• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Can someone summarize why Pelosi is so villified by the right? I rarely paid much attention to politics before 2015 so I'd genuinely like to know.

Can someone summarize why Pelosi is so villified by the right? I rarely paid much attention to politics before 2015 so I'd genuinely like to know.

the right just thinks that women should go back in the kitchen and have kids. they don't think they should lead.

Big spending liberal from the most left leaning city in the country who is out of touch with middle America. Not reviled as much as Hillary but is up there.

My problem with her is that she's mistakes facts and misspeaks more often the last few years, I'm guessing due to age, and she's just not the symbol you want to have for your party.

Big spending liberal from the most left leaning city in the country who is out of touch with middle America. Not reviled as much as Hillary but is up there.

My problem with her is that she's mistakes facts and misspeaks more often the last few years, I'm guessing due to age, and she's just not the symbol you want to have for your party.

oh is she the one who helped craft a healthcare bill that is taking away coverage from middle America?

oh is she the one who helped craft a healthcare bill that is taking away coverage from middle America?

Face it, the ACA was mostly unpopular. On the 1 hand, it significantly raised a lot of premiums, including mine. On the other, it got a lot more folks insured - but not enough young folks to help offset costs. So from a cost control perspective, it was certainly wanting. The AHCA looks to be a lot worse, and if enacted, will throw 20mil+ off of insurance - and also will not control costs.

Face it, our current lurch to the populist right is mostly cultural in nature. And until the AHCA starts affecting folks' pocketbooks, and/or there is an economic downturn, almost half the country (and most of the middle and the South) are going to continue to love it when Trump and the Pubs are sticking it to the MSM. No impeachment is imminent, and most of Trump's base is still solidly behind him. His favorability ratings started in the low 40s, and now they're hovering around 39-40. We're going to have to remain patient and let this farce play out over the next few years.

Republicans worked hard to make it tough to get young people into ACA. They chose sabotage instead of trying to make it work so they could have the moment they have right now.

We're seeing now that Pelosi was right. ACA is on its way out and people are finally appreciating what's in it.

It got a lot more popular the last 6 months. But the announced rate increases a week or 2 before election day wasn't helpful to Hillary.

Nobody knows what they have until it's gone or almost out the door.

To be fair, that poll tracks "all adults." A sizeable amount of the Tunnels left is disenfranchised by that standard.

How many did times did that poll show that the ACA was unpopular with the majority of adults? I'll hang up and listen to your answer off line.

Republicans worked hard to make it tough to get young people into ACA. They chose sabotage instead of trying to make it work so they could have the moment they have right now.

We're seeing now that Pelosi was right. ACA is on its way out and people are finally appreciating what's in it.

I still believe the only way you're really control costs is getting everyone on board, which you're only going to do with a single payer system. As a practical matter, you're probably never going to get a Canadian type single payer passed here. But after another even more miserable decade with cost increases and more folks not covered (and with some more of my parents' generation dying off), I'm hoping we can eventually enact a German type single payer plus system. But we're going to have to go through a lot of pain before that happens.

Back