSLY doubt it's a top 20 game all time.

People get too nostalgic for Morrowind. Skyrim blows it out of the water. But even if I'm wrong - and I probably am - they're both worthy in the same class as Fallout 3, which was ranked tragically low.

No way. Skyrim is just a prettier version of Oblivion which was really an awful game. Morrowind was groundbreaking.

there's definitely some nostalgia, but like TW said, Skyrim doesn't really do anything but tweak the game's mechanics and make it a little more pleasant to play casually. and i still can't forgive them for leveling dungeons.

Chrono Trigger is making an appearance in the top 20, I expect. I'm very curious where they place Ocarina of Time. FF7 might make the top 10.

Halo I was about as groundbreaking as a video game gets IMHO. Goldeneye back in the N64 days, and when Madden hit the upgraded consoles it was unreal.

I played "Doom" as a kid, which allowed gore and violence into the mainstream even if it had the worst graphics ever.

Bullshit. Doom's graphics were revolutionary for the time. Potentially headache inducing (after 10+ hours) but presented 3d gameplay like nothing before.

Arkham City was very good because there was more content and they advanced many of the play mechanics from Asylum, but I think ultimately I preferred Asylum because of the atmosphere. Honestly the Scarecrow portions of Asylum were truly the highlight of the series so far. There are reports that there will be a major Scarecrow portion for Arkham Knight, and while I don't have any next gen systems right now, that game could be the one to get me to by one.

Another vote for Shadow of the Colossus as a top ten game. STILL waiting for The Last Guardian from Team Ico. Any year now would be awesome.

Chrono Trigger is making an appearance in the top 20, I expect. I'm very curious where they place Ocarina of Time. FF7 might make the top 10.

Never got the FFVII hype. I like FFVI and FFV better, as well as FFVIII and FFXII.

Bullshit. Doom's graphics were revolutionary for the time. Potentially headache inducing (after 10+ hours) but presented 3d gameplay like nothing before.

Yep. Doom has crap graphics compared to today, but they were great back in the day.

Back