• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

I am a little concerned that some progressive candidates are relying too much on a cult-of-personality approach to winning elections.

That's like saying you're concerned the Warriors shoot too many threes. "Cult-of-personality" or as it's also known having a personality is a pretty good strategy to win elections. Democrats don't go for wonkish candidates who don't have personality.

I worded it poorly -- my concern is not about them winning elections it's about (1) the lack of capacity/actual progressive values to follow through, a la Obama, and (2) the continued expectation that gimmicks are required to win elections

I worded it poorly -- my concern is not about them winning elections it's about (1) the lack of capacity/actual progressive values to follow through, a la Obama, and (2) the continued expectation that gimmicks are required to win elections

Gimmicks like drawing attention to yourself and getting people to vote for you?

Trump’s Base Has Become Too Delusional for the GOP’s Own Good

But the president’s narcissism compels him to undermine this gambit. To acknowledge that Democrats are poised for a landslide would be to acknowledge that the American people do not overwhelmingly approve of his job performance. Therefore, Trump has assured his voters that all those reports about a “blue wave” are fake news, and that Republicans are certain to keep Congress in November. Fox News has dutifully echoed this message, and the GOP base has fully absorbed it. As Axios’s Jonathan Swan reports:

The president’s contempt for mainstream polling and the media may come back to haunt him in November. Several top Republican operatives working on the midterm elections told me Trump’s fanciful “red wave” predictions could depress Republican turnout and, ironically, serve to make any blue wave even bigger.

What we’re hearing: One of those strategists told me he’s detecting something interesting — and concerning — from focus groups of Trump voters. “You have Trump-MAGA loyalists, and their friends on Fox, who have reached a point of not believing polls and media people telling them things are going wrong, that I believe is actually causing the Republicans problems,” the strategist told me, granted anonymity in order to be candid.

“We’ve seen it in focus groups, with Republican base voters, where you’ll come up with a hypothetical that the Democrats win, and people are like, ‘That’s not going to happen, that’s stupid.’ … They’re like, ‘Oh, to hell with this crap, we were told Trump wasn’t going to win. It’s bullshit.’”

… “They watch Hannity… and hear that a red wave is coming to save the House. They really believe it’s going to be 2016 all over again.”

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...?utm_campaign=nym&utm_source=fb&utm_medium=s1

latest

Except for the veteran disgusted by the kneeling who asked the question and the red state he's trying to win, yeah.

Except for the veteran disgusted by the kneeling who asked the question and the red state he's trying to win, yeah.
I really want to believe that question wasn't planted. Anyway, I appreciated his answer, but he didn't break any new ground. The video going viral is just Dems patting themelves on the back for being right, which they undeniably are. IMO there is no approach to that topic that is going to suddenly enlighten conservatives.

I really want to believe that question wasn't planted. Anyway, I appreciated his answer, but he didn't break any new ground. The video going viral is just Dems patting themelves on the back for being right, which they undeniably are. IMO there is no approach to that topic that is going to suddenly enlighten conservatives.

Oh I agree. But the purpose is to get Texas Dems who are patting themselves on the back to get out and vote.

Trump changes tack and says kneeling is great

I will say that its refreshing to see a red state Dem candidate take a principled, polarizing stance, I just hope hes willing to take polarizing stances on issues that he can actually affect with policy and votes.

Back