• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

16 close losses since the Orange Bowl

The talent disparity is much closer between Wake and State, but State is more talented on paper. We don't have a play maker on defense like Manning.

We are in a lot of close games because we have Jim Grobe. We line up with two, sometimes three times per season on an even basis.

I completely understand the whole "isn't it great that we are in a position to win against this team that are better than we are?" line of thinking. Coach Grobe has certainly raised the expectations for our team. But, even if we aren't favored to win going into any given game, when we find ourselves in the middle of a game that we are in a position to win, wouldn't it be great if we would continue coaching in the same manner that got us to that position in the first place?

I completely understand the whole "isn't it great that we are in a position to win against this team that are better than we are?" line of thinking. Coach Grobe has certainly raised the expectations for our team. But, even if we aren't favored to win going into any given game, when we find ourselves in the middle of a game that we are in a position to win, wouldn't it be great if we would continue coaching in the same manner that got us to that position in the first place?

Often we do, and the other team plays better and starts stopping us/moving the ball and everybody says we started coaching differently.

You mean like when Tanner was sacked in the fourth quarter against ND?

Often we do, and the other team plays better and starts stopping us/moving the ball and everybody says we started coaching differently.

Are you saying that the other team successfully makes adjustments?

RedSoxFaithful must be awakegirl's fiance

Are you saying that the other team successfully makes adjustments?

I think the teams we play are more talented and deeper and when they are focused at crunch time they outplay us in the 4th.

I think the teams we play are more talented and deeper and when they are focused at crunch time they outplay us in the 4th.

I understand this and agree that more talented depth is, and probably always will be, a big issue for Wake football. Will we ever get past that?

That sounds like a copout, to be honest.

Good teams win close games consistently, because they execute when it matters. We haven't done that. It has nothing to do with the talent disparity between Wake and other schools. We had the talent and capability to win most of the games listed here. There wasn't any magic trickery that "lulled an opponent to sleep" for 3+ quarters.

I'm finding myself questioning Grobe's in-game coaching ability the more and more Wake football I watch. It's confusing to me that the same people who are praising him for that mystical sleep-inducing phantom gameplan to start the game are making excuses for his late game management. You can't have it both ways. He's obviously brought this program to where it is, and he's exception with regards to sleeper recruiting and player development. I personally wouldn't replace him right now or in the near future (obviously), but his in-game coaching ability is just not good, and it's been pretty apparent to me, even just based on 2008-09 and this year. Adjustments have to be made somewhere, and I'm not 100% positive that Grobe's immune from the Lobo/Billings/Knorr criticism.

Don't interrupt the LOWF love-in with rational observations.

a huge state school like wake forest should WIN. everybody in NC grows up dreaming to play football at wake forest. plus, there are no other universities with lesser academic standards in NC as competition. wake forest is the only game in town.

when you add in a hundred years of tradition it's inexcusable. let's run grobe's dumb ass out of town. i'm sick and tired of this underachieving shit.

a huge state school like wake forest should WIN. everybody in NC grows up dreaming to play football at wake forest. plus, there are no other universities with lesser academic standards in NC as competition. wake forest is the only game in town.

when you add in a hundred years of tradition it's inexcusable. let's run grobe's dumb ass out of town. i'm sick and tired of this underachieving shit.
You're being irrational.

Yes, there are handicaps inherent in Wake's football program.

No, that doesn't forbid success or progression past mediocrity.

You're being irrational.

yeah, the schools with the same handicaps as wake are the usual football powers. you know, like

oklahoma
texas
usc
florida
lsu
alabama
georgia
ohio state

i'm the one being irrational

You're being irrational.

This period of Wake Forest football compared to previous ones is not mediocre.

Furthermore, this idea that we're an overmatched team who should never have a chance against more reputable programs (and I'm talking specifically about this year) is bullshit.

I'm sick of the "Before the season, would you have taken a 6-6 record?" counterargument. Of course I would have. But we would have been operating under incomplete information. Had I known then what I know now about this team, no, I wouldn't have been happy with that. It's the same thing as the fans who are excusing yesterday's loss as having played the #9 team in the country close. We were capable of beating them, and frankly, we're capable of being the #9 team in the country in a given year.

This is a really talented football team, and a combination of poor coaching and lack of opportunism (from an execution standpoint) have seen them underachieve by a couple of games. Jim Grobe turning around our program doesn't make him immune from the criticism that he's currently holding it back. Which, in some respects, he is.

I said it yesterday in the game thread, mostly jokingly: There's a Samsung Galaxy S II commercial that proclaims that nobody wants to be "almost" remembered. Why are we content with that? Why should we be content with that? The LOWF mentality is self-fulfilling. Expect more.

I understand this and agree that more talented depth is, and probably always will be, a big issue for Wake football. Will we ever get past that?

We won an ACC championship and were a hair from playing in Charlotte this year.

Carolina teams with Hakeem Nicks and Julius Peppers didn't get that close to the conference title.

I think we are doing pretty alright.

It isn't just hard for us to win the ACC championship. It is hard for UNC, the flagship school in the state that gets all of the top recruits in the state after the national recruits get snapped up, to win the ACC championship. That's why they haven't done it since the Carter adminstration. NC State either.

Last edited:
We won an ACC championship and were a hair from playing in Charlotte this year.

Carolina teams with Hakeem Nicks and Julius Peppers didn't get that close to the conference title.

I think we are doing pretty alright.

It isn't just hard for us to win the ACC championship. It is hard for UNC, the flagship school in the state that gets all of the top recruits in the state after the national recruits get snapped up, to win the ACC championship. That's why they haven't done it since the Carter adminstration. NC State either.

bullshit. we are fucking loaded with talent. LOADED. we are being held back by our shitty ass coaching. grobe must go.

Back