• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

15 games left after tonight's beat down

I have no clue why the "I suck but they cannot fire me" recruiting pitch isn't working with top 100 recruits.

Top 100 recruits figure they will be gone before long, so contract length doesn't matter.

Oh, and the reason the 18 mill figure has been floated around so much?

Manning tells people, especially parents of recruits who question program stability.

Manning: "I'm a terrible coach, but the previous AD was so incompetent that he gave me this ridiculous contract, so I'm going to be the coach here for a long time. So do you want to come and play for me?"

Recruit: "Uh no, because you are a terrible coach."

but i thought we were going to take a step! The only step we are taking is right into dog crap.

Fire Hatch. Fire the BOT.

Manning will not be fired simply because the university cannot afford the contract buyout Wellman gave him. Worst contractual move in college athletic history. But never forget that Nathan Hatch and the BOT were ultimately responsible for approving Wellman's idiotic contract extension.

That 18 mill buyout?

100% true.

I didn’t believe it (believed there was a buyout, but not that much) until a few hours ago.

After DM’s third season, WeLLman thought Manning had righted the ship and liked the presumed trajectory of the program. He was worried that bigger and better programs would come calling so he worked Manning’s contract to include repayment clause, so if he left Wake before the end of the contract, he would owe the school a pretty hefty chunk of change (I don’t know that figure) but Manning’s agent wouldn’t let him sign the agreement without a lucrative buyout for the big guy. His manager (whoever he is) is very, very good (I was told). He was able to negotiate the 18 mill buyout because WeLLman was convinced Danny was “the man” and thought this was a sure thing.

I was told “no one in the AD ever imagined this would turn out like it has”. Everyone in the AD likes Manning, especially WeLLman. Recruits like him, their parents like him. But the big time, 4 and 5 star kids don’t want to play for him because we suck.

Did WeLLman retire because of the contract extension and the buyout? While no one in the AD has said that out loud, it is certainly “known”. He tanked the men’s basketball program with back-to-back bad hires and made a deal so bad that Wake can’t get rid of one.

The reason Manning is here this season? Wake simply could not afford the buyout.

The good news? The buyout decreases significantly at the end of the season. An amount wasn’t given, but I was told it’s more affordable.

Wow. Stunning levels of incompetence by Wellman, Hatch, the Athletic Department, and those who approved the contract. No one outside of Wake thought Manning was working after 3 years. What buffoons. Wake is truly fucked. One new hire (Currie) can’t change this rot. It is a deep seated losing mentality at play here.

I"m so glad that Comcast hasn't cut a deal with the ACC Network. I'm so much happier this year not getting to see 90% of our games.

That 18 mill buyout?

100% true.

I didn’t believe it (believed there was a buyout, but not that much) until a few hours ago.

After DM’s third season, WeLLman thought Manning had righted the ship and liked the presumed trajectory of the program. He was worried that bigger and better programs would come calling so he worked Manning’s contract to include repayment clause, so if he left Wake before the end of the contract, he would owe the school a pretty hefty chunk of change (I don’t know that figure) but Manning’s agent wouldn’t let him sign the agreement without a lucrative buyout for the big guy. His manager (whoever he is) is very, very good (I was told). He was able to negotiate the 18 mill buyout because WeLLman was convinced Danny was “the man” and thought this was a sure thing.

I was told “no one in the AD ever imagined this would turn out like it has”. Everyone in the AD likes Manning, especially WeLLman. Recruits like him, their parents like him. But the big time, 4 and 5 star kids don’t want to play for him because we suck.

Did WeLLman retire because of the contract extension and the buyout? While no one in the AD has said that out loud, it is certainly “known”. He tanked the men’s basketball program with back-to-back bad hires and made a deal so bad that Wake can’t get rid of one.

The reason Manning is here this season? Wake simply could not afford the buyout.

The good news? The buyout decreases significantly at the end of the season. An amount wasn’t given, but I was told it’s more affordable.

Sounds like Currie could make a move in March to get rid of the buffoon. For the sake of the men's basketball program, I sure hope so. Really can't imagine they can continue to let this go on as is with 4800 people in attendance at ACC games and the overall wretched state of the program.

Currie needs to get rid of Manning. Even if he makes the post season he still needs to go. I would let him go now. Nester as interim HC. No Childress. I hope Walters is renting and did not buy a house. What the hell does Woodberry do for this team?

Wipe the slate clean.

Make Nestor, Walters or, hell, even the Demon Deacon mascot guy as interim head coach and we'd all breathe a huge sigh of relief for the time being. :cool:

Manning will not be fired simply because the university cannot afford the contract buyout Wellman gave him. Worst contractual move in college athletic history. But never forget that Nathan Hatch and the BOT were ultimately responsible for approving Wellman's idiotic contract extension.

Wake certainly can “afford” the buyout if it chooses to do so, but , as much as I want Manning gone, I can respect the University’s decision to not pay the buyout. The piece I have never understood is whether Sutton, Shah etc would chip in on , or pay the buyout as happens at many schools. Are one , or both of them in Manning’s corner?

Currie needs to get rid of Manning. Even if he makes the post season he still needs to go. I would let him go now. Nester as interim HC. No Childress. I hope Walters is renting and did not buy a house. What the hell does Woodberry do for this team?

Wipe the slate clean.

This was posted today? Have you seen this team play? They have a better chance of being asked to not show up to the ACC tournament to make it an even # of teams than they do of playing in the post season.

I"m so glad that Comcast hasn't cut a deal with the ACC Network. I'm so much happier this year not getting to see 90% of our games.

This is where I'm at. I was pissed at the beginning of hoops season and was going to go yell at them, then I watched a handful of ACC games, and I was more than fine with it. And it's not just the ACC - the level of play across the country is down.

I have no faith that Danny will be fired after the season, or that a new hire will be any good. The fact that VT with no hoops history has made 2 really good hires in a row, and our 2 hires (and Danny's 2nd contract) have been so miserable given our hoops history is thoroughly depressing.

That 18 mill buyout?

100% true.

Wellman had sole discretion to agree to $18M? I doubt it — someone else had to OK that. A comparison with any other coaching contract at the college level would have shown how insane that is. But 30 years of power gives you a lot of leeway.

I can sort of see how this unfolded given Wellman's (weak) position. He completely flopped with Bz and after Year 3, it wasn't totally unreasonable to think Manning would have been decent, given the success of the JC recruiting class. He was never going to be great, but at least Wellman could say "look at the positive direction" and somewhat maintain his legacy. He would have been happy with ~.500 basketball and fans to shut up. Of course, it didn't work out that way.

the low attendance at games is costing the university millions compared to what attendance would be for a competitive program

This is why I think (hope) Manning will be gone this year. Paying the buyout has to outweigh the continued monetary losses the AD and MBB program, I assume, are creating by keeping him around. It compounds every year they hang on to Manning.

Wellman had sole discretion to agree to $18M? I doubt it — someone else had to OK that. A comparison with any other coaching contract at the college level would have shown how insane that is. But 30 years of power gives you a lot of leeway.

I can sort of see how this unfolded given Wellman's (weak) position. He completely flopped with Bz and after Year 3, it wasn't totally unreasonable to think Manning would have been decent, given the success of the JC recruiting class. He was never going to be great, but at least Wellman could say "look at the positive direction" and somewhat maintain his legacy. He would have been happy with ~.500 basketball and fans to shut up. Of course, it didn't work out that way.

It was mentioned on another thread by SCdeac or someone like that, but Ray Tanner gave Will Muschamp a huge buyout after a 2nd year turn around (or so it was thought) for Gamecock football. Muschamp won 9 games that year including a bowl win. The Cocks didn't really beat anyone of note as SEC was down that year. Tanner however felt Boom was going to be scooped up by a bigger program and gave him a 5 year extension with a $21 mil buyout. Even with all SEC $$$ coming in, Tanner doesn't want to make a change.

Back