• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Pa Supreme Court Chief Justice Reacts to Threats of Impeachment

HARRISBURG — Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania Thomas G. Saylor released the following statement regarding potential impeachment proceedings against members of the Supreme Court:
“As Chief Justice of Pennsylvania, I am very concerned by the reported filing of impeachment resolutions against Justices of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania related to the Court’s decision about congressional redistricting.
“Threats of impeachment directed against Justices because of their decision in a particular case are an attack upon an independent judiciary, which is an essential component of our constitutional plan of government.”

Here’s an idea, Pubs. Try some winsome ideas and policies. You know, to make life and government better for folks. Lessens the need for lying and cheating.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...-moderate-democrats-should-be-running-on.html

"...But new survey data from the progressive think tank Data for Progress (DFP) demonstrates the very opposite. Now, when an ideologically motivated think tank puts out a poll showing that the public supports a policy it endorses, one should generally take its findings with a bucket of salt; in most cases, you’ll find that the survey was strategically worded to yield the desired result. But as DFP co-founder Sean McElwee explains in the Nation, the think tank took pains to preempt that criticism:

To explore the possibility of Democrats’ running on a guaranteed-job plan, we asked the respected data analytics firm Civis Analytics to not only poll guaranteed jobs, but poll it in the way that would be most likely to gain opposition from voters. They asked respondents: “Democrats in Congress are proposing a bill which would guarantee a job to every American adult, with the government providing jobs for people who can’t find employment in the private sector. This would be paid for by a 5 percent income tax increase on those making over $200,000 per year. Would you be for or against this policy?”

… The results of the Civis polling were nothing short of stunning, showing large net support for a job guarantee: 52 percent in support, 29 percent opposed, and the rest don’t know. “Even with explicit partisan framing and the inclusion of revenue in the wording, this is one of the most popular issues we’ve ever polled,” said David Shor, a senior data scientist at Civis Analytics."

This shouldn’t be surprising. Decades of political research has established that most voters view politics through the lens of identity, not ideology. Ordinary voters do not cast their ballots for whichever party or candidate most faithfully represents their abstract political philosophy, but rather, whichever one appears to best represent their people — a group they may define with reference to class, region, religion, gender, race, or partisanship itself.

Thus, when the typical “conservative” working-class voter hears a description of the federal jobs guarantee, she does not plot the proposal’s ideological valence on the left-right spatial model she keeps in her head (or ask herself what Friedrich Hayek would think); she merely hears a common-sense idea for giving work to the idle, and providing employment security to working-class people like herself.

And this is part of what makes the idea that Democrats must campaign as economic moderates in working class, pro-Trump districts so misguided. Reachable voters in such areas are almost invariably cross-pressured: Their racial or cultural identities pull them toward the GOP, while their class consciousness (however dim) makes them more sympathetic to “liberal” economic ideas. Such culturally conservative, fiscally progressive voters constitute a hefty chunk of the American electorate: A recent study of voter opinion by the political scientist Larry Bartels found that about one-fourth of Hillary Clinton’s supporters espoused downright Trumpian views on “cultural” issues, while still endorsing (and, ostensibly, prioritizing) conventionally liberal convictions about the role of government in the economy. Meanwhile, Bartels found that a majority of Republican voters approved of “government efforts to regulate pollution, provide a decent standard of living for people unable to work, and ensure access to good health care, while substantial minorities favor reducing income differences and helping families pay for child care and college.”

This study, along with multiple others, testifies to a basic truth about American politics, circa 2018: If Democrats could only get voters to cast their ballots on the basis of their views on economic policy, they would dominate all levels of government.

353e12c3c4dbfac2ceea09f35b8c00a3.jpg
abb5a12328e708749129f4f85102d953.jpg

A judge told Scott Walker he had to hold special elections for open state legislature seats. So Republicans are trying to change the law.

Scott Walker, Republican lawmakers call for swift changes to special election law

Gov. Scott Walker and Republican lawmakers are moving quickly to change when special elections must be held in the wake of a court order requiring special elections for two vacant legislative seats.

Dane County Circuit Judge Josann Reynolds — who was appointed to the bench by Walker in 2014 and elected to a six-year term the following year — blistered the governor Thursday for refusing to call the special elections and ordered him to do so within a week.

Pathetic that a Republican Nazi and Stacey Dash have more balls than these Republicans afraid to run where they're likely to lose.

Of note, Costello is on this list:

Carlos Curbelo put his name on the press release for Al Hoffman, Jr.'s new gun control advocacy organization.
http://americansforgunsafetynow.com/

In the immediate future – we will be working hard to bring forth a legislative package that we believe can build bipartisan support to make our schools, and entire nation safer. We believe that a national legislative package should do the following:

• Eliminate Bump Stocks
  • Limit High Capacity Magazines and Armor Piercing Ammo
  • Express Support for 2nd Amendment Rights
  • Raise the National Limit for all Gun Sales to 21 Years of Age
  • Expand Universal Background Checks
  • Provide Additional Support for Mental Health Services
[h=3]And, ultimately eliminate the style of weapons that have been used to end countless lives![/h] NOW is the time to act to make our communities safer. We don’t believe we can or should wait. While the march starts today – it doesn’t end today!
JOIN US. Sign up below to get involved and join the conversation on our Facebook Page.
Carlos Curbelo,
Member of Congress

Brian Mast,
Member of Congress

Ambassador Cathy Bailey

Ambassador Chuck Cobb

Ambassador Al Hoffman

Ambassador Howard Leach

Ambassador Mel Sembler

General Dave Palmer,
Former Superintendent of US Military Academy

General Leroy Suddath,
Former Head of Army Special Forces

General Charles Hamm,
Former Superintendent of US Air Force Academy

General Jack Nicholson

Norm Braman,
President Braman Automotive Group

Stanley Tate,
Tate Enterprises

Dennis Blair,
Former Director of National Intelligence

Cyrus Freidheim,
Former CEO Sun Times Media Group, Chiquita Brands International, Retired Vice Chair, Booz Allen Hamilton

Michael “Mike” B. Fernandez,
Chairman MBF Healthcare Partners

Bradford M. Freeman,
Co-Founder Freeman Spogli

Fred Guttenberg,
Orange Ribbons for Jaime

Michael Munz,
CEO Rummell-Munz

Jack Nicklaus,
Professional Golfer

Peter Rummell,
Chairman Rummell-Munz

Dwight Schar,
Chairman of the Board of NVR, Inc.

Ambassador C. Boyden Gray

[h=4]
[/h]

Hmm, why would health insurance companies all be making maximum donations to a centrist democrat Super PAC before primary season...such a mystery.
2bfb824a89ca1420e3c3c0e9f502e5a6.jpg

[h=1]This Liberal Sports Radio Host Thinks He Can Take Down Mitch McConnell[/h] He might be right.

By ADAM WILLIS
March 25, 2018

https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...-mitch-mcconnell-sports-radio-217656?cmpid=sf

Jones’ criticism is the sort of anti-establishment cri de coeur that tends to bemorecommon on the Bannonite right. But Jones is a liberal populist—an outspoken champion of worker’s rights, a pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-wrestling NASCAR enthusiast—looking to recapture the Trump vote from Republicans in a state the president won by nearly 30 points in 2016. Jones does have one big thing going for him—sky-high name recognition, thanks to his radio show, one of the most popular local sports shows in the country. Democratic insiders in Kentucky believe he might be uniquely qualified to take on McConnell.
Jones, who hardly lacks for self-confidence, agrees. “If it’s Mitch McConnell, I can win. And no other Republican will, and I don’t think any other Democrat can. But I can,” says Jones, 39,while slouched in a booth at a wings restaurant in Lexington, wearing a faded Cincinnati Reds sweatshirt and khakis. With a short, uneven haircut and a closet of University of Kentucky technical polos and visors, he looks like he would fit more comfortably into a fraternity house than the Senate chamber.
“I’m not a politician. I’m an ideologue,” says Jones, a smile peaking at the corner of his mouth, “and I think we’re in a time when ideologues win.

Jones talks about running for office often, both on and off the air. In 2015, he was recruited by national Democrats to oppose Republican Andy Barr in Kentucky’s 6th Congressional District, but after a political boot camp in Washington, he came away disillusioned with the Democratic Party. He recalls one prominent congresswoman advising the room of recruits that their stances on issues were not important, that raising money was all that mattered. “And that was one of the most depressing things I’d ever heard,” says Jones. He opted not to run that year, and when he made his decision the National Republican Congressional Committee released a statement celebrating the loss of the Democrats’ “last, best, and only”hope in the Kentucky 6th.
But now that he has a chance to put McConnell out of a job—the 76-year-old senator is reportedly planning to seek reelection in 2020—Jones is ready to give politics another shot. “I want that battle,” Jones tells me. He gets starry-eyed talking about it: “The idea that a dorky kid from Middlesboro, who lived with his mom, could take down the most powerful politician this state has seen since Henry Clay—how could you not do that?”

The New Kentucky Project aims to recruit outsiders to run for local government and, hopefully, continue up the ladder to higher offices across the state. With chapters in all 120 Kentucky counties, Jones and Edelen have been on the speech circuit promoting the project. After one speech at a labor lunch in a Louisville hotel in October, burly union leaders with Civil War era facial hair approached Jones for selfies. “Matt is after the truth,” one of them, a leader in the Eastern Kentucky plumbers union, said, “and that is a rare thing these days.”
Jones hopes the New Kentucky Project can act as a unifier amid Kentucky partisanship. The group is organized around four pillars—education, health care, workers’ rights and equality—issues on which Jones believes most Kentuckians, regardless of party affiliation, can find common ground. It’s an optimism that stems from what he identifies as his core belief, “that 75 percent of Americans agree on 75 percent of the issues, and that politics exists to divide the rest, to use the 25 percent they disagree with to divide the people completely.”
Jones therefore espouses a doctrine of empathy that you won’t hear from many liberals today. “I wish the people that I love didn’t like Donald Trump,” he says, “but I understand why they do.” Jones says he is “not someone who will do the game that people do now, on both sides, of ‘this is a good person and that is a bad person.’” He frequently states that he would prefer to talk about issues rather than people, good and bad characteristics instead of good and bad folks. He points to Kim Davis, the county clerk in Kentucky who drew national headlines in 2015 for her refusal to approve same-sex marriage proposals, as an example. Jones says he understands the hearts of evangelical conservatives like Davis far better than those who condemn them: “I know people like Kim Davis, and you don’t.”

I vaguely remember this guy from my time at Duke. He's friends with some of my friends who were at Duke Law. Curious if 2&2 remembers him.

I’m donating money and time to Marshall but I think she’s way too liberal to take down Foxx. The environment is perfect for someone like Joines.

[h=1]This Liberal Sports Radio Host Thinks He Can Take Down Mitch McConnell[/h] He might be right.

By ADAM WILLIS
March 25, 2018

https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...-mitch-mcconnell-sports-radio-217656?cmpid=sf

I vaguely remember this guy from my time at Duke. He's friends with some of my friends who were at Duke Law. Curious if 2&2 remembers him.
Matt Jones is a Conor Lamb type Democrat, except he's a local celebrity instead of a gun happy military vet. i expect their platforms and rhetoric would be very similar.

LOL. Props to Cruz for taking the picture though.

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

LOL. Props to Cruz for taking the picture though.

She unbuttoned her jacket right before they took the picture. No way would Cruz take a picture with her if he had known. Does he look like the type of guy who has a sense of humor?

Damn, Cruz really is a creepy looking mf-er.

Oh I'm sure she flipped around the lanyard before the picture. I'm saying it's good on him for taking a picture with a constituent at the airport instead of blowing her off.

Back